Cross European Collection Mission of Excitement and questionable Decisions #2 - Collection Completed

Schaefft

13 hours ago, Schaefft said:

....what looks to be an Italian parking disc. I guess its previous elderly owner took this Lincoln on quite the trips.

50346082058_a289929d07.jpg

Proper exterior shots of it tomorrow after I cleaned off the layers of filth.

Are you keeping that, or would you consider selling the disc? I'd be happy to give that a home.....

Unfortunately it'll be in a random German garbage truck now....

Had the tires balanced today (for a whopping 65 Euros) and used the chance to have a look underneath the car. And things are really looking excellent, there's not a single thing that needs sorting anytime soon aside from the evaporator canister tray that always seem to rot. Someone definitely took care of the car, just a shame the paint looks a little tired in places. Also plenty of undercarriage sealer, not to hide rust (there's next to no rust anywhere) but to hide some dodgy welds on the rear subframe. But those came with dodgy welds from the factory so...

IMG_20200917_103741_1.jpg

IMG_20200917_104821.jpg

IMG_20200917_104833.jpg

IMG_20200916_154008~2.jpg

2 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

what will happen to the temp plates?

Do you want them? I have a bag full of them by now. Even without bends!

I've got my insurance quote for the car today. Under 300 Euros third party yearly, insured from March-October on a seasonal plate, 3000km. Can't complain about that.  It should be properly registered and insured by tomorrow afternoon.

20 hours ago, Schaefft said:

But those came with dodgy welds from the factory so...

Don't they just?  My old Pontiac had bits of mig wire hanging out of a couple of welds in the boot.  From the factory, rough as fcuk.

Great car, is it the newer 4.6 V8?

15 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

Don't they just?  My old Pontiac had bits of mig wire hanging out of a couple of welds in the boot.  From the factory, rough as fcuk.

Great car, is it the newer 4.6 V8?

It's pretty much the same 4.6 all of them had since late '92, the DOHC variant. There's a different intake and coil on plugs, aside from that there's no difference to the '95.

Just getting the car registered now. Having to que up outside, but there was this clean Civic LSi coupe with pre-EU plates driving by as reward. Stuff like this is almost non-existent in the Uk at this point.

IMG_20200918_104238_1.jpg

2 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

Looks better in black than the beige of the previous one, though!

I think black is the best color you can get them in. You need the dark color to see the concave/convex surface detailing, a lot of it is hard to notice on the bright ivory color. The previous car still exists btw, I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with either of them, I think I just need to see how much I like the black one a little further down the road.

Got the reg plates today. They gave me the wrong size for the back and it's not a seasonal plate but the German DVLA closed at 12:00 so I'm just gonna keep them until I'm back over Christmas again.

Bit of touristic advertising for Meissen, weather has been like this each day.

IMG_20200918_121408_1.jpg

The Lincoln has made it back to the UK and Im officially in self-quarantine. The car made it back without major issues, the CEL has popped up for what I assume will be for a slight misfire though. With this being an OBD2 car reading the codes couldnt be easier (something I cant say about most of my cars).

50368638821_9673720a1b_h.jpg

The ferry has been oddly empty, not surprising considering that anyone arriving will be in mandatory quarantine. Next steps will be fixing all the small issues here and there and probably booking it in for some painting in a few weeks time.

• Schaefft changed the title to Cross European Collection Mission of Excitement and questionable Decisions #2 - Collection Completed