Some late 80s corolla paint correction..

DaveDorson

15 hours ago, DaveDorson said:

88/9 Toymota Corolla mate.  Little 12v sewing machine engine.  It's all incredibly rover like to take apart though.   

I love those little engines. Just spot on for what they were designed to do.

23 hours ago, drewd said:

I saw this in the tin on Saturday, it's actually quite a cool little thing for what it is. Tombstone seats and a C pillar mounted telescopic aerial to show the world you've made it in life. What more could you possibly want from a car?

There's a lot I could want from a car.

Like not having the rear lights held together with silicone when I want to paint it.

I'm waiting for some Mondeo parts to arrive at the moment and some stuff for the van.  Once they show up I'll go down and do an update on progress.   

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should update this.

It's currently in epoxy with the guide coat in and getting some filler and flat work done.   We decided to take the boot and the bonnet off and mask around the engine because it's just easier that way long term.

I've done a couple of videos with it rubbed back, but I don't think I can attach videos on here like photos.

The biggest challenge really has been that the layers where repairs have been done have reacted oddly with the epoxy, so we've had to dig that back a bit and isolate them and re-do the repairs, but as I said, a job worth doing, is worth doing right.

The owner has seen the update videos, and he's very pleased with the progress.

Here's me moaning to myself about having to strip 2 little hoover handles of paint where it's reacted and your doing a whole car! Cap doffed, we don't see as much of this as we should nowadays! 

Any recommendations for paint stripper that works? That I can buy easily in less than 20l drums... 

2 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Here's me moaning to myself about having to strip 2 little hoover handles of paint where it's reacted and your doing a whole car! Cap doffed, we don't see as much of this as we should nowadays! 

Any recommendations for paint stripper that works? That I can buy easily in less than 20l drums... 

To be honest it's being sanded for the most part rather than using stripper.   I've had some funky reactions when using stripper before so I tend to avoid it now unless I'm removing everything, and then only if I can't get it blasted or dipped and stripped.

• 2 weeks later...

Just about done with the prep and primer now, had to redo the wheel arches as they just kept reacting.

Got to mask it up and then we can start chucking some paint on the car.  The boot and the bonnet are painted as are the doors.

Masking up tomorrow evening and then hopefully getting the paint over it 

remember our brief for this was just make it one shade of white again, don't go to town..

🤣

IMG_20201011_162252909.jpg

IMG_20201011_160658318.jpg

IMG_20201011_160158292.jpg

IMG_20201011_160141852.jpg

IMG_20201011_160127817.jpg

IMG_20201011_160120731.jpg

IMG_20201011_160110271.jpg

• DaveDorson changed the title to Some late 80s corolla paint correction..
36 minutes ago, meggersdog said:

Well done Dave. So pleased it's being painted. Before he was ill, Ken often asked if I knew anyone who'd paint the car. Think it's been in that yellow spray-putty for four or five years. And yeah he took the car overseas ,Cyprus I think.

Next up the Zephyr ?

I can't really take all the credit.   The other Dave is the painter by trade (the guy I share with) and I just help with getting stuff done, the prep until he says "yeah that's properly done" and then he chucks the paint on.

I think he's quite happy with the Zephyr, well I say happy.. he was never fully satisfied with the job that got done before but I don't think he wants to get that done again.

The Sherpa needs a going over but that's a hell of a task..

I'd quite like to get my T4 welded up so I can get it in for an MOT 🤣, and then get on with my beetle restoration.

As a total aside...

Me and the other Dave have chatted with a few of our mates about doing a bit of YouTube content.  

Like a zero budget wheeler dealers, with me as the hapless overweight chancer and him actually knowing how to go stuff 😂.

I think there's a market for our brand of automotive tomfoolery but I'd like to hear from a wider audience

1 minute ago, DaveDorson said:

As a total aside...

Me and the other Dave have chatted with a few of our mates about doing a bit of YouTube content.  

Like a zero budget wheeler dealers, with me as the hapless overweight chancer and him actually knowing how to go stuff 😂.

I think there's a market for our brand of automotive tomfoolery but I'd like to hear from a wider audience

Yes.  I would like to see you buy something for peanuts, then get it running and MOT’d for peanuts.  Preferably something mad like a £250 Hyundai Sonata or Honda Legend.  The obscure stuff is more fun when it comes to parts chasing!

53 minutes ago, Parky said:

Yes.  I would like to see you buy something for peanuts, then get it running and MOT’d for peanuts.  Preferably something mad like a £250 Hyundai Sonata or Honda Legend.  The obscure stuff is more fun when it comes to parts chasing!

To be honest it'd be a case of doing whatever we are offered and can afford to do.