Some old pics from my 'hood

pogweasel

Probably completely disinteresting, but I just found these pics on t'web so thought I would share.

Posted Image

Obvious cortina, + Cresta PB, Anglebox, P6 & super minx wagon - whose eyes are good enough to identify the rest?

The 'swan hotel' disappeared many years ago, the building that replaced it is currently being substantially modified, and I was out surveying this bit of street for the contractor 2 days ago. Wish I had some comparison shots.

Posted Image

GALA!!!! Clearly not a popular one. But that Maxi looks smashing. Building closest to the camera on L has gone to widen junction, but this otherwise this looks exactly the same.

Posted Image

Stiletto, Simca, Marina. COOL.

Note all the above shots are what was at one point the A1. I think that 2&3 are after the 'bypass' was built, not sure about 1 though...

1967:

Posted Image

Imp, A35 van, Singer (?) and more.

Posted Image

Mini, LR SII, Bedford CA, old gits.

Posted Image

More of the same, with added Austin (A60?), cortina & Zodiac.

Again this ain't changed much at all. Traffic flows the other way now, but that's it. My idiot friend lives just down there on the right.

Another pic where the only dating evidence is the cars:

Posted Image

"Counties" Austin, Vanguard, Jag Mk10 and VW splitty pick-up (OMG! £1m today) - anyone get any of the rest?

:)

Hey Michiel, I was checking out your contributionz to the 'let's see the abandoned ones' thread on R-R last night. What was the crack with those rows of motors without wheels next to the canal - was that an official Amsterdam dumping ground or something? Just seemed amazing that you had at least half a dozen cars, all obviously derelict, side by side like that...

Those pics came from the city archives, I guess in the sixties you could do whatever you want - everyone seems to park everywhere, broken cars are just left in the street etc so I don't think it was official, nobody really cared though. Back then the town centre didn't have the 'cachet' and silly house prices it has nowadays.

Posted Image

More of the same, with added Austin (A60?), cortina & Zodiac.

The Cambridge coming towards us is an A50 I reckon though A40 or A55 are also possibilities. Not an A60 in any case as there weren't any "round" A60's except for the later vans. :)

I'll have to go and see if I can find some old pics of my hood now...

Well, I've had a hunt around t'internet and its pretty difficult finding any copyable images of a suitable age. Most archive sites tend to dwell on older photos when this whole area was turning from fields into suburb. Not many cars about then.

Found a few farily close by on the London Transport museum site. The first is Brent Cross tube station which still looks much the same, though the parking is arranged up either side of the tarmaced area. That's probably an early 9o48 Herald due to lack of white rubber bumpers.

Posted Image

A bit furether afield this is near Finchley road station but thatr looks like a Nash Metropolitan in front of the Consul!

Posted Image

And a bit further down Finchley road at Swiss Cottage I thought his was worthy of including 'cos of the lovely Dauphine. Apparantly morning rush-hour but I find the lack of anything going, or even parked, the other way incredible!

Posted Image

Ah, this is closer to home and very much suitably shite! Finchley road again but udner the tube bridge at Golders Green

Posted Image

And finally a long lost cinema with Capri and maybe FWD Triumph?

Posted Image

Nice view of Stamford Hill, North London, the area I mis-spent my childhood in (taken from claptonpond.ground-level.org/)All BMC products It must be about 1959 as the trolleybuses were replaced by Routemasters in 1960, and didn't the Farinas come out in about 1958?

Posted Image

It was not only the buses that changed:

'Saturday April 9, 2005

The Guardian

With their wide-brimmed hats, black coats and ringlets, the Charedi community of Stamford Hill, north London, are one of Britain's most distinctive tribes.

They made their home there more than three-quarters of a century ago. Social historians, referring to the vehicles driven by many ultra-orthodox Jews, dubbed the district Volvo City. '

As far as I remember they were mainly 240s in varying states of shiteness

Some pics from my neck of the woods now, I think these were taken around May/June 1992 on the annual Hull to Scarborough run seen here passing through Beverley.

To me now 15 years on, the everyday cars in the background are more interesting than the classic passing by :roll: Don't we all wish we had the foresight to take more car park piccies?

A little Berkeley in this pic with a Mazda B2000 (C371 BAT) there and at the back a Mk1 Strada (EVY 294W) sandwiched between tow Diesel Bluebird taxis with close reg numbers (one is F671 DAG) and Mk2 Fester (C769 DRH), Fiat Panda, Sherpa camper, Volvo 340 and a Renault 18. All now dead and gone probably :cry:

Posted Image

Auatin A35 with a NIssan Sunny and Honda Civic waiting to come out of the junction and Triumph Toledo or Dolomite 1300 (LAT 129P) and just a glimspe of another Strada:

Posted Image

And here's that 2nd Strada again (FAT 167Y) with a fairly recent Fiesta (G754 MRH). Honda S800 is cool and is currently licensed:

Posted Image

Opel GT passes by and waiting is a very early Pug 309 (C377 YPY) with Sunny behind:

Posted Image

Wish they were closer and better quality but ain't it always the case?!

Posted Image

Anorak on: Fiesta is a Popular Plus model, 957CC and not licensed since end Sep 1997 which is about average life expectancy for a C-reg Ford :lol: Looks like it's in the same colour as mine:

Posted Image

The shade, according to a Ford Cars brochure from 1986 will be either Ocean Blue or Maritime Blue, but I don't know which!

• 2 weeks later...