Migration downtime 19th/20th - Complete

tobyd

Trying replying on my phone as I can't use the desktop version on my computer.

I always log on by going to unread content. Usually I scroll down a bit and a button on that bottom says open more or summit. Not there anymore and no amount of clicking on empty space will allow me to go back more than an hour?

Tried to reply on computer thread but no reply button to be found?

This Autoshite theme but default is worse just white and blue! 

Is my browser to old or something. Its works Internet. 

20200921_230906.thumb.jpg.223cd0d020188626ce3ab6b772d70434.jpg

20200921_230915.thumb.jpg.a39ed8e1a9b3b3b8e148c2cd231b51fc.jpg

20200921_231214.thumb.jpg.5a5dc9c0f08cdb1a686b39aa4f20e3f5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tam said:

unread content. Usually I scroll down a bit and a button on that bottom says open more or summit. Not there anymore and no amount of clicking on empty space will allow me to go back more than an hour?

You seem to have a different default stream.  If you look at the address bar on unread content, is it autoshite.com/discover/unread, or /discover/21 or something? Change the number to the word unread and set it as your default stream

On 9/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, tobyd said:

Those links looks a bit like BBCode which the update has now deprecated

That's incredibly frustrating.  BBCode is a very useful addition to forum posts.  The main reason I would prefer to have a plain text editor for posts is to be able to edit the BBCode.

On 9/20/2020 at 9:11 AM, MorrisItalSLX said:

If you zoom right in you can read ‘Autoshite’

0716094F-673C-43BA-AAEC-5E3536710AEB.thumb.png.c1609738ae1d92e7e58f6018d45378df.png

I wonder if all the beige and brown would benefit from a contrasting colour, the red from the Autoshite logo perhaps.

Thanks. I've solved it by switching to the blue and white version.

Not sure who did all the work on the update, but whoever it was should be congratulated. Good job.

On 9/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, BL Bloke said:

I've just tried posting some pictures from my Flickr account and all that shows is the url code as below.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jFk5Gh][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50328180632_6d59b61e57_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2jFk5Gh]DSCF1663[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149878910@N05/]timothy jones[/url], on Flickr

I came here to say the same thing - workaround I'm using is when you click the "share" arrow thing on Flickr, scroll over to "share" rather than "BB code" and copy/paste that link instead

Ok, as a stopgap whilst we work on the original theme I've chopped together a new theme called 'Beige' accessible from the theme selector at the bottom of the page. Its largely untested. But most things seem to look alright (I'll also admit I use the stock theme anyway)

I've mostly just put colours from the old theme into the new theme and kept the font (which I think is slightly too small, and hard to read anyway). It should sort out a lot of the contrast issues and play a little better with phones.

So if you have comments and suggestions for it then shout and I'll try and correct them. Or just say its shit and I should be ashamed of myself.

Re: BBCode - This was a decision by the forum software people. I'm not a fan of BBCode as the sterilised HTML from the editor does a good enough job without letting dodgy scripts and iffy CSS getting onto peoples pages but i can see that it does provide some flexibility where the editor cannot. And Yes, the editor isn't without fault but as I've mentioned before its doing an awful lot more than just losing all your posts letting you write things. I think a plain textbox input would be an absolute security hell as everything they input would have to be meticulously sanitised without losing the formatting or anything. The moment people start posting crypto mining scripts into comments there is a very hard-to-resolve problem.

3 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

I just realised the ‘Mark forum a read’ button has gone from the top of the page. Now replaced with a big ‘start new topic’ button.

This is on a mobile device, too.

This button is now

image.png

under the big start new topic button.

or at the bottom of the page on mobile.

@LightBulbFun@keef@Tam

I've located an older android phone (Android 5) - This indeed had some serious issues with the site until I updated whatever version of Chrome it was using and now its ok so you might want to update your apps if you are having problems. This does require a Google account on the phone though. Whatever was installed stock on whatever phone it is (motorola G5?) wasn't playing. I'd assume its upgraded to latest which is fine.

Ipad2's I can't really help with beyond suggesting an update to their software? I try to avoid Apple devices so can't really offer any other suggestions. I'd expect them to still work on iOS 9 though. Again, possibly try a different browser if those are an option (I'm sure i've seen chrome being used on an iPhone?)

IE11 on Windows 8 I'd expect to work but having just checked IE11 on Win10 it doesn't and a lot of the sites scripts are broken - I think IE11 isn't receving meaningful updates or is pretty much of life-support these days so you might want to consider moving onto Firefox or Chrome as more and more things will break. Having looked at the release notes IE11 is no longer supported by the forum software so that'll be why then.

