Brownnova’s eponymous vehicle... It might be over for my Nova.

brownnova

Also, spending £350 on a welding setup and learning how to use it opens up a lot of future misery will save money in the long term if you intend to keep living the chod life…

Of course if time is the big enemy you’re kinda boned.  There is a reason cars are often a retirees game…

Having said that, every job can be completed if time is given, even if only an hour or two a fortnight, it just takes longer… 

If you really want to just squirrel it away in a corner and revisit it at some point in the future, I would absolutely recommend an outdoor-speicification CarCoon.  @Crackers has had some recent experience with one of these, and they really are good.  A car put into one of these is actively dried out, and will not rust any further.  Yes, they are a little bit spendy when bought, but the running costs are utter peanuts (you could likely run it from a solar panel if you're so inclined) and you'll then always have it to put another future project in.

If space isn't the primary issue, then it could well be a good option for the time being. and mean that when you do make the decision on it, it's not 2/3/4 years more rotten than it is now.

Second-hand one here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364775783912

And even if in 2 years time you still decide to get shot of it, the CarCoon will still be worth decent money.  That second-hand one has only depreciated by 17% of the cost of a new one! (surprisingly)

4 hours ago, Talbot said:

If you really want to just squirrel it away in a corner and revisit it at some point in the future, I would absolutely recommend an outdoor-speicification CarCoon.  @Crackers has had some recent experience with one of these, and they really are good.  A car put into one of these is actively dried out, and will not rust any further.  Yes, they are a little bit spendy when bought, but the running costs are utter peanuts (you could likely run it from a solar panel if you're so inclined) and you'll then always have it to put another future project in.

If space isn't the primary issue, then it could well be a good option for the time being. and mean that when you do make the decision on it, it's not 2/3/4 years more rotten than it is now.

Second-hand one here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364775783912

And even if in 2 years time you still decide to get shot of it, the CarCoon will still be worth decent money.  That second-hand one has only depreciated by 17% of the cost of a new one! (surprisingly)

Great tip! Thank you! 

On 22/03/2024 at 19:28, rob88h said:

If you do decide to move on the brown Nova, change your user name to whiteyugo and have no regrets. 

Dunno, smells a bit UKIP that.

Joking aside, I remember when I had to crush my RAV4 that @brownnova suggested I could well end up regretting it. I'm about 3 years on from that and it's only now I get the odd inkling of a regret about it. More so when I'm trying to park the thing I have now. It was quite cool to have a 3 door 4x4. I kind of do miss it, but space and a heavily pregnant wife were against me on it.

If you get shot of it, in a few years you'll be in a position to get another one. Well, if there is one to have. There might be, but then how much is it going to be and what guarantee is there that the next Brown Nova is rust free? If it's crispy in the future are you any better off getting shot now?

To echo @Talbot the car, if you (and you should) keep it needs to be somewhere dry. Whether that's in a garage or in the thing Michael Jackson used to sleep in, it needs to be dry. I've had the Lada out in the weather under the absolutely wrong thing thinking it was waterproof. It wasn't, and the bad rust is worse and the not so bad rust is now bad.

2 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Dunno, smells a bit UKIP that.

Joking aside, I remember when I had to crush my RAV4 that @brownnova suggested I could well end up regretting it. I'm about 3 years on from that and it's only now I get the odd inkling of a regret about it. More so when I'm trying to park the thing I have now. It was quite cool to have a 3 door 4x4. I kind of do miss it, but space and a heavily pregnant wife were against me on it.

If you get shot of it, in a few years you'll be in a position to get another one. Well, if there is one to have. There might be, but then how much is it going to be and what guarantee is there that the next Brown Nova is rust free? If it's crispy in the future are you any better off getting shot now?

To echo @Talbot the car, if you (and you should) keep it needs to be somewhere dry. Whether that's in a garage or in the thing Michael Jackson used to sleep in, it needs to be dry. I've had the Lada out in the weather under the absolutely wrong thing thinking it was waterproof. It wasn't, and the bad rust is worse and the not so bad rust is now bad.

I probably will regret it at some point… but… I can now reinvest the money I would have spent on it (and the sale price) in something I can actually use now, and in moving some of the other projects (including whiteyugo) further forward.

I have agreed a sale… it isn’t sold yet, but SSTC. The good news is it will live on.

I’ve also agreed a purchase… but that’s for another day. 

• 2 weeks later...