A new day is dawning mx5 98 rusty af - sold enjoy new bloke

hairnet

On 17/01/2021 at 13:04, hairnet said:

so hood was put on and chap said leave it up for a week or so to let it relax as it would be tight (fnarr) at first (no yoksher or scotsman jokes please)

due to the weather didnt have chance anyway so until today

had bought a wet.dry vac to sort out the damp footwells so did that and put roof down so it was easier

was i able to put the roof back up

no

pull roof forward hook clips are 6-7mm from hooking - no manner of pulling pushing a farting about would get them closer - only need one to clip on and the other side would do as its told

ffs - was gonna message fella about it - 'you know you said its tight - is there a knack when it new'

but then had a look at the frame and theres the main bit above the seatbelt/b pillar and i moved that about and realised if i pulled that forwards it would do the same to the front of the hood

how do i do that - i dont have 4 hands and the old git isnt strong enuff to help and i cant ask bro in law as social distance bollox etc

so i have one of these and tried this - it only needed gentle pressure forward so thought id give it a go,.........

only had to ratchet a few clicks and it was enuff to seat the clip

fucks sake - it wont be unfolded any time soon now i know this

ps its still less rusty than @eddyramrod's caddy (joke ed)

this doesnt count as reliability issue right :D

@gm 30 sec job took half an hour this nearly happened

large_000000.jpg

this was close but had a cuppa instead then went back out

as i write this its just started raining - thank fuck its sorted

IMG_20210117_123754_736.jpg

Just read this and remembered when I had a new roof put on mine, I needed to be the hulk to close it! It ended up being a  2 person job the first couple of times, but the more it was used the easier it became. 

When I put a new roof on our mk1, It was about 3 inches away. 

I phoned mazmania in knutsford, and the guy laughed. 

Loosened all the bolts at the back, and it had enough material to close. Then tighten up the bolts. 

• hairnet changed the title to A new day is dawning mx5 98 rusty af - seating sorted

is this the exploding seat belt

the yellow block with the wire looks like it goes up the reel of the belt......... or is that to tell you youve not got belt on - i drove it home the other day not wearing (dont judge me) and no bong

thanks

in other news the hood latches better if i do the passenger side first - still need to use ratchet but not as much clicks needed to seat clip - so it might be relaxing hopefully - rather than not take it down as much might remove and latch more often

IMG_20210228_122702_1CS.jpg

IMG_20210228_122716_1CS.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • hairnet changed the title to A new day is dawning mx5 98 rusty af - old giffer alert
  • hairnet changed the title to A new day is dawning mx5 98 rusty af - accrington stanley who are they?
  • hairnet changed the title to A new day is dawning mx5 98 rusty af - for sale cos im a wuss mot sept new hood runs great £1350

so ive decided to sell it 🙄

with the smol bike coming ive not room for them both

132k miles mot till september - hood fitted dec 20 - better seats fitted

dent above osr arch - 3 rusty arches but sills look ok - theres been no mentions of failure rust the last 5 years

theres a clonk coming from osr corner - bush i think (i dont have a jack so cannot investigate - only noticed on shit roads :D )

drivers seat belt doesnt retract properly but ill give it a clean as the lickers say that seems to cure it

has aircon but i think its just ran out (why?!??!?! on a ragtop)

elec windazz and mirrors and flip sony for tunes - no central locking tho (WTF)

got good tyres (all same make shock) have a tonneau for it also

would (and have) gone anywhere in it (fod - south coast -wales) - was planning on scotland and ireland but im doing that on the bike now

for whatever i dont just go out for a no reason drive - maybe im just getting old :D (i dont do that on the bike either)

it gets onto a classic policy (thru the club via footman james)

deliver for train ticket and a cake :D

car in manchester not far from man united footy ground dead easy to get here from anywhere

• hairnet changed the title to A new day is dawning mx5 98 rusty af - for sale cos im a wuss mot sept new hood runs great £1100 see roffle thread
  • 2 weeks later...

so it started rattling (underneath - yeah like theres engine trouble on a japanese car :D )

so its either a heat shield or pipe issue

also clonk on rear (shock or bush)

took it to friendly garage and the arm bush is borked on one side it looks off to one side not central so thats fucked

just looking to see if its easier just to replace the arm that fcck about pressing bushes - probably as i dont have a vice to help so would have to give to someone

exhaust and rattle are the same thing - where the pipe goes into backbox from the side (on these) thump it and rattle and its blowing from that so replace and should be ok

but arch (es) are a possible problem :D

meh fuck fix these llittle issues and deal with the rust later :D

@The Moog can i steal your knowledge re bushes :D

• hairnet changed the title to A new day is dawning mx5 98 rusty af - for sale £1100 see roffle thread - many fixings parts bort