Mercedade's SLK 230 Kompressor 1997

mercedade

4 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Would it cause the engine to go pop if you just engaged the supercharger clutch permanently? Maybe with a switched 12v feed with the ignition?

I didn't realise these even had a clutch on the supercharger, I thought they were like any other supercharged engine, as in always on.

The facelift SLKs are 'permacharged*' ie no clutch on the 'charger so I can't imagine it'll do too much harm to bodge the clutch out of the equation?

*note suitable hairstylist reference 

22 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I’m disappointed in all of you! 
Old farts that shouldn’t be trusted with a wheelbarrow. Even after 40 years on the road( if you include me Fizzy, I’m proud to say I still have to try every new car out properly. This means foot to the floor all the way to either top speed, or these days more likely a speed where I think I might just get away without  getting locked up. 
An early 230k auto should be good for almost 150 and a 0-60 time of about 7 seconds, which isnt slow even by modern standards.  Fatha N’s one wasn’t left behind that badly when he followed me recently. And he is an old fart and I was in a Golf R.

I was just impressed the roof worked , I only drove it a couple of times , my wife hated it , bad knees which is why I let it go.

When I showed her the pictures before I bought it  she just said it'll do without really looking at it , what I arrived in wasn't the 4 seat saloon car she was expecting.

On 9/16/2020 at 4:09 PM, mercedade said:

When I picked up the car, Keith mentioned it had a dodgy front  left speaker which had been cutting in and out.

These have a fancy Bose amp set up, so it takes the signals from whatever headunit is installed and pulls it through a Bose staging amp. Then, using only the front channels, it powers a mid-range and tweeter in each door, plus two miniature woofers, one behind each seat mounted in the bulkhead. 

Neither the mid nor the tweeter in the left door work, so I did wonder if perhaps some dodgy cabling had got snagged/broken.

20200814_115456.jpg

However, no amount of wiggling and wobbling could get a signal up and running. I suspect the amp, which lives on a cool little board under the passenger's feet

20200814_123504.jpg

I can see one on ebay for £30 so, once I've done a final shake and wobble, I'll probably just replace it.

Regarding your BOSE stereo set up, have you checked the fibre optic loop? (orange cabling) 

My new Daily is a 2003 53 S500- with the BOSE setup & at the moment it has stopped working (head unit is the comand system, which powers on but then comes up system unavailable & turns off.
It has something to do with the fibre optic cables, if one goes down, the whole thing goes down (like Christmas tree lights, it is wired in a loop)  

Might be worth a look before spending on a new amp.

8 minutes ago, mercedade said:

I haven't, but that's only because I've only lost sound to one of the four output channels. 

I've tried a couple of head units (including one that didn't have the external amp lead connected - took me ages to work out why I was suddenly getting no sound at all...) 

I am not saying that it is the fibre optic cabling for certain, but it is worth a look, someone has previously been messing around with the fibre optic cabling in my S500, I got the radio & sat nav etc working for about 3 days & then it went back to what it was doing when I first got the car, no sound, nothing, just the head unit turning on..doing it’s checks & then saying system unavailable, then turning itself off. I plan to investigate it further soon.

Strange that the supercharger would only kick in at 2000 rpm. Kinda defies the reason for having a supercharger. 

The 'charger on my C32 also has a clutch but that's mainly to disengage it for light throttle motorway running. It is definitely active well below 2000 rpm, it's active just above idle. 

If you were going to have a supercharger that only worked above 2000 rpm there's no reason not to use a turbo instead as the entire reason for using a supercharger is low end grunt.

1 hour ago, Pete-M said:

Strange that the supercharger would only kick in at 2000 rpm. Kinda defies the reason for having a supercharger. 

The 'charger on my C32 also has a clutch but that's mainly to disengage it for light throttle motorway running. It is definitely active well below 2000 rpm, it's active just above idle. 

If you were going to have a supercharger that only worked above 2000 rpm there's no reason not to use a turbo instead as the entire reason for using a supercharger is low end grunt.

It engages around 2000 rpm in N or P - when it's in D, it's supposed to engage around 900 rpm.

9 hours ago, 0ldCh0d said:

I am not saying that it is the fibre optic cabling for certain, but it is worth a look, someone has previously been messing around with the fibre optic cabling in my S500, I got the radio & sat nav etc working for about 3 days & then it went back to what it was doing when I first got the car, no sound, nothing, just the head unit turning on..doing it’s checks & then saying system unavailable, then turning itself off. I plan to investigate it further soon.

I'll take a look, just as soon as I've worked out what on earth 'taking a look' at fibre optic cables means ?

I'm out of my depth as soon as I have to change the dial on my mulitmeter from anything other than 'continuity'

22 minutes ago, mercedade said:

I'll take a look, just as soon as I've worked out what on earth 'taking a look' at fibre optic cables means ?

I'm out of my depth as soon as I have to change the dial on my mulitmeter from anything other than 'continuity'

The fibre optic cables are the orange ones, they plug into each part of the stereo system, so one will be plugged into your amplifier & then so on, they can be unplugged & checked fairly easy. 
when you unplug the fibre optic plug, have someone turn on the radio & you look at the plug, you will see a little red light flash inside the plug as you are looking at it, if it flashes red, this is working, so plug it back in & then follow the orange cable to the next part & do the same thing, if you come across one that doesn’t flash, this will be your problem.

It sounds confusing, but it’s genuinely fairly straight forward to check. 
if you have any doubt, just look up Mercedes Fibre optic cable check, there is a wealth of information on how to check the cables & trouble shoot them.

again, I am not saying 100% that the fibre optic cabling is your problem, but it is certainly worth checking incase it is. 
& if it’s not, then sack my advice ???

• 4 months later...

Long time, no effort.

It was the amp - R170s get blocked up drainage channels under the windscreen and when they backup, they overflow and leak into the passenger footwell behind the glovebox. Exactly where a great big tray of delicate electronics is  mounted 👌

Swapped the amp, and power to all speakers is restored

In other news, I've been trying to resolve the SRS light.

Commonly suspected to be the seat-pad  occupancy sensor (they go brittle with age), a solution appears to be plugging in an emulator box (circa £40 on ebay).

I'm tight fisted, I reckon those will mostly likely be a resistor and *something else* and was wondering if I could just do what I did on the 820 when deleting the passenger airbag and use a 1/4w resistor (2.2ohm) across the relevant pins, or is the *something else* is important?

https://ecu-service.info/en/product/3,emulators/78,mercedes-slk-r170-from-1996-2004-aribag-seat-sensor-plug

Would I want a resistor across the 12v and ground pins? Brown and red on mine

Or would I just need to spend the £40 to be sure?

20210215_115451.jpg

• 2 weeks later...