16th Sept - BX Rescue Mission! - ATTN: All Greater London/Croydon/Kent/Orpington shiters - help needed!

SmokinWaffle

1 hour ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Coathanger

I guess one of these wouldn't quite do it then? ?

OIP.jpeg

I could suggest head torch or similar, looks like there could be prodding in the dark going on (matron!)

I've got a tyre inflator/pump and can get tubing from work that's OK with petrol.  It would be absolutely sweet if it just runs.

14 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

A-frame / trailer / transporter?

If all goes well, and you get in and are able to make it start/run, I'd be thinking you'd want to remove it intact for possible onward poking and recommissioning rather than stripping bits off before anyone else gets to it....

As suggested, I would also advocate you make arrangements to remove it whole now to a location where you can then deal with it later and properly in a realistic timescale.That will give you the opportunity to assess what it is really like and what can be saved, whether that is the whole car or just parts. That will enable you to dismantle it cleanly and in your own time if it is only good for parts, rather than in a rush on a stranger's front garden. Up to you of course, but it might make the job easier and a lot more pleasant to do it offsite.

take stuff for yourself too. Dust mask, gloves etc. Could be any number of deceased animals/birds or animal shit in the thing

Agree wholeheartedly with what others have said on here. see if you can find somewhere you can take it if you can and give yourself time to assess it properly 

On 9/3/2020 at 8:31 PM, lesapandre said:

Like a lot of abandoned stuff the moment somebody shows an interest somebody else gets propriatorial and having got it in bits you don't want to find an executor of the deceased estate (no pun intended) or whoever turning up and going on about 'the valuable rare Citroen'.

Yes, I'd agree with this.

In my experience, people who hoard stuff often have a very different perception of the property - in their eyes this might not look like a wreck.

[personal story redacted as on public side of forum]

Don't mean to be a killjoy!

I would hope that if the property has been sold, then we are long past the probate stage and anyone with a claim to the car will already have made a decision not to bother.

I'm annoyed I can't make it along to this, it sounds like a fun day out. Definitely try and get the thing moved off site for assessment if at all possible... I'd offer storage if I was closer. #prayingforagoodoutcome etc

I suspect the surrounding greenery might present a challenge.  Some shears, secateurs or a saw of some sort might be worthwhile, especially if there is a tree growing through the floor.  

Brakes will undoubtedly be seized and rusted together so lots of penetrating fluid as previously suggested.  Planks to put under the wheels in case the car is sitting in its own divots would be worth having, lots of ropes, foot pump and a trolley jack in case you need to lift and drag it.  The planks can also be a hard standing for the jack if he surrounding surface is soft.

I wouldn’t advocate starting it up there.  Even if it fired up you probably won’t have a clutch and with everything seized I doubt it will move under its own steam.  Upon checking the MOT history F261 FKK doesn’t show any history so hasn’t had a test for a long time...

As a final slightly daft point, some vegetable oil will make it slide along the ground more easily because if the brakes have frozen it will make sense to get some lube between the tyres and the pavement - be sure to clean up thoroughly afterwards to prevent lawyer letters!

8 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

A-frame / trailer / transporter?

If all goes well, and you get in and are able to make it start/run, I'd be thinking you'd want to remove it intact for possible onward poking and recommissioning rather than stripping bits off before anyone else gets to it....

8 hours ago, DSdriver said:

For transportation book a fully demountable, not a beavertail. That way if suspension won't pump up it won't ground in the middle.

If there was a tree growing through the floor it would come out the top somewhere, wouldn't it?

I'm not going to book one for the day, mainly because they said they're happy for me to get it open and see if it's worth recovering or even moveable (if it has no floor) and if it's worth it then I can come back and get it done. For now, I'm assuming it's shagged so I don't waste money or someone elses time. I'll open it, see how the inside is. If it's decent, I'll try to get it started, if it's shot I'll just drag it out a bit to ease taking parts off.

8 hours ago, CaptainBoom said:

I guess one of these wouldn't quite do it then? ?

OIP.jpeg

I could suggest head torch or similar, looks like there could be prodding in the dark going on (matron!)

I've got a tyre inflator/pump and can get tubing from work that's OK with petrol.  It would be absolutely sweet if it just runs.

Please do bring those! I might get a slimjim from somewhere.

8 hours ago, Mrs6C said:

As suggested, I would also advocate you make arrangements to remove it whole now to a location where you can then deal with it later and properly in a realistic timescale.That will give you the opportunity to assess what it is really like and what can be saved, whether that is the whole car or just parts. That will enable you to dismantle it cleanly and in your own time if it is only good for parts, rather than in a rush on a stranger's front garden. Up to you of course, but it might make the job easier and a lot more pleasant to do it offsite.

See above! :-)

4 hours ago, Parky said:

I suspect the surrounding greenery might present a challenge.  Some shears, secateurs or a saw of some sort might be worthwhile, especially if there is a tree growing through the floor.  

Brakes will undoubtedly be seized and rusted together so lots of penetrating fluid as previously suggested.  Planks to put under the wheels in case the car is sitting in its own divots would be worth having, lots of ropes, foot pump and a trolley jack in case you need to lift and drag it.  The planks can also be a hard standing for the jack if he surrounding surface is soft.

I wouldn’t advocate starting it up there.  Even if it fired up you probably won’t have a clutch and with everything seized I doubt it will move under its own steam.  Upon checking the MOT history F261 FKK doesn’t show any history so hasn’t had a test for a long time...

As a final slightly daft point, some vegetable oil will make it slide along the ground more easily because if the brakes have frozen it will make sense to get some lube between the tyres and the pavement - be sure to clean up thoroughly afterwards to prevent lawyer letters!

Very good advice - thank you! Yea, it's sat for 18 years so I'm not holding my breath!

Not going to quote everyone individually - but the advice is very appreciated, please keep it coming! First time I've done anything like this. I have someone with an XC90 and some very strong rope and straps if we need to move it at all. If anyone wants to come along - please drop me a message and join the gang!

7 hours ago, DSdriver said:

In my experience the ground beneath old Citroens is usually liberally coated with a lubricating oil known as LHM :)

2 hours ago, stuboy said:

engineered by Citroen 

In my case, it may have been Dexron III rather than LHM. There may* be odd patches of irregular grass at Stowe House and Little Horwood.....

I am potentially taking Mrs P to nearby Bromley that day and can supply garden clearing stuff including a cordless hedge trimmer which could be helpful.  I also have a trolley jack and various tools.  So put me down as a possible but an address and time would be useful to know!

8 hours ago, Parky said:

I am potentially taking Mrs P to nearby Bromley that day and can supply garden clearing stuff including a cordless hedge trimmer which could be helpful.  I also have a trolley jack and various tools.  So put me down as a possible but an address and time would be useful to know!

Message sent to all interested parties. If anyone else wants to come - please say and I'll CC you on the thread with location/my details ect.

1 hour ago, Parky said:

Autoshite livestream broadcasting from Brands Hatch and there appears to be something happening over towards Orpington.....

5ADD5CEC-3866-4A34-B6EF-07C88CEF1E88.jpeg

18 years worth of clag and mice coming out of the exhaust when it fires into life, either that or me and my Volvo is on its way to the site