Customisations and the such - not in the Autoshite spirit ??

Bfg

I like subtle mods that make old cars easier to use on a regular basis. So flashing indicators, radial tyres, alternator, electronic ignition, stronger, later engines etc.

I do, however, prefer the outside to remain looking reasonably standard, including ride height, wheels and paintwork.

I like weather worn patina too. Not really interested in polishing!

10 hours ago, Parky said:

Personally anything subtle is good. Putting a Twinair engine in an MG Midget would be a hoot, whereas a Lexus V8 and body kit would be excessive.  For me that is.  Everyone has different preferences but I see no problem with modification.  With electric power trains trickling onto the second hand market I suspect a lot of older cars will find their original ICE units getting crated up in the garage while some ex Toyota or Nissan kit takes pride of place under the bonnet of their MG or Spitfire.  Bring it!

That’s one modification I just don’t understand, pulling the glorious XK out of an e-type and replacing it with a soulless little electric motor. Why on earth would you do that? 75% of the appeal is the noise, the craftsmanship of those chromed camshaft covers and the smell of fuel and oil being burnt. It’s tantamount to putting insulation render over Blenheim Palace to save a few quid on heating bills. 

I tend to agree, although I have seen a couple where it looks like a good choice. Electric DMC? Would go with its futuristic looks I reckon.

There's a guy in California (EV West) doing EV conversions on classics, one is in a baja bug. I like the quirky VW engine but getting more power out of them is expensive, bolting a motor to the original transmission is a simple way to get many times the power of the original engine for off road fun.

There's a video but it's on Motor Trend so I can't link it

image.thumb.png.0a85b7361512da7ca11285198083deb3.png

9 minutes ago, Sudsprint said:

My only feeling is that when a car has struggled on avoiding the crusher for forty or fifty years destroying it identity is a bit brutal.

But then I used to weep at banger races (and in butcher's shops)

Apart from the odd stolen ones a lot of the tackle at Banger Races has needed a feckton load of welding to get anywhere near being in one piece let alone being economically viable to restore. 

I would call myself a "semi-purist". I usually turn my nose up at customs and restomods, unless the modifications are period correct like with this Capri:

ford-capri-front-angle-2-nw.jpg.2bdf7354125c63d67d380c37501bfaf0.jpg

ford-capri-rear-angle-nw.jpg.2b0a0633aafe7e4349f19164f9d5cf80.jpg

Something hotted up with parts that match the period of the car can be quite interesting, I do like looking through some of the stuff featured in Hot Car, Custom Car, & Street Machine magazines from the 70's and early 80's.

What annoys me is the modification of the rare stuff like 70's Japanese saloons, but all to their own I guess.

4 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

I like subtle mods that make old cars easier to use on a regular basis. So flashing indicators, radial tyres, alternator, electronic ignition, stronger, later engines etc.

I do, however, prefer the outside to remain looking reasonably standard, including ride height, wheels and paintwork.

I like weather worn patina too. Not really interested in polishing!

I think original or age appropriate colours are important.  An Allegro resplendent in Rover metallic BRG wouldn’t look right in my eyes.  Tara green would though.  But again that’s a personal thing and if someone wants to do it, it’s their car so their rules!

I watched an episode of Car SOS recently when they refurbished someone's Series One Land Rover, which had formerly belonged to her late mother. It had quite a few modifications including a much later turbo diesel engine.

They were originally considering restoring the Land Rover back to original specification but the decision was made to keep as many modifications as possible as that was what made the vehicle unique and special to the owner, which when they handed it back proved to be completely the right decision.  Yes a original spec vehicle would be worth way more and probably look a lot better, but the value of the vehicle was very much about the emotional attachment to its owner and her memories of her mother.

On the other hand Goblin Works Garage bought a nice Land Rover and slammed it, building it into a lowrider on a unique frame and removing the 4 wheel drive in the process. I didn't like it but ymmv.

My Triumph Toledo hasn't been standard for years. TR7 engine, sought after OD gearbox, uprated rear axle, uprated suspension from and back, polybushed too.

MGF steel wheels, electric rad fan, alloy rad, tacho fitted, painted satin black therefore according to the purists it has the ownership appeal of a rancid butter pat.

Bollocks to them.