Cross European Collection Mission of Excitement and questionable Decisions #2 - Collection Completed

Schaefft

Oh yes you bet its that time again!

How can you make your car purchases that little more exciting and questionable? By buying it sight unseen in another country during a pandemic of course!

You might remember my previous European collection mission, which technically never happened since I still haven't collected the car. Its currently at the house of a friend of the seller. It was originally supposed to be fixed up and ready by the beginning of May, Due to this whole pandemic thing and the fact that I couldn't actually leave the UK (and people on the other side also having had to worry about other things) the car wasn't ready though. It still isn't, but I have the promise (and address) of the seller that it will be done, and I should have the chance to see it again when I visit my parents. I might even throw my fuel pump in and hopefully make it run again.

I will be there Monday. However, this is not the car this thread is about! There has been another purchase which needed a little more preparation in advance!

Once again it all started with a search alert on one of the large German used car websites. The car was offered for a suspiciously low price after having been listed for about a grand more about a week before. Further investigation revealed that it was owned by a member of a facebook community I am also member of (somehow the seller must have remembered my comments on his post from absolute ages ago). We quickly got into a discussion, trust was built and a price negotiated. At this point it was clear that the seller just wanted to get rid of it, offering me the car, plus a significant amount of brand new spares, for a rediculously low sum.

Now the reason the seller wanted to get rid of the car was an interesting one. Shortly after purchase (and posting in our FB group) an Audi driver apparently turned around in the middle of the road and just bumped into his car. While the damage wasn't too bad, the rarity of the car (and the fact that it was never sold in Europe) made the whole insurance claim spiel an absolute pita. Long story short, the Audi driver's insurance didnt want to pay the sum needed to fix the car properly (no surprise considering everything would need to be bought and shipped over from the States), he got irritated of the whole story and just wanted to get rid of the car.

I contacted a friend of mine (who I wanted to purchase the car so I wouldnt have to), inquired if he could ask his mechanic to collect it, which he could on super short notice, and off he went.

The car was delivered for a reasonable price, and with his mechanic offering very fair rates, everything TUV relevant was repaired (using the free spares) and the car inspected before I even saw it in person. I will collect my temporary 5-day plates on Monday and hopefully drive it back on my 5 hour trip to my parents without too much trouble.

Maybe, if everything actually goes smoothly. Which it totally will during a pandemic in a 22 year old car. I guess you'll find out!

Hint's (and picture of main visual damage) below!

50331692722_ddeabaae82_b.jpg

50330835463_7bc3138b84_b.jpg

6 minutes ago, loserone said:

Hero!

Wish I had been able to bring something back this week.  A-frame for the 406 for the next trip!

I always feel like I need to use the opportunity. Once again its one of those that don't pop up regularly, otherwise it would have happened much earlier.

Hahaha, maybe! Fortunately traveling from Germany to other countries isn't the issue. Getting from France, Belgium or the Netherlands to the UK however...

I gave up on the idea of going through the Euro tunnel. It would have been the only way of entering the UK while avoiding quarantine. But financially it doesn't make sense, crossing 3 high risk countries with ever increasing restrictions isn't ideal and I'd rather not drive an unknown to me car across half of Europe.

I will however take the ferry from Amsterdam which is still gonna be a 7 hour trip there. It also means Ill have to go into quarantine when I arrive... Can't wait for the awkward arrival.?