Citroen C6 bought, low cost big liability ?

Frogchod

On 10/21/2020 at 8:59 PM, artdjones said:

Is there any PSA HDi in existence that doesn't have a glow plug fault logged.

Maybe on the showroom floor.

I bought a new set of plugs before I knew this fact.

They're still in the box until it really breaks.

In other news, the C6 is still working.

Place bets on how long for.....

I had a C5 1.6 HDi for 5 years.I put Lexia on it when I first got it , and there was a glow plug fault logged.The same fault was there from 98k miles until 185k , when I sold it. It just came off the road at 230k,never having had the fault fixed ,and always starting perfectly.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot to report, it's still working :)

Very little use due to lock down mk2.

It has been out in darkness,  lights are a billion times better than the XM. 

Interior lighting is cool, nice non distracting illumination where it's needed.

It turns all interior lights on when the key's removed,  long enough to see what you're doing getting out.

A feature I didn't know I needed...

Very welcome as dark means fucking dark out here in the sticks.

Computer says 28mpg, which I don't think is too bad. Mostly town use ,and I may* use the loud pedal quite often.

XM is still here. I still think it's the more comfy vehicle, but ,blimey, does it feel crude in comparison, especially the engine.

• 2 weeks later...

It's still working...

I've been out today on client visits,three clients and around 150km.

Less town work so mpg up to 36 and a bit, about the same as the XM

One client now wants a C6 !  She had a Pluriel ,Jag, Prious and a couple of wierd Toyota day vans. Shame she's married.

Proper dark on the way home, noticed that the lights look around corners :)

I was going to video it but it appears it only works if you're moving. Spoilsports...

• 1 month later...

I also bought a cheap broken C6 recently, and have been enjoying it thoroughly. I've had to play with handbrakes and suspension so far, but the gearbox replacement is the bit that is the most pressing and yet the job carrying the highest CBA-factor, in equal terms.

I agree with a previous poster though (may have even been the OP) - buy a broken one and learn how to fix it. You get a crash-course in how the cars work!

7 hours ago, richykitchy said:

I also bought a cheap broken C6 recently, and have been enjoying it thoroughly. I've had to play with handbrakes and suspension so far, but the gearbox replacement is the bit that is the most pressing and yet the job carrying the highest CBA-factor, in equal terms.

I agree with a previous poster though (may have even been the OP) - buy a broken one and learn how to fix it. You get a crash-course in how the cars work!

Is there a thread for your C6 ?

• 2 weeks later...

It's still working! 

I've done 280km today sat on very welcome heated seats. 

Only big issue was getting in. 

When you pull on the door handle the widow is supposed to drop a bit to clear the frame. 

Except when it's frozen in place, then you can hear the window motor going nuts trying to do its thing. 

A bucket of cold water sorted that. 

The lack of sevicable glow plugs was evident on starting. It took several revolutions to fire and then sounded like a bag of spanners for 30 seconds. 

It was minus 6, so I don't blame it, I went back indoors for another brew... 

I defrosted my Rapier using water many, many years ago. Whilst I got in OK, when I got to the station it was still so foooking freezing that it had frozen the glass to the for seal and I couldn't get out. Missed my train, took about twenty minutes before the internal heat warmed things enough to open the door.

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Cento16v said:

It’s great stuff, brings rubber back to new if it’s not falling apart.

I used to use Krytox but it’s very expensive, this stuff is much cheaper but protects and softens rubber and stops door seals etcs freezing.

Will be ebaying it. Many thanks 👍👐

2 hours ago, Cento16v said:

It’s great stuff, brings rubber back to new if it’s not falling apart.

I used to use Krytox but it’s very expensive, this stuff is much cheaper but protects and softens rubber and stops door seals etcs freezing.

Farecla UV wax does the job.

Gummi Pflege really just means rubber conditioner, it should definitely help with frozen to the seal doors!

This thread really makes me want to get a C6. I know that this is just one of many ownership experiences but it's so tempting. There was a high mileage one for sale for around 1800 quid, if it wasn't silver...

• 2 weeks later...

ok

19 minutes ago, Frogchod said:

As the C6 has been behaving I treated it to a posh wash and wax car wash on Saturday. 

Since then there's been a nice warm wind from the south that's dumped half the Sahara in France. 

IMG_20210223_140940.thumb.jpg.d55257ce8859eeac555028f95c2113bf.jpg

10 euros wasted 😣

I washed cars today and the Audi hasn't moved in weeks and I was wondering what that was.