HOLY CRAP! Free Renner 19 - wash and fresh* battery

mk2_craig

Yup, starts runs drive stops. Issue is the offside track rod, there’s play evident within the gaiter. I bought a repair kit including track rod but the opportunity to get tinkering hasn’t yet presented itself. 

Would I drive it onto the boat? yes. 

Would I drive it to Peterborough? maybe

I changed a track rod on my R5. It wasn't especially difficult other than I think being the sort of thread that gets tighter the more you wind it in (can't remember the correct term) so removing it felt like I was going to bend the rack. 

Still, if I can do it outside in a car park, it's a Haynes 2 spanner rating job

• mk2_craig changed the title to HOLY CRAP! Free Renner 19 - wash and fresh* battery

I need to pull my finger out and get this old heap sorted. I should be capable of dealing with the steering issue myself, plus trying to get to the bottom of why the indicator stalk isn’t doing anything. Relatively modest old Renner issues, in the context of electric parking brakes and keycards and that. 

I have done nothing to it all winter, apart from let it sit there and flatten its decade-old battery.  In a rare episode of proactive maintenance the local authority has been tidying up all the public areas, so the R19 is less "hidden" and increasingly standing out as the token old crock around the estate (ignoring the immaculate mk1 Fiesta further up the road).

Since I am sensing my neighbours are starting to tire of its presence, I decided to at least wash several years worth of grime off it (semi-successfully carried out in last Fridays lunchtime downpour) and procure a newer type 063 battery from my favourite local supplier - the local metals yard, GR8 VALU at £12.  Fifteen seconds of cranking to draw some pez through the pipes and the 1.4 Energy fired right up, which has boosted my mood a bit.

I did attempt to obtain some parts to rectify various broken bits on the car, this popped up on Facebook a while back:

Screenshot_20220126-112236_Facebook.jpg.0c249a7b015c9b7bb9b971784f8639e6.thumb.jpg.17b05500d70f085bb7f5cbe02e5cf82e.jpg

Screenshot_20220126-112248_Facebook.thumb.jpg.471ba83f3c1210299490bd5b9cbbb076.jpg.b70172fb2ed8b8fdffc36c7825e54c76.jpg

Identical (and probably in better overall condition too). But as is often the case with these types who get called by bereaved relatives to clear out Grandads garage the day after the funeral, and want to maximise their profit instead of just heading straight for the weighbridge, it wasn't entirely clear whether the car was actually ever going to yield any spares: 

Screenshot_20220318-132733_Messenger.thumb.jpg.96585a0788da256f1b4a1c8af8f20cdf.jpg

Anyway I sent back some photos of what I needed to replace and that was where the trail went cold.  Maybe I should head towards the ferry and go on some mad French scrapyard run instead.  Anyway, have a crappy photo of the 19 annoying a different group of residents after I shifted it over a few spaces (making sure the battery negative lead was disconnected once parked this time).  I'll try to keep it a bit more active over the coming weeks.

Screenshot_20220318-133811_Gallery.thumb.jpg.0bdbd2c3cc1f25f107db4d7df0184c8c.jpg

• 6 months later...

Wow, that’s another six months without the R19 having done anything. It keeps getting covered in pine needles, therefore every so often I brush them off and very occasionally I’ll wipe all the grime off the windows. 

E2014D55-8C68-4044-9FED-BF273CCCB8DC.thumb.jpeg.9f6ae84ada54355c6d5a5ba939a10e00.jpeg

Today was different, I did both of those things, then (after a quick charge in the garage) chucked the battery on and ran the engine for a bit. This required directing a bit of lubrication at the choke cable, which had become rather stiff and is also missing its knob making its shaft difficult to pull out (fnarr).

Then ran it round the block to make sure the brakes aren’t seizing on or whatever.

One of my friends has made the mistake of asking if I had an old banger in stock that he can use while on holiday here next month, so it looks like the n-n-n-n-19 is getting pressed back into service soon! I still haven’t done owt about the play in the steering rack or the non functioning indicators, hopefully the latter is something simple like a busted relay.