Now the MGF Bob the builder thread

chompy_snake

1 hour ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

Just noticed the number plate, almost says SEX and I'd be checking the timing belt too......

It's just had timing belt done with receipts to prove and water pump and other stuff .... You wouldn't waste cash like that if it was displaying omghgf .... And it's 63k not 69k as I thought 

20 hours ago, chompy_snake said:

And our winner is . ....

IMG_20200910_223355.thumb.jpg.ba99e0a712ea035e391ee3d2cea69924.jpg

the perfect winter transport ?

An unreliable, badly made over-rated hairdresser's car. And your MG. 

Note to all .... These are really sensitive to tyre sizes.

185/55/15V front 205/50/15V rear 

Not like the all round 205/50/15's with a backwards fitted directional that was perished ?

I fitted budgets on the front but they are still rated and have good grip ratings

Here's a before and after of the front brakes...IMG_20200911_175947.thumb.jpg.288282183239dc414fa600f60d0dddc7.jpgIMG_20200911_183702.thumb.jpg.49721a0f26e4b9bb0bce29f914facb0a.jpg

5 minutes ago, 2flags said:

Top purchase that man. Always had a soft spot for these. As my youngest daughter has just gone off to uni in 'my' Renault Megane convertable, I find I have space for something topless on the drive. Whether or not it will ever happen though is another question. 

I would say do it before they all disappear and you end up regretting it.

Just try and find one with comprehensive service .... Not comprehensively fucked and rusty 

Looks very smart, that colour really suits it as well IMO.

I remember my dad bringing home a silver one for the weekend when they were new/I was a small boy - at the time he worked for an MG Rover dealer, they were trying to get an intermittent fault to show up, not sure they ever did. Pretty much begged him to go out in it with the top down.

I had a silver y reg one a couple of years back. Paid a grand for it with 20k on the clock. Lovely car but the vvc  was mech was rattling like a bastard. Spent a few hundred quid sorting it and buying a hard top. 

I sold it two years later for the same price via ebay. I do need a proper kicking at times. I still think an mx5 has the edge on them though ?

1 hour ago, paulplom said:

I had a silver y reg one a couple of years back. Paid a grand for it with 20k on the clock. Lovely car but the vvc  was mech was rattling like a bastard. Spent a few hundred quid sorting it and buying a hard top. 

I sold it two years later for the same price via ebay. I do need a proper kicking at times. I still think an mx5 has the edge on them though ?

I don't like the MX-5, I find them cramped and to hard to get in and out of .... And they rot for fun, worse so than the MG F 

Car dead, needs a top end 😆

We thought at first that it was a lifter, it isn't!

Spend a bit on oil and and engine flushing oil (sae20w) and while it's shifted lots of crap.... It's also highlighted that there's glitter in the sump 🙄

It's still merrily ticking away but it does run and drive. Who knows how long before a camshaft falls out 🤷

I have no inclination to swap the engine but it would make a solid project shell for someone..... Offers on a postage stamp as it's as desirable as herpes I reckon with needing an engine 

• chompy_snake changed the title to I have cursed myself mgf is toast!
7 minutes ago, SiC said:

I wouldn't use flushing oil on anything that hasn't long been rebuilt or new personally. 

If it's running happily and the next option is scrap, why not just carry on running it?

Due to the fact that total engine failure is on the cards and knowing that I wouldn't want to put myself in a situation where the motor seizes on a bypass or other fast road. 

I would call that more lunacy than buying an mgf in the first place 

Plus I would rather part it than scrap it for others benefit tbh