16th Sept - BX Rescue Mission! - ATTN: All Greater London/Croydon/Kent/Orpington shiters - help needed!

SmokinWaffle

That's business.  They *could* have got another £100 waiting for some BX enthusiasts to appear and spend money, or they could frag it and get something in more people are likely to spend money on.  The reason you don't see so much old stuff kicking around in scrapyards these days is that it's just too expensive to keep it lying around waiting for some tight sods to turn up wanting to pay two shillings happence for a complete door.

1 hour ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Are they actually firearms or just some makebelieve nonsense for hanging over the gas fire?

They were replicas, looked convincing enough from two metres away but the toggle switch in place of a trigger was the giveaway.  That and the barrels being thin gauge mild steel pipes.  I think the guy might have been into historical recreations or similar.  

Still we probably could have blagged the Chelsfield Building Society and even though I would like to think no bastard copper was gonna take me alive, the only way I could have done it would have been to bludgeon myself with the shooter.

10 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

it sounds like the sort of car that ZB in Swanley would have taken A few years back - it was owned by Jim Grier, my mechanic granddad’s old RAF buddy (until his death), and they took anything and everything off a car that was salvageable and shelved them. No idea if they still do that sort of thing or just frag it.

I've tried ZB's a few years ago, they just move stuff on to the crusher now.  I suspect, as Vulgalour has mentioned that there just isn't enough money to keep all the hulks they get, even the rarer ones. 

The last local yard that I know of where you could go round and rob the site owners blind get good value parts at knockdown prices was Pick-A-Part in Erith, that went about three years ago, now a Copart auction yard.  Probably be trendy flats in a couple of years from now...

Old end of life cars sadly aren’t Pokemon where we can trap them in some sort of ball thing and wheel them out later.  You just can’t catch them all.

That said I would definitely play Shitemon.  Citroen BX Leader, I choose you!

922DE5DF-84AF-462F-A58D-7B0B9E286101.jpeg

All clean after being filled to the brim with parts and full of leaves, spiders, cobwebs and smelly stuff.  Bonus of my other car peeking in the background. Still need to find a way to fit my indicator as it wobbles about like anything...

Brief update, the Carb sold and a few other bits are pending, the money from selling will be going back into the Autoshite Forum Running costs and maybe a charity - but mostly the former - as I couldn't have done this without all of the kind people on this very forum. It's a rare breed of community.

If anyone needs any random BX parts, let me know!

IMG_20200920_165302.jpg

The indicator should be held in by a bolt on a little bracket, and the two plastic tabs that slot into the wing (you probably already know this), sometimes the plastic slot on the indicator unit goes out of shape so the bolt isn't held in place properly and you can then never tighten it up, theoretically fixable by using epoxy glue to hold the bolt to the indicator unit.  Looks like you lost the little black rubber bumper cap when you lost the indicator too, which is a nuisance since those are almost impossible to find.

36 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

The indicator should be held in by a bolt on a little bracket, and the two plastic tabs that slot into the wing (you probably already know this), sometimes the plastic slot on the indicator unit goes out of shape so the bolt isn't held in place properly and you can then never tighten it up, theoretically fixable by using epoxy glue to hold the bolt to the indicator unit.  Looks like you lost the little black rubber bumper cap when you lost the indicator too, which is a nuisance since those are almost impossible to find.

Thanks @vulgalour - hmm, I haven't seen the little bolt on a bracket you talk about but I'll have a look later on - thankfully the estate had a full indicator with aforementioned rubber bit so I have all I need to replace it sitting on my desk I believe!

The bracket is steel, it's either part of the wing or the headlight surround, I forget which.  The bolt slides into a groove on the plastic of the indicator, that goes through the metal bracket, and a nut goes on the bolt to hold it all together.  You have to take the headlight out to get to it, not that removing the headlight is difficult on a BX since they quite literally pop off.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, barrett said:

@SmokinWaffle did you get the steering wheel or hubcaps off this by any chance?

Didn't get the hubcaps, I have some spare of the same type in my garage though if you're lookin for some. 

I did get the steering wheel too. It's on display on a shelf at work! Can't quite get the weird smell out of it... 

51 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

I did get the steering wheel too. It's on display on a shelf at work! Can't quite get the weird smell out of it... 

Put it in a plastic ziplock bag, or tupperware type box with some baking soda.  I don't know how it does it, but it can neutralise weird smells, particularly organic ones.

4 hours ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Didn't get the hubcaps, I have some spare of the same type in my garage though if you're lookin for some. 

If the price is right, those hubcaps would be handy yeah!

4 minutes ago, barrett said:

That looks too good to break! (yeah, they all do from up top). What are the yard details? I'll share that on the BX club and see if somebody can make use of it

Awesome. It’s David Yarham Salvage at Seething near Norwich. Phone number is 01508 482612.938432E7-7A29-4A70-9E58-7DB5C1517B92.thumb.jpeg.33cb72083248be0927f391628cc57e38.jpeg

97C5CC46-01DF-49B7-851A-9978DAD8148B.thumb.jpeg.471cb9d22abfde39007d1d7fcd63ee72.jpeg

13158723-0102-4B09-ABA2-D3053C93CC8D.thumb.jpeg.556b5c0164fb875e4df0b908ffacb79d.jpeg

FDC40CC7-E1F4-4674-A159-D0C094D7AFEE.thumb.jpeg.e3638c81826218d45a34a375e76f655c.jpeg

23 hours ago, Mr Bump said:

I am in Petts Wood right now. BX quota = 0

There is a BX in Swanley a few miles away from Petts Wood, the owner may be a serial Citroen licker as there is a frilly SM parked next to it most of the time.  Oil slick everywhere on the grass verge!

Will take a piccie when I'm next that way