Cross European Collection Mission of Excitement and questionable Decisions #2 - Collection Completed

Schaefft

If anyone thought I would actually pick up my car from a place like this I will have to disappoint. On my way back to the McDonald's in central station for free wifi, which is a little more in line with the autoshite spirit. So many interesting cars on my way there though. Makes me depressed about what I usually encounter in the UK...

IMG_20200913_222304.jpg

IMG_20200913_222402.jpg

IMG_20200913_222450.jpg

IMG_20200913_222939.jpg

IMG_20200913_223050_1.jpg

IMG_20200913_223446.jpg

IMG_20200913_223617.jpg

IMG_20200913_224911.jpg

It's 2:50am and the situation is starting to deteriorate. The 24/7 toilets are closed which also happen to be the only publicly accessible toilets nearby. I've seen a stranger's bare arse after leaving the station, people were screaming at each other and there are bums everywhere. I can only hope that the toilets will be open again soon...

On 9/12/2020 at 2:33 PM, Schaefft said:

Hahaha, maybe! Fortunately traveling from Germany to other countries isn't the issue. Getting from France, Belgium or the Netherlands to the UK however...

I gave up on the idea of going through the Euro tunnel. It would have been the only way of entering the UK while avoiding quarantine. But financially it doesn't make sense, crossing 3 high risk countries with ever increasing restrictions isn't ideal and I'd rather not drive an unknown to me car across half of Europe.

I will however take the ferry from Amsterdam which is still gonna be a 7 hour trip there. It also means Ill have to go into quarantine when I arrive... Can't wait for the awkward arrival.?

All modes into the UK are subject to the self-quarantine rules - no exemptions as the tunnel starts in France unless you know something we don't.

20200706_223437.thumb.jpg.612056df2d60166e2fc24f074b72f6af.jpg

Going the other way - UK to France currently has no French quarantine but then they alas have more than 10,000 new Covid cases a day and as you say situation is evolving rapidly. 

I'm sure you are aware but for info the self quarantine is a electronic form accessible on the .Gov website: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

All the country's adjacent to the UK on the European continenent are now subjec to the quarantine rules - how do I know... I needed to travel myself but it's looking very very difficult. Safe journey.

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

All modes into the UK are subject to the self-quarantine rules - no exemptions as the tunnel starts in France unless you know something we don't.

20200706_223437.thumb.jpg.612056df2d60166e2fc24f074b72f6af.jpg

Going the other way - UK to France currently has no French quarantine but then they alas have more than 10,000 new Covid cases a day and as you say situation is evolving rapidly. 

I'm sure you are aware but for info the self quarantine is a electronic form accessible on the .Gov website: 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk/coronavirus-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-when-you-travel-to-the-uk

All the country's adjacent to the UK on the European continenent are now subjec to the quarantine rules - how do I know... I needed to travel myself but it's looking very very difficult. Safe journey.

The tunnel does indeed start in france. However as discussed before, there is an odd exception in place where, if you are coming from a country that is not on the self quarantine list (so part of the travel corridor), and you promise that you didn't get out of the car in france/Belgium/Netherlands coming from there, you can enter the uk without mandatory quarantine. Theoretically you never mixed with anyone within these countries, and you don't ever need to exit the car while on the train.

Ok - yes I had read that... I did not realise that it would only work with the tunnel - but yes of course you have to get out of the car on the ferry.. so of course it is the only option tunnel-wise.... I'm only going down in to France and Spain on the Q list anyway.

I'd looked at then going on to a 3rd country outside the quarantine zone - spending the required days there then driving back but the drive can't even legitimately include petrol stops - so it all got a bit splitting hairs.

Good luck anyway it looks an interesting trip. I travel quite a lot in France but have not been this year. Still considering it - but the French Covid19 numbers are going up fast at mo alas.

2 minutes ago, loserone said:

is that a pressed steel temporary plate? MENTAL

Yup, stainless too. It's basically a normal plate, only that it goes straight into garbage once it's expired. Or you sell it on eBay to someone planning a drive-by or something.

Have I mentioned that's it's very sunny and up to 31 degrees today? I'm not used to actual summer anymore. The AC in the car better works?

IMG_20200914_115846.jpg

The editor has been a pita so super delayed post, sorry guys. I arrived at the car and saw it for the first time, and first impressions were cautiously optimistic!

So yes, as you can see it is indeed another Lincoln Mark VIII LSC, only it's black and the fairy heavily revised facelift!

I took it for a spin around the block to see if there was anything that would stop it from going on the 5 hour trip back to my parents. The electric steering column adjustment doesn't work (probably worn out gears) and a low coolant message popped up. I was worried that I might have to top it up every 20 miles or so (the coolant level was fairly low and it barely moved at all over the last year or so) but after topping it up it hasn't dropped much after hours of driving, someone might just kept the lid loosely on the reservoir.

I'll give a detailed report about the car tomorrow, definitely a few things that need doing but it made it back so I call it a success! Also witness the professional rear plate mounting techniques.

IMG_20200914_132518.jpg

IMG_20200914_134542_1.jpg

IMG_20200914_183558.jpg

Well, here we go then. I've spent hours today just wiping down the interior which already made a big difference. The carpets will need proper treatment eventually (I have no clue how someone managed to stain them this badly front and back) and I haven't touched the seats yet. I also got a chance to have a close look at the Pioneer stereo that was retrofitted to the car and its actually quite a nice bit of kit, definitely an upgrade from what was in there before and not too badly integrated, so it might stay!

50346778666_91fc7c47c2_h.jpg

The car itself really seems to be in overall decent condition. The damage the seller told me about definitely is the worst bit although the clear coat really is starting to burn off in some areas like under the lights or on the grille, nothing too wild that can't be fixed though. Also lots of bugs!

50346931867_57c22a739c_h.jpg

There's a steering wheel wobble above 75mph which hopefully is just coming from the wheels, I'll have them all re-balanced Thursday morning. The driver side window lifter buttons need a little attention and one of the vents in the dash needs replacing, aside from that its still in remarkably good shape for its age and mileage. Add that to the thousands that were invested by the previous owners and the front suspension components that were just replaced a few weeks ago and I think this really was a steal. There seem to be no real mechanical or electrical issues and the car sounds as awesome as ever. A little more TLC and this could be a genuinely great, super rare cruiser for not a lot of money at all!

50346775696_3350aef109_h.jpg

The radio. Theres a bunch of stuff hanging out of it, anyone got a clue what the mic looking kind of thing could be? Its definitely not a mic...

50346937432_02543f52ca_h.jpg

50346932912_a87caee12e_c.jpg50346771266_23f32b9b18_c.jpg

Also what looks to be an Italian parking disc. I guess its previous elderly owner took this Lincoln on quite the trips.

50346082058_a289929d07.jpg

Proper exterior shots of it tomorrow after I cleaned off the layers of filth.