Fiesta Of Crapness. Assistance, si vous plait

Hello.A colleague at work has a Mk 5 Fiesta 1.4 which runs like shit.When he starts it up it misfires like a bastard and runs on two. The idle is sky high and the engine warning light flashes and sometimes stays on.At a guesstimate I would say a kippered coil pack and a buggered stepper motor - but what's causing the misfire? Fucked lambda sensor? I only say that because (Endura E engined) Ka 3 ran like shit when I dislodged it.I was trying to cook a sausage roll on the exhaust manifold if you must know. :roll:

I think you would be right to start with cleaning out the throttle body and replacing the idle control valve. My Vectra kept cutting out at junctions and idling strangely and this worked a treat. A new 'valve should be about 30 quid from e-bay, if it can be separeted from the throttle body. Some Wynns for the butterfly and that sould improve things I reckon.I'd also say you were right about the coil pack too. Might be worth replacing the leads if the cold and damp is getting into them.

Worryingly, I've had a word and he now says the garage he took it to replaced the coil pack and plugs. It still runs as described, i.e. bollocks.I reckon a diagnostic check at a main stealer might be useful - if it's a wanked up sensor won't a fault code reader suggest what's wrong?Idle control valve is a good suggestion though. I will put it to the Darren.However, he thought yesterday that cars only needed servicing once every three years, so he may take some convincing.His mileage? 37,000 since you ask! Bet the oil's blacker than a white whale on a black background.

Theres not a lot that can go wrong on these is there?EnduraE, is that a xflow without tappets? If not, do they need setting? I'd check the fuel filter, especially if its been run around on an eggcupfull of 95ron.I'd have said plugs and leads too for the sake of a few quid.Over and above that, try checking and maybe cleaning whatever connections you can see and get to under bonnet (lambda etc etc)TPS and throttlebody/butterfly cleaning is a good call too, although I can't think of a fiesta/ka with such problems before.Let us know the outcome.

Hello.

Yo.

A colleague at work has a Mk 5 Fiesta 1.4 which runs like shit.

Is this the 16V donk? Wonder if the injector(s) need cleaning. Otherwise, given that it doesn't seem to have been serviced in YONKS, maybe the lambda sensor in the exhaust is still knacked from that dodgy batch of supermarket fuel a coupla years back :lol:

Hey Wat, i'm no prude and am not averse to the use of some finest quality oaths every now and then, but do you think you might be able to write a post which isnt peppered with random use of the words wanker/cunt/twat/fuck etc etc etc every few syllables?

Dear Anne Oyed,Thanks for your post about the swearing antics of Watanabe. I was sorry to hear that you've tired of his liberal use of expletives left, right and centre. I'm glad that you've got in touch with us so that I can help sort this out.I've looked into his foul mouthed antics, and have commanded him hence forth to stop cluttering the forum up with Anglo Saxon.I'm sorry you're annoyed. I hope you can accept this £5 online payment as a gesture of my concern.Watanabe appreciates your feedback, as it helps him improve his service to his customers, and indeed the world at large.best,Mary Whitehouse.Sorry Bol, I will tone it down xxxxxx :oops:

That's a pretty skilled apology letter, I wish I could do them that good. Sounds really sincere and everything, mine never do. Here's my all-time favourite one which I was reminded of yesterday, I sent it to some fool yonks ago, copied and pasted for interest:"Dear Sir,Re: ComplaintAs per our previous telephone discussion, I write with regards to the above matter.Regrettably, there was an incident which resulted in a problem.Thank you."Never did hear back from him, presumably he was happy with that. Looking forward to the next one from someone, I'm hoping to work in "I trust this resolves the matter and hope not to hear about any further problems".

That's a pretty skilled apology letter, I wish I could do them that good. Sounds really sincere and everything, mine never do. Here's my all-time favourite one which I was reminded of yesterday, I sent it to some fool yonks ago, copied and pasted for interest:"Dear Sir,Re: ComplaintAs per our previous telephone discussion, I write with regards to the above matter.Regrettably, there was an incident which resulted in a problem.Thank you."Never did hear back from him, presumably he was happy with that. Looking forward to the next one from someone, I'm hoping to work in "I trust this resolves the matter and hope not to hear about any further problems".

Haha, I almost laughed out loud reading this. I really should not go on this forum when in the office. So many funny comments

Dont bother replacing sensors etc on these little zetecs, they are quite tempramental unlike the bigger zetecs which are as good as gold. You'l spend a fortune and it'l still run like shite.Get it plugged into a diagnostic machine which will spew out a series of fault codes, which you can then work around.These little zetecs arnet much cop, OMM NOM NOM OIL CONSUMPTION

It's a bit of a long shot but a cheap one.Remove the battery and charge it.While it is off, short the battery leads, first through a light bulb, then a dead short with them clamped together for a few minutes.Bung the fully charged battery back, spend an entertaining few hours resetting the windows, clock, radio, etc.It may work. It may not. It will cost nothing but some time and you don't need to get your hands dirty.