Migration downtime 19th/20th - Complete

tobyd

Sorry, I need to say this to the admin. You utter, utter bastards! Site was down. I went out. I bought more chod. I have to arrange collection. I return home, and the site is back up. If it had been up all day I would have 1 less car. Think I am going to pass on the purchase cost to the admin, personally.

Thanks guys, the work really is appreciated.

dont know if anything can be done about this since its a case of an old device with an older browser being incompatible with modern website

but @keef PM'ed me to say that he cant view images or respond on his iPad which I believe is stuck on iOS 9.3.5 as its latest OS version

and digging out my own iPad 2 from my collection confirms the issue, you cant respond to messages or threads with it 

I understand theres prolly not much that can be done about this other then for him to get a newer iPad, but I figured id raise the issue incase there is some sort of "legacy mode" that can be enabled or such

(this is where a plain text editor would be great LOL)

Is that using Safari or any browser? iOS9 doesn't seem old enough to already be breaking. If its loading text then it seems unlikely its an SSL issue. Probably need to see the output of the developer tools - no idea if thats even an option on a tablet browser. Is Chrome a thing on iPads?

Presumably this worked prior to the update?

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Sorry, I need to say this to the admin. You utter, utter bastards! Site was down. I went out. I bought more chod. I have to arrange collection. I return home, and the site is back up. If it had been up all day I would have 1 less car. Think I am going to pass on the purchase cost to the admin, personally.

Cheque's in the post*... 👍😉

IMG_0001.thumb.PNG.f4724d01f288270a4adfbdefc7141beb.PNG

here a screenshot from my iPad 2 on iOS 9.3.5 you can see a sliver of the text box, but cant tap on it or anything

I can bring up a console of sorts, but it does not seem to be giving me any logs or such, it may be that that the host OS im using is too new for it

so im firing up an OS X 10.11.6 Virtual machine to see if that can interface to it (but it also has a similar Safari/web kit version and has an option for an iOS 9.3.x user agent if all else fails)

chrome IOS just uses the built in webkit frameworks so that would not be much good sadly

ok I cant get the debugger to play ball with the iPad but the Safari/webkit version in OS X 10.11.6 (which is similar to the one found in iOS 9.3.5) shares the same issue and I can bring up a console/logs there, although I dont do web development so im not 100% sure what id be looking for LOL, but it is flagging up some errors for what thats worth

image.thumb.png.cd8ca65af1731c622248e876bfdff325.png

Would it be possible to make the ‘next’ and ‘previous’ page buttons a more contrasting colour than the background? Or put them in a bubble to make them easier to find?

Likewise, could the area where you write new posts not be the same colour as the background? It used to be white.

3FC543B9-7D29-4426-BAE2-57542FA9EE53.thumb.png.85403c13bbc6e9a62122d758c8b481d0.png

I know I’m nitpicking, but it would make things much easier to navigate. Otherwise, the update is working a treat!

1 hour ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

If you zoom right in you can read ‘Autoshite’

0716094F-673C-43BA-AAEC-5E3536710AEB.thumb.png.c1609738ae1d92e7e58f6018d45378df.png

I wonder if all the beige and brown would benefit from a contrasting colour, the red from the Autoshite logo perhaps.

That's been bugging me this morning and I never knew the text was there! 

None of this seems very WCAG compliant... Although being just a forum I don't think we need to care much about that. 

For the next few days you might want to use the default theme whilst the beige one gets reworked. Trying to work out whats up with older iOS devices at the moment. There aren't any open bugs i can see for them which makes tracking down the problem that bit harder.

45 minutes ago, tobyd said:

From phone (Android / Firefox)

2020-09-20 12.08.12.jpg

from PC

IMG_20200920_121038.jpg

Seems to work for me - Are you using an iPhone? Wasn't there something with those that pissed up the picture rotation a while ago?

I use an Android phone. I take landscape pictures, copy them onto the PC which automagically corrects the photos' orientation and then I upload them to the forum. Might be something I changed, but this has only ever been a problem since the update so I'll do a couple tests with some landscape photography to try and eliminate some possible causes.

Did some more testing.

With the top of the phone to the left:

20200920_130216.thumb.jpg.df30cbcdead0172def6a8b92034601af.jpg

And the other way round:

20200920_130210.thumb.jpg.1039f12dc8af0c3cb8611d49fa73c9c7.jpg

I think we've found the issue.

Both pictures, on Windows, are the same orientation, meaning that the forum software reverts Windows' actions and displays the image as it was taken by the camera. Trying to change the image orientation after Windows has imported the files from my phone does nothing- it still comes out upside down. I guess I just need to take care when taking pictures of things in future.

I've just tried posting some pictures from my Flickr account and all that shows is the url code as below.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2jFk5Gh][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50328180632_6d59b61e57_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2jFk5Gh]DSCF1663[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/149878910@N05/]timothy jones[/url], on Flickr

Those links looks a bit like BBCode which the update has now deprecated. I'd have thought you could just dump the uri's straight in the post though

50328180632_6d59b61e57_z.jpg

I'd rather leave it turned off as future updates may just remove it altogether then there'll be loads of duff links.

21 minutes ago, tobyd said:

Those links looks a bit like BBCode which the update has now deprecated.

why the hell has BBCode been depreciated?! LOL (I know its not up to you but down whoever makes the forum software itself, but I still wonder why LOL)

cant imagine its all that hard to maintain, it literally goes back to the bulletin board days (hence the name Bulletin Board Code)