Pre booked MOT question

seacow

I know the legalities of driving to MOT have been oft discussed but a twist on the usual question if I may.   Car recently failed MOT on not serious handbrake binding.  I really want to drive a little further to friendly garage as having some other work done just concerned that could be issue if anything untoward happened.  Imagine must be covered under the rule that booked for repairs or test again regardless of distance.

Anyway beware of taking advice from forums etc will check with insurance tomorrow but curious as to thoughts!

If the repairer is registered for MOTs then okay if the car is not taxed. 

Get them to write down the booking.  If possible get them to write the time and date on a business card, with reg number. 

Make sure car is insured. 

If repaired is not registered for MOTs then it's *okay if taxed.  You risk a fixed penalty but not points for having no mot. 

You do however risk points for driving a car that isn't road worthy.  

To be fair, if a car is taxed plod won't normally stop you. 

I let the mot run out on a defender , the garage I use is 40 miles away , I didn’t believe the internet so rang vosa , as long as it’s booked in doesn’t matter where it is as long as you go straight there

as an aside on my mot fail sheet I noticed a section on the COVID mot extension , if you take it in for at test at any point during the COVID extension and it fails that’s it , no more extension 

1 hour ago, Wack said:

as an aside on my mot fail sheet I noticed a section on the COVID mot extension , if you take it in for at test at any point during the COVID extension and it fails that’s it , no more extension 

Which is exactly why none of my extended MoTs have been for tests yet as I can’t do without them if they fail... at least normally you have the two week retreat period to get repairs done as it’s still MoTd, but with this it’s as if tear is done then boom, no MoT so you can’t use it... 

But I will get round to it soon... 

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I've never known anyone to be fined for keeping a non-MOT'd vehicle on the road.  In fact I quite often keep taxed-but-not-tested cars parked on the road outside my house - nobody's ever said owt. 

Me too. Tax they clamp in London. MoT - as long as not driving...no action*. Why? There is no money in it - in fact it costs the state to pursue - and what with budgets it's not worth it to go looking for non-MoT cars parked up. An offence on the move is a different matter - and there are the roadside checks of course.

If they started a new money making scam clamping parked non-MoT cars they would never get any revenue really - be horrendously complex to sort the fall-out.

The only problem you get is some curtain twitcher saying the car is abandoned to the Council - but that is different legislation.

*there is always a first time of course...