I very much think this is a bad idea. A Morris Camper?

Spurious

Well it made it to the next town for an MOT test ?

IMG_20200911_110438431_HDR.thumb.jpg.73a5166c70797d041a3bdc08b9dae02a.jpg

Actually drove quite nicely, got up to 50mph before catching up with a motorbike ?

There's a noise like brakes rubbing which was really bad when I picked it up and was there a bit when I set off but seems to have gone.  The gearbox has loosened up which is nice as you can tell you've found a gear now but feels more agricultural.  I was going to come the long way via the lanes but fannyed about far too much and had to use the A road complete with steep hill which saw me down to 20mph although I think 30 would have been possible if I was a bit more used to it.

And the result is test aborted due to a large section of sill missing to clear the doorstep.  Kind of a result as it means it's not on the system with 500 fails on the list and the bill will be lower.  Had a look and already decided to replace the pressed sills with smaller box section so just need to make it in a way to clear the step.

In the 90s my dad had a 1984 Sherpa Tipper with the B series diesel. I remember at the time the direct injection Perkins Prima engine looked positively exotic, a leap into a bright and exciting future which sadly he did not attain instead stepping into the relative modernity of a 1985 mk2 Transit with the York 2.4 engine.

I'd like to think a recovery truck would have more structural integrity ?

12 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

So wait, is this a factory conversion or a shed built bastard lovechild of a caravan and a recovery truck?

Might get this made up as a windscreen sticker ?

Got some tinkering time today, I attacked the rusty off side sill with the grinder and a chisel. 

IMG_20200915_103545321.thumb.jpg.fcd47de2fa3d04c3fd4658ae87f53aae.jpgIMG_20200915_134335022.thumb.jpg.9f1a4ab22089207dd780982956d8cdb8.jpg

Once I was bored of that I tried to get things working inside by opening the side lockers.  Unfortunately I didn't have the keys so the doors are all inside after I removed the hinge pins.  Is anyone scrapping a caravan and has spare locks?

16001851270312669099579811119143.thumb.jpg.7127242c1d274ed8c05ff5ae891ae6db.jpg

It's running again too which is always reassuring.

If it's an old Thetford toilet, the weak point on the flush is the microswitch beneath the deck. Ask me how I know. Unfortunately after protracted work to replace this, the man I paid to replace the shower tray judged the power feed to the toilet to be redundant and lopped the wires off before sealing the new tray in...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Currently a little confused about the chemical toilet, I've filled the flush tank on the outside with rinse fluid and fresh water but it's not flushing.  The internal wiring isn't very confidence inspiring either ?

16001888796984764336993505212185.thumb.jpg.6e0d96f85e9f353fbc2898889ade9f6d.jpg

An RS inverter buried in that lot.. Bet that was a few quid..

That was giving me ideas earlier that it would be a useful vehicle to take to work so I could leave the engine chugging away and power some tools but the girls would be less than keen on the effect that would have on the interior ;)

Its also making me a little nervous about what voltage loose wires might be so I might disconnect it for the time being.  I put a spare car battery in as a leisure battery which showed most of the lights worked but not much else.  It would be good to test the fridge and whatnot so I'd best think about some gas soon.

In other news I've managed to get all the cupboard doors unlocked so they can go back on the van tomorrow.

36 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

showed most of the lights worked but not much else.

if there are any fluorescent lights fitted, please try and grab a picture of any tubes fitted before you use them regularly so I can ask you to save any rare ones for the collection if possible  :) before (assuming they have not already been munched!) they get munched by the cheap and nasty inverter ballasts these campers normally have (a lot of low voltage DC fluorescent tube ballasts dont run the tubes anywhere near their rated current, so the cathodes never get up to their proper temperature and sputter to an early death)

5 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Sorry Dez, someone has been here before and swapped them all for LEDs ?

fucking hell you mean someones given this heap some attention in the past 10-20 years?! LOL

(probably a fairly sensible upgrade in this use case, given the above on DC inverter ballasts, outside of stuff like bus lighting, the only decent Low voltage fixture manufacture I know to use actually decent ballasts are lab craft light fixtures IIRC)