I very much think this is a bad idea. A Morris Camper?

Spurious

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

@Spurious Did you buy it?! I see the ebay ad has been pulled. 

If you missed out, he's got a mk1 MR2 listed for £3.5k. Wrong wheels, rusty rear arches and windows are tempermental, but I'm sure it's great apart from that. You'd need to sleep in it, regardless of comfort issues after the wife discovered how much you'd spunked on a ratty mk1. 

Careful, you don't want to take the piss too much. He might threaten to sue for defamation of character . I seem to recall he got all legal threats during the Dave before seven saga.

STOP PRESS!!!!

Ebay informs me that the Sherpa Motorhome is BACK ON SALE

I'm mortified to discover that I am unable to bid on this slice of pure misery as I don't meet the bidding criteria:

NO BIDDERS WITH LESS THAT 100 FEEDBACK WITH 99% OR BETTER -GO DREAM ELSEWHERE

I think that 'Dream' might be a bit strong, but it certainly will involve some altered states of consciousness somewhere along the line

On 8/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, wuvvum said:

If you really fancy a Sherpa camper but Breadbin's is too salty, how about this beauty*?

s-l1600.jpg

Just realised this is just down the road, seriously considering buying it if the rot at the back isn't too bad as its really hard to find somewhere to camp with a tent at the moment (apart from the Field of dreams).  Wonder how hard it would be to put the 200tdi out of the Disco into it?

1 hour ago, catsinthewelder said:

Just realised this is just down the road, seriously considering buying it if the rot at the back isn't too bad as its really hard to find somewhere to camp with a tent at the moment (apart from the Field of dreams).  Wonder how hard it would be to put the 200tdi out of the Disco into it?

Assuming it doesn't clash with any steelwork it shouldn't be too hard, the gearbox will be a LT77 and the bellhousing should be the same as the disco.

I came to the conclusion that if you

• didn't want to pay scene tax
  • or put up with rusty shitty air cooled (or even worse, wasserboxer) crap
  • be able to drive any distance
  • want to camp in the thing
  • still want to be able to fix it yourself

then a Mazda Bongo fitted the bill best of all. Yes, they rot too, so check carefully. Mechanicals are bulletproof, with a smooth diesel and autobox. Low coolant alarm is worth fitting.

I wouldn't want a Sherpa / LDV. Old enough to remember how shit they were new, and drove older ones as a school minibus a few times - I feared for my liberty, following the seemingly inevitable horrific crash and multiple child deaths. Luckily that didn't happen, but the LDV / Sherpa's precise* steering, intuitive* gearchange, crisp* performance, sharp* brakes and safe* handling fought me every last yard of the journey.

18 hours ago, sloth said:

someone buy it and lob a rover v8 in from an ambulance. job jobbed.

No need

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333700926488

F04EB6E8-2744-487E-BBE3-0B59CE4A7A42.png

C2C77079-7904-4E70-96E3-D37B76F0D3D0.png

AA76BDED-335C-4818-A7C5-5F925830F112.png

07F8BA93-3F16-4426-B613-4E0F1566B139.pngThe camper part looks very good but , hmm that toilet looks a bit of a challenge I’m not really sure I fancy taking a dump with the door open while the wife is cooking the bacon 3ft away 

9A271CDB-AAEC-4B4F-A888-2BB380CDC5BB.thumb.png.6a115ddb30dd934bf458e1e63956925f.png

6 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Were you to do that, I would imagine that the first press of the loud pedal would result in it snapping in half.

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I've never found LDVs that unpleasant to drive.  Slow, sure, and the seats are rubbish, but they're not actively horrid.

I willingly holidayed in a pre-power steering non-turbo T35D Master for six years, but I wouldn't go to the end of the road in a Sherpa. Make of this what you will...

1 hour ago, strangeangel said:

I willingly holidayed in a pre-power steering non-turbo T35D Master for six years, but I wouldn't go to the end of the road in a Sherpa. Make of this what you will...

I would take an LDV 400 over a Master, but only because I once got a Master completely stuck at the end of a narrow cul-de-sac (due to the utterly shit turning circle) and the embarrassment put me off the things permanently.

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I would take an LDV 400 over a Master, but only because I once got a Master completely stuck at the end of a narrow cul-de-sac (due to the utterly shit turning circle) and the embarrassment put me off the things permanently.

Climbing a few of Cornwall's more serious hills in first was as embarrassing as it got for me. I could see how the turning circle might catch you out though, it was pretty shit. Those Sherpa/LDV things are Straight Outta the Stone Age though; I tried an LDV400 when I was shopping for the Master and it made the latter appear as if it were from the 25th Century by comparison.

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I made the local radio news in Northampton once , took a wrong turning in a huge 7.5t box van , dead end , nowhere to turn around so I had to back up onto Wellingborough road which was busy , no fucker would let me out even though they could see what I was doing , somebody had parked a car opposite the junction so I had to do a 28 point turn between 2 cars with some old bloke watching me back and forwards 

the queue was 1/2 way to Wellingborough and into the town centre by the time I got it out , I made the traffic report , fame at last 

9 hours ago, wuvvum said:

LDV's were lovingly made in Washwood Heath.

If you've been to that particular area of Birmingham, you can understand that the products were a reflection of their environment. The sad thing is, even with the LDV plant gone, the area has slumped in to even more depravity. 

13 hours ago, catsinthewelder said:

Going to look at it at the weekend.  I used to drive a couple of Convoy minibuses and didn't find them that bad.  I've driven a worse Vectra ?

I was/am hoping to get a chance to drive @Zelandeth's camper van but ill happily settle for this low rent budget autoshite version if you bring it to the FoD or such LOL

although I take no responsibility if when I chuck* it into one of the corners at the FoD if the coach built bit simply just tears away from the chassis of the vehicle like a disintegrating caravan :mrgreen:

(but yeah would be epic if you got it :) )