The forum software people don't seen to provide minimum client specs so I'm assuming its a relatively recent browser (updated within the last 12 months) and Not IE.

7 minutes ago, tobyd said:

Ipad2's I can't really help with beyond suggesting an update to their software? I try to avoid Apple devices so can't really offer any other suggestions. I'd expect them to still work on iOS 9 though. Again, possibly try a different browser if those are an option (I'm sure i've seen chrome being used on an iPhone?)

thats the the iPad 2 and other such devices out then, as they can only run up to iOS 9.3.5

and chrome on IOS in that version just uses iOS's webkit rendering engine, not chromes own one, so I imagine it would be similarly broken sadly (if you could even get it installed somehow as apple only lets you download last compatible versions if you have downloaded the app on your account already, so if you have not then your SOL)

thanks for looking into it tho :) 

ill let keef know, so he can figure out what to do from there

To be fair we're not talking about new kit here; On June 13, 2016, with the release of iOS 10, Apple dropped support for the iPad 2 because of its hardware and performance issues.

iOS is an ecosystem which you either buy into or you don't; the biggest benefit is you can hand over support to Apple, but when they stop supporting it it should really be recycled or kept in a museum, not connected to the internet

6 minutes ago, loserone said:

when they stop supporting it it should really be recycled or kept in a museum, not connected to the internet

That's only 4 years old!  Absolutely absurd.  I've 20+ year old computers that can still connect to the internet and do basic stuff (like browse this forum.)

7 minutes ago, Talbot said:

That's only 4 years old!  Absolutely absurd.  I've 20+ year old computers that can still connect to the internet and do basic stuff (like browse this forum.)

No, it's six

The 16GB Wi-Fi and 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G models were discontinued on March 18, 2014

But that's what you get when you buy into that ecosystem.  Buying a nearly-end-of-manufacture iOS device gave you two years of supported use.  Seems expensive per year to me, but Apple stuff generally is.  If you want to be able to keep dragging a device on, make sure it runs something you can support.

I still have an 8086 compaq portable, and a couple of ten year old thinkpads I haven't quite gotten round to giving to Beko, but unless it's to a current patch level it's not used on the internet (or "for demonstration purposes only")

9 minutes ago, loserone said:

No, it's six

The 16GB Wi-Fi and 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G models were discontinued on March 18, 2014

Sorry, yes, I mis-read what actually occured on what date, although the reality of the situation is worse.  Buying a brand-new piece of equipment to find that it's no longer supported just 818 days later is absolutely typical of the throwaway world we live in.  It may well have been end-of-line, but it's still a brand-new bit of kit.

Just another reason why I definitely will not be buying into the iOS bullshit.

8 minutes ago, loserone said:

the situation on Android is not much better

My Samsung galaxy note 1 from 2011 has only just stopped functioning properly with most apps.  It's topped out at version 4.1.4 of Android, which I know is way out of date now, but did still get some security updates for some period afterwards.  The version of firefox running on it is still supported though and still gets updates. 

Android support seems to sort of fizzle away over a period of time, rather than a hard stop on a particular date, so it depends a lot on what you want to do with it as to whether it still works.

It's very frustrating to me to have a piece of hardware that is still perfectly functional, but is rendered useless due to no software support.  The Note 1 I have even still has intact glass and half-decent battery life, it just isn't supported by most apps anymore.  Maybe it's time to Root it?

Samsung are appalling when it comes to OTA updates, as are most of the big manufacturers.  They make their own UI tweaks and then drag updates out often years behind.  I was a big fan of Moto Gs for a while, until I realised I was using a phone that had just been updated for the first time, and was now "only" 18 months behind and still had hundreds of security vulnerabilities despite still being "in support"

Android One, Google Pixel, or a freshly released iOS.  

Yeah, sadly in the mobile space, things lose support much quicker then in the PC/Mac world

I was just posting on Keefs behalf as he was/is unable to post here

(and I happen to have an iPad 2 in my collection of older apple devices, so I was doing some testing for him to make sure it was not something on his end)

@tobyd the only issue I have with the beta beige colour theme is when the little plink noise goes off and the bottom of the screen shows a notification - I can't read what it says. This is more than likely due to my colourblindness as opposed to anything else.

I switched my display to monochrome on accessibility and it does appear to be a little bit clearer.