Rusty *VOLVO* In Scotland - Collection complete!

captain_70s

It's a '89 740 GL, 2.0 with a 3-speed auto + overdrive.

180,000ish miles (odo is borked), pretty much full service history with a massive wad of history. Last owner sent it to the auto-dismantlers as he was getting too old to work on it and was displeased with some faults it'd developed which he couldn't fix.

He'd taken out all the carpets and lower dash for reasons unknown, the boot was full of spares.

IMG-20200819-WA0014.thumb.jpg.63596947295d2d3159b09c85c078e0fc.jpg

IMG-20200819-WA0016.thumb.jpg.4f30f5cb94f1ab027ceee0a397bdcbdd.jpg

At this point I should probably come clean. I bought and collected the car on Weds. I've since cleaned it, reassembled the interior with @davehedgehog31, fixed a throttle switch issue with @davidfowler2000 and driven it up to my parent's place in the Cairngorms on holiday.

IMG_20200823_194246785.thumb.jpg.fc83e951ed1871a1f36d6408fd197f72.jpg

IMG-20200820-WA0041.thumb.jpg.161b79f5782fa7a8e2c0d7ecbc95e089.jpg

Only snag was it shat it's PAS pipe yesterday so I pulled the belt am running without it

IMG_20200823_163911291.thumb.jpg.d63db8c3f073d0b6f91224b2016f8d4a.jpg

4 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Capt. 70s will now drive directly from the scrappy to visit Maw and Paw 70s, at their home near the north pole.

9 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

At this point I should probably come clean. I bought and collected the car on Weds. I've since cleaned it, reassembled the interior with @davehedgehog31, fixed a throttle switch issue with @davidfowler2000 and driven it up to my parent's place in the Cairngorms on holiday.

The prosecution rests.

All the car you'll ever need. Cracking job.

Here's hoping that this'll provide you with some daily dependable transport, allowing Triumph fettling to take place without the pressure of having to get it all back together for the Monday morning commute...

While a 2.0 Scandi lump's not exactly a byword for fuel economy, I found the running costs on my redblock 240 GL (purchase price: £380) were more than offset by the fact it needed nothing more than a headlight bulb and a washer nozzle replacing during my years of ownership. Plus, it could shift rightly.

These are legendary for a reason. Well scored!

10 minutes ago, big_al_granvia said:

blank off the heater altogether then and get one of these units hardwired in, https://www.amazon.co.uk/RoadPro-C3608-High-Power-Heater-300W/dp/B0013TM0Z0

lot cheaper than fannying about trying to source and modify parts

Or a wood burning stove?! Lovely and toasty!

Edit,

Its been done!

https://youtu.be/NdCfZQsZEHQ

That is a fantastic looking Volvo there. Congratulations!! I'm kind of excited for your after all the BL motoring to be driving something that is actually strudy and potentially dependable and not rotten. I'm surprised Volvo still offered a 3-speed auto so late in the day. Kind of a shame it's not a manual, it would be perfect then, but I'm sure the automatic has a charm of it's own. Looking forward to seeing updates on this!

2 hours ago, big_al_granvia said:

blank off the heater altogether then and get one of these units hardwired in, https://www.amazon.co.uk/RoadPro-C3608-High-Power-Heater-300W/dp/B0013TM0Z0

lot cheaper than fannying about trying to source and modify parts

You are joking I hope?  A car heater can put out 5kW if needed, and I suspect to defrost a car of that size and keep it above hypothermia temperatures in winter, most of those 5kW will be needed.  Being a car designed for cold weather climate and being the size it is, it might even be closer to 10kW than 5kW.

300W will do absolutely fuck-all for heating a car interior.  It also puts 25A of load on the alternator at a time when you don't really want to be putting any additional load on the electrical system if you can avoid it, especially not on 30+ year old wiring. 

If it is a failed/failing heater valve there must be some modification that can be done to either repair it, or delete it and locate it elsewhere.  Plumbing isn't rocket science.

6 hours ago, captain_70s said:

was displeased with some faults it'd developed which he couldn't fix.

Have you worked out what all said faults were/are and hence whether they are fixable?  It certainly looks bodily in stunning condition for a 31-year-old car, I'm guessing/hoping that rust isn't one of them.