Reboot O'clock - Thursday 23:00 and exciting* poll.

tobyd

Site theme  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Make the 'Beige' theme the default?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/10/20 at 21:55

Need to apply a forum update so this Thursday (1st October) at 11 the site will be down briefly. Since the migration reboots of the server are now quite quick so i don't expect more than a minute or twos outrage.

You may have also noticed the beloved 'Autoshite Default Theme' is a bit wonky - there is a new theme called 'Beige' accessible from the selector at the bottom of the screen which I think should resolve a number of the upgrade breakages and is slightly simpler so future upgrades might not break things as badly. So, my proposal is to set 'Beige' to be the sites default theme. Unless you all vote against it. Changes and tweaks to the newer theme are a little easier to make so the couple of oddities left in the theme should be simpler to wob up.

I do personally prefer the general atheistic of Autoshite default theme, but tbh my only major gripes with the beige theme is the round profile pictures

and the font does not quite work on a normal desktop computer monitor

its OK on a high pixel per inch mobile device screen, but it looks a bit funky on a regular desktop monitor, I think its a little bit too thin if that makes sense? and makes it a little ticker to read

heres a couple comparison shots if it helps :) 

autoshite default theme

image.png.dfa2078955baf615bebec0830f5c0518.png

autoshite beige theme

image.png.3261d1aa8120546e56855aba631e5e40.png

13 minutes ago, tobyd said:

Changed the font to 'Lato' which seems nice enough?

I've made the large avatar icons square and left the small ones alone.

Thoughts?

its better :)  but still a bit funky in some places (especially where the text is of a smaller size like in signatures and ranks)

out of curiosity is there a reason the old font/font set cant be used with the new theme or such? (thinking about it might not just be the font, but the fact certain things that where bold faced are no longer?)

hope im not being too picky! 

I think the old font was Dosis which is what I imported into the previous iteration of the theme? It got removed when the forum updated* the old theme but that appeared to be the font? I think I've always used the blue theme because I found the AS one hard to read?

@Ghosty Should be squares all the way down now.

I voted beige as I assumed my phone was already running it. Turns out it was running default theme. 

I've since had a quick look at beige and I'd like to draw an X though my previous ballot paper please. Default is much easier on the eye. 

Thanks for your work @tobyd. This forum remains my number one daily drop in destination and it's reassuring to know there remain folk out there who are happy to plough time and effort into keeping the wheels turning purely because they're decent people. 

Cheers. 

Oooh the beige theme is nice! I'm on my phone, chrome in mobile view but of the desktop site. 

Everything works! Stuff that's always been a brown box even on the old theme has icons now! It wraps nicely too. The icon padding is nicer too. 

But I do agree on the font, it just isn't easy on the eye. Does Arial not look OK? Or Helvicta? 

12 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Thanks for your work @tobyd. This forum remains my number one daily drop in destination and it's reassuring to know there remain folk out there who are happy to plough time and effort into keeping the wheels turning purely because they're decent people. 

This x 10.  May I ask for one change please ?  The date format on quotes is in the American form of MM/DD/YY, which I find quite confusing.  Can you change it to the English version of  DD/MM/YY  please ?

Thank you in advance.

12 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Beige looks good to me, easier to read IMO.

BTW I've only just realised that I can switch from a mobile optimised view to a desktop view by simply rotating my phone- brilliant!

I didn’t know that either!!! 

You learn something new every day! 

44 minutes ago, Twiggy said:

This x 10.  May I ask for one change please ?  The date format on quotes is in the American form of MM/DD/YY, which I find quite confusing.  Can you change it to the English version of  DD/MM/YY  please ?

Thank you in advance.

go to the bottom of the page and click on Language and change it from United States to United Kingdom (even tho the UK is Default, it was not always like that, so for older members it might be still on the US setting it was for me until a few months ago when I changed it and now dates are in the correct and proper format :) )  

image.png.758515b84b9acde8a71dd139730f7b61.png

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

go to the bottom of the page and click on Language and change it from United States to United Kingdom (even tho the UK is Default, it was not always like that, so for older members it might be still on the US setting it was for me until a few months ago when I changed it and now dates are in the correct and proper format :) )  

image.png.758515b84b9acde8a71dd139730f7b61.png

Thank you !  I`m almost computer illiterate...

• tobyd locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic