2CV racing: 2023 season

chaseracer

On 18/11/2021 at 21:48, motorpunk said:

Magnificent! I am 100% up for mucking in on future shenanigans. I have the facial hair of Mansell, the thirst of Kimi and the sponsorship clout of Perry McArthy. Oh, I’ve crashed at the ‘ring in an Alfa, Spa in an Audi, Oulton in a Mazda, Curborough in a Porsche, Llandow in another Mazda, a Cossie at Cadwell, I’ve been black flagged at Zandvoort, caught fire at Donington, later crashed at Donington, busted by the pigs at Monaco and was called a twat by Noel Edmonds at Goodwood. I’m happy to be your tea boy! 

How do I get involved? 

😁

PM me!

Moar.

I would do a meme, but I've done a fair few MOAR memes now.  Maybe on the next update.

So.  Driver change to GB.  Here he is looking TEH SERIUS while adjusting mirrors:

IMG_2716.JPG

Check:

IMG_2720.JPG

Check other side:

IMG_2732.JPG

Car waiting for the next thrash round the track:

IMG_2751.JPG

As mentioned earlier, the ECAS sponsored car had a fairly large off in the first race,  It bent one of the front arms and needed a fairly significant re-build.  Parts were available, so it was going to race again.  Some gentle panel beating was also needed to make the car more 2CV shaped:

IMG_2757.JPG

Everything is an anvil when you need it to be:

IMG_2774.JPG

Straight.  Er.

IMG_2863.JPG

Off goes the car for the second race:

IMG_2859.JPG

In the gap between first and second race for the 2CVs, there was some other racing on.  Specifically these very fast "super karts" which were astonishingly quick, and really very loud indeed.  The 2CVs were positively quiet and smooth in comparison.  I know very little about them:

IMG_2905.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2917.JPG

IMG_2920.JPG

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2942.JPG

IMG_2952.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2979.JPG

IMG_2987.JPG

IMG_2990.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

IMG_3006.JPG

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

Posting this.  Next, the final race.

Last race of the year, and a better vantage point:

IMG_3062.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

IMG_3071.JPG

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3081.JPG

IMG_3083.JPG

IMG_3087.JPG

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3116.JPG

Sun started to come out and the track dried out.  Some great racing by a very close field, and a rainbow to boot:

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3128.JPG

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3155.JPG

went into this bend a bit "hot"

IMG_3167.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3182.JPG

IMG_3207.JPG

IMG_3212.JPG

IMG_3213.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3237.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3256.JPG

IMG_3262.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

IMG_3273.JPG

IMG_3276.JPG

Ryanair overhead:

IMG_3285.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

Bit more 2CVage

IMG_3294.JPG

IMG_3295.JPG

IMG_3296.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG

IMG_3330.JPG

IMG_3331.JPG

The of-course car came back again.  Of course.

IMG_3334.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

And that was it.  Loading back up at the end of the day:

IMG_3343.JPG

Winching on backwards with a willing* steerer:

IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3360.JPG

Citroen towing duties too:

IMG_3378.JPG

And that was that.

• 3 months later...
On 30/08/2021 at 11:39, chaseracer said:

What an utterly mad thing to do.  Sign me up for next year.  Probably...!

Entry fees for 2022 are paid.  

We are rebuilding the 'grey' and 'red' engines, and will build up a third race engine at some point.  Each will have slight variations in power and torque curves to suit specific circuits in the sprint races.  Shit is officially serious this season.

https://www.2cvracing.org.uk/2022-race-calendar/

• chaseracer changed the title to 2CV racing: 2022 season
  • 1 month later...

Cadwell Park, as a season opener (and even if it wasn't the season opener) is a lovely track, purpose built into some fairly rolling countryside, so unlike so many other racing tracks which were originally the perimeter road for an airfield (and hence flat as a pancake) this one is really interesting.  It has a wooded area, hills, great vantage points and quite a nice feel to it.
Having been told that my presence would be welcomed* at the racing meet, I gained a car access pass that would get me in for free this time (grumble, mumble, sixteen pounds etc..) and with some expectation of a decent meet, left West Sussex after work on the Friday for the easy* quick* jaunt up the road to Lincolnshire.

Arriving in absolute pitch darkness at a track you've never been to before is always good for a laugh.  Having had a a very nice welcome from the guy on the gate, I drifted into what I would later discover is basically the entrance to the track.  Oops.  Quick turn-around and back up towards the several-acres-of-paddock-and-camping that there was, and started looking for anything familiar.  Fairly quickly spotted some 2CV shapes in the dark, and then one in blue that looked very familiar.  Journey over.  Tent up quickly, time to say hello to everyone, and then it's time for bed.  A long week, a long journey, and then putting a tent up in the pitch dark is enough to make anyone "a tadge worn out".  It was bleddy cold that night, but I'd cheated and had a duvet with me, which I was able to roll up in like a burrito, so it was tolerable*.

Next morning, it was clear that a fair bit had been done in the dark, as the camp area wasn't exactly what you would call "planned".  Nevertheless, there were plenty of participants ready for the racing:

All three cars that we had teamed up with last year at the 24hr:

IMG_6744.JPG

Yes, the muffins car had googly eyes fitted:

IMG_6746.JPG

Which will move about as the car rolls from side to side.  Much hilarity with this car giving the side-eye later.

Tarts car was rather "blind" in comparison:

IMG_6788.JPG

Team 28 had become (for good reasons that I can't remember right now) team 48.  Apparently this car had in the past worn no.48, so no-one was too worried about the change.  Does mean we all need new merch now, but there you go.  didn't get a pic of it until later.  Some other cars in the paddock:

IMG_6748.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

Remember the ECAS car that had some quite nasty damage at Donnington:  It's back, and looking just the same as it did pre-accident:

IMG_6783.JPG

The camp area was amusing.  Clearly some people don't like being right next to the cars, like billy-no-mates here:

IMG_6787.JPG

Open practice was quite early in the day, so GB driver had to get sorted early.  Here he is, ecstatic* about having a photo taken so early.  Also, clearly now a SUPER driver:

IMG_6740.JPG

Got the car off to register for open practice.  At that point there is absolutely nothing more that you can do as if the car breaks down, we have no pits, so just have to wait for recovery to bring it back.  In the meantime, other jobs that needed doing was the erection (snigger) of the shelter tent:

IMG_6789.JPG

Nice.   The wind, however, was not.  It was absolutely relentless all weekend and was pretty tiresome.  This did at least provide some shelter from it, even if  every bit of nylon on both it and every tent around would just not stop flapping.

Car ready in the holding area to go out for practice:

IMG_6794.JPG

Yes, that's a terrible shot, but hey.  And yes, that's a lotus europa in the background.  There was a fairly eclectic mix of cars there for the weekend.  Open practice starts:

IMG_6796.JPG

IMG_6800.JPG

IMG_6802.JPG

IMG_6804.JPG

IMG_6806.JPG

IMG_6814.JPG

IMG_6822.JPG

IMG_6835.JPG

IMG_6862.JPG

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6977.JPG

The area of the track that I got these from is like a leisurely drive in the countryside.  You're properly close to the track, and with the trees and grass around it feels very "cosy".:

IMG_6927.JPG

It's also a very wiggly bit of track, so there can be some pretty good action going on.

IMG_6892.JPG

Shortly after that, there was qualifying for a single-marque saxo race.  These were quite fast, but it did just look like a McDonalds car park circa 2005:

IMG_6996.JPG

IMG_6994.JPG

More later.  I'm going to do this in chunks again like last time for fear of losing a post before it posts.

Moar.

With less waffle maybe? (Ha! Right.)

After practice, there was an opportunity for some work to be done.  Car 82 appeared to have a bit of an issue with a lean run at times.  Was tracked down to an inlet manifold stud pulled out of the head, so a swift helicoiling was in order:

IMG_7002.JPG

I am always amazed at the access available when the front clip comes off a 2CV.  It's truly excellent:

IMG_7003.JPG

Helicoil fitted and stud-and-nut replaced.  All in about 10 minutes.  The work that goes into keeping these going is impressive.

IMG_7004.JPG

Next, time for qualifying.  As there are two races and these were to be split between the two drivers, that meant two qualifying sessions were needed.  Here's the team boss off to go and qualify:

IMG_7027.JPG

And the holding area where cars are kept before being let onto the track.  This is a bit of an oddity, as it's essentially "halfway" around the track, which kinda works, as it means that the cars only have to go around half a lap to get onto the grid, and then after the race is completed, they can have just a half-lap to then come in, but that isn't at the pits, which keeps things quite smooth running.  It also means that with two holding areas (more later) then once one race is completed, the next lot of cars can be almost out on the track before the last race is done.  It's not quite that quick as the course car does a lap just to check for debris on the track, but it's certainly quicker than I've seen before.

Holding area to go out on the track:

IMG_7030.JPG

and some action from a different vantage point:

IMG_7040.JPG

IMG_7041.JPG

Nicknamed  "the mountain" this bit of the track is *properly* steep.  I've never seen a racetrack so steep before now.  It's quite a spectacle.

IMG_7048.JPG

IMG_7044.JPG

This is just before the mountain, at what is the lowest point of the track.  I suspect the cars are quite near their maximum speed here, but I don't know:

IMG_7052.JPG

IMG_7054.JPG

IMG_7056.JPG

IMG_7063.JPG

IMG_7067.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

IMG_7075.JPG

Moving further "back" up the track, there's a lovely vantage point where not only can you see multiple racers at the same time but also some good close racing action:

IMG_7089.JPG

IMG_7094.JPG

IMG_7107.JPG

But it's also just after a downhill section and fairly fast bend, meaning people sometimes over-cook it and go wide:

IMG_7111.JPG

IMG_7113.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

Meaning you then get an overtake from the car that was behind, as they are suddenly faced with someone off the pace:

IMG_7127.JPG

IMG_7128.JPG

And that's 24 photos, which is enough to make the uploader take over too much of my screen and I can't see to write the post properly, and hence a good point to break the thread.

As always, if (by some miracle) there is a photo here that anyone really likes, there are full-resolution camera-raw images held for every single one of them, and anyone is welcome to either that or the .jpg, as long as no-one is trying to pass it off as their own. (Ha!  I wish I was that good.)

The sharp-eyed photographers here (and there are several) might notice a general change since the last batch of pictures from last year.  These are now full-frame sensor images with a moderately half-decent lens, compared to last year when they were crop-sensor images through a dusty and fungused-up piece of snot.  I am absolutely stunned how inexpensive older DSLR camera kit is now, so have taken full advantage of that!  All I have to do now is use it properly.  Which I still can't.  Not really.

On 23/11/2021 at 21:58, Talbot said:

these very fast "super karts" which were astonishingly quick

Sorry to drag this out of last year but these are brilliant. 100bhp, 250cc two stroke engines with 6-speed gearboxes, they'll crack 150mph on a track and can lap many tracks quicker than an F3 car does. I have marshalled several meets with these as a support series, and the sight of superkarts rounding a corner 6 abreast, flat out, is mind boggling.

My hazy memory of these is that they'll do 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and more worryingly, 60-0 in under 2 seconds. The drivers are all pretty unhinged, presumably from excessive g-force!

They are utterly magnificent in every possible way

Really like the 2cv racing updates, its something I'm a bit sad I never got to marshal before I gave it up - it looks absolutely brilliant and exactly what grassroots/clubmans motorsport should be.

50 minutes ago, Crackers said:

What was the "main event" here? These and the Saxos are normally support races for some form of headliner - or was it just a mixed club meet?

Mixed club meet as far as I can tell.  There wasn't anything that was massively stand-out.  The programme may still be online at the Cadwell park site.

37 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Sorry to drag this out of last year but these are brilliant. 100bhp, 250cc two stroke engines with 6-speed gearboxes, they'll crack 150mph on a track and can lap many tracks quicker than an F3 car does. I have marshalled several meets with these as a support series, and the sight of superkarts rounding a corner 6 abreast, flat out, is mind boggling.  My hazy memory of these is that they'll do 0-60 in under 3 seconds, and more worryingly, 60-0 in under 2 seconds. The drivers are all pretty unhinged, presumably from excessive g-force!

Well.  Funny you should mention that, as they made a comeback here too.  They are UNBELIEVABLY noisy, smoke like laboratory beagles and look utterly lethal.  To be able to run around a track as fast as these go with no harness, a fuel tank under your knees and an engine that doubles as an arm-rest strikes me as complete and utter lunacy.
They also weigh absolutely nothing.  Like under 150kg.  I saw several of them lifted up by two blokes with relative ease and they are really really tiny.  And frightening.  And awesome.  I'm glad they exist, but I wouldn't drive one for all the tea in China.

So.. how did they look at Cadwell?  Like this:

IMG_4633.JPG

IMG_4636.JPG

IMG_4648.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

IMG_4658.JPG

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4676.JPG

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4685.JPG

IMG_4693.JPG

IMG_4706.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG

IMG_4714.JPG

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4719.JPG

IMG_4729.JPG

IMG_4734.JPG

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4756.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

The truck seemed a little excessive when the guy could have essentially just shoved the kart in his pocket and walked back...

Irritatingly I was using a far-too-fast shutter speed for these, so they just look like they're parked on the track rather than actually in motion.  I fixed that later in the day, but hadn't realised at this point.  Ah well, every day is a school day.

A few more oddities that were running around in free practice earlier.  I missed these as I was using two camera bodies, and the files aren't recorded as date and time, which is more of a ballache than I initially thought.

IMG_4940.JPG

IMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

IMG_4947.JPG

IMG_4952.JPG

IMG_4956.JPG

IMG_4962.JPG

This Xsara was massively quick and quite a surprise.  It didn't look or sound anything amazing, but it shot around the track faster than a greased fast thing with extra fastness:

IMG_4968.JPG

IMG_4974.JPG

IMG_4982.JPG

IMG_4990.JPG

IMG_4996.JPG

IMG_4998.JPG

IMG_5000.JPG

IMG_5001.JPG

IMG_5003.JPG

Finally realised the shutter speed issue and got a car that actually looks like it's in motion.  There's more of that to come later:

IMG_5013.JPG

The top of "the mountain" was quite a transition from steep hill to flat, and the faster cars were lifting wheels all the time.  Almost all of them had a little "blip" of the engine revs as the rear wheels lost grip.  Not easy to get a picture of though:

IMG_5038.JPG

IMG_5040.JPG

But I got one.  That front left wheel has daylight under it, and not a small amount either:

IMG_5047.JPG

IMG_5047edit.JPG

Couldn't get the bleddy car in focus though, could I?  Jesus wept...

That'll do for tonight I think.

On 07/05/2022 at 10:42, Pieman said:

Car is currently on track and qualifying at Pembrey - the weekend is live streamed on BARC TV, starting today at 11:45am.  2CV race is scheduled to begin at 2:45pm.

2CV race at 3:15:50...

• 3 weeks later...

Pembrey.  It's a long way from nowhere and a very old track.  It's also lacking somewhat in sineage and is a bit rough-and-ready.  It's also quite short, but I guess for a sprint race that's a good thing.  So, another friday evening was spent driving away from home.  It's immaterial how long it took, it's more the expectation of what you find when you get there.  So of course there are no photos from that evening.

Next morning:  I have started bringing a bike with me to all the meetings, as it's a very quick way to get about, plus I can't walk very far or very quickly, so this is much better:

IMG_8116.JPG

I've got this dodgy little bit here for you:

IMG_8118.JPG

Eh?

Next thing to do was walk the track.  I had inadvertently ended up cycling it the night before while looking for the loos.  There's very little lighting in the paddock area, and as it's within the track and there's no bridge, you can very easily find yourself on the track.  And I did.  So took full advantage of that.  Only took about 5-6 minutes, but it was pitch-black, and I barely saw any of it.   Saw a lot more the next day, but it took a bit longer to walk though:

IMG_8120.JPG

No, the other way!

Start/finish straight:

IMG_8137.JPG

Bend at the end of start/finish, leading into the hairpin:

IMG_8142.JPG

At which point the marshals were running around stocking/checking the marshaling huts, hence the white Nissan thingy on the track.

"Now, this black bit of tarmac is the track".

"No shit, sherlock".

IMG_8144.JPG

Hairpin:

IMG_8145.JPG

IMG_8150.JPG

Most of the "kerbs" at Pembrey are actually just painted:

IMG_8153.JPG

Walking past the cafe/bar:

IMG_8165.JPG

Cameras being set up for the racing action:

IMG_8166.JPG

The one kerb that *isn't* just painted on is a bit of a bastard.  Hit this in a 2CV and you're going to have a bad time.. it was at least 150mm high and solid concrete.  Nicknamed "the sausage of death" by GB, here he is modelling just how high it is:

IMG_8170.JPG

While we were out doing that, one of the site ambulances was being re-purposed as a grounds maintenance vehicle, and a bloke was going round strimming bits of grass as necessary:

IMG_8179.JPG

On to the cars.  You've seen them all several times now in this thread, so no explanations needed:

IMG_8180.JPG

IMG_8181.JPG

IMG_8182.JPG

IMG_8184.JPG

IMG_8185.JPG

"Your door's missing mate."

"Thanks.  Bog off!"

IMG_8188.JPG

This poor car was rather falling apart in places.  It struggled for a lot of the weekend:

IMG_8189.JPG

IMG_8191.JPG

Shelter for team 48:

IMG_8193.JPG

Tarts and Muffins cars kept undercover for the weekend:

IMG_8195.JPG

What has happened to the Muffins car eyes?

IMG_8196.JPG

Not just googlie eyes... it now has ANGRY googlie eyes.  Pfft!

IMG_8215.JPG

"... and this is where we keep the engine:"

IMG_8197.JPG

IMG_8200.JPG

IMG_8201.JPG

IMG_8205.JPG

IMG_8207.JPG

This car needs another team car called custard:

IMG_8213.JPG

Not even sure what this is, (other than a motorised bike).  It looks very 1970s and suited the event very well indeed:

IMG_8214.JPG

Before realising there's a camera pointed at her:

IMG_8238.JPG

After:

IMG_8240.JPG

Breakfast being cooked up by RB.  And superbly tasty it was too:

IMG_8249.JPG

Cleaning the windows:

IMG_8252.JPG

Anyone who even hints that motorsport is a "man's domain" could not be more wrong:

IMG_8260.JPG

(they weren't racing 2CVs.. something much faster and scarier!)

IMG_8418.JPG

"come on then, where's the racing???"

Next post.  Keep your hair on!

Zoooooom:

IMG_8270.JPG

IMG_8274.JPG

IMG_8280.JPG

IMG_8293.JPG

IMG_8298.JPG

IMG_8309.JPG

IMG_8316.JPG

IMG_8334.JPG

IMG_8336.JPG

IMG_8347.JPG

IMG_8365.JPG

IMG_8373.JPG

IMG_8380.JPG

Arse.  it's broken:

IMG_8391.JPG

End of Qualifying session:

IMG_8409.JPG

Some of these pictures might be better developed and then cropped.  I'm quite pleased with how some of the blur effects have come out on a few of them.

Next Session:

IMG_8419.JPG

IMG_8445.JPG

IMG_8446.JPG

IMG_8447.JPG

IMG_8455.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

IMG_8468.JPG

IMG_8479.JPG

All done and time to come in again:

IMG_8480.JPG

Then, as happened a couple of times over the weekend, some aircraft took off.  I had a silly-long lens with me and got a few marginally poor shots of them:

IMG_8487.JPG

IMG_8489.JPG

IMG_8492.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

Slightly menacing skies.  And flaps.

Full flaps:

IMG_8501.JPG

I need a break.

Ibrakefortea.jpg

tea.jpeg

Moooooore.

Once the qualifying for 2CVs had been done, it was time for some other racers.  These apparently are called "legends".  No idea why...

IMG_8503.JPG

IMG_8504.JPG

IMG_8513.JPG

IMG_8541.JPG

I then met up with one of the people who ACTUALLY know what they are doing taking photographs:

IMG_8570.JPG

and got a load of pictures of the truck racing.  These are like racing with thunder on wheels.  I've never heard anything like it.

IMG_8580.JPG

IMG_8585.JPG

IMG_8586.JPG

IMG_8591.JPG

IMG_8593.JPG

IMG_8600.JPG

IMG_8602.JPG

IMG_8606.JPG

IMG_8608.JPG

IMG_8615.JPG

IMG_8623.JPG

IMG_8639.JPG

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8655.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

IMG_8671.JPG

IMG_8678.JPG

Once these had finished shouting their way around the track, we had some american pickups.