I wanted a sensible standby car - XJ6

Lanciaman

Having had the Outback off the road for a week with exhaust delays, decided I needed a standby car. Having had Z3 and Lancia Ypsilon come and go this summer was down to the outback and non registered 8.32 . So, what is cheap to run, and low road tax.  Eventualy settled on a Laguna 3,  1.5 dci.  Tax not a lot, quite like the things and reasonable money for a decent one.  So ended up today with the bloody XJ6 I had 4 years ago coming back......!    I bought it from a pal, I sold it to another pal, he sold it back in a swap deal to original pal and now back to me. This is a 40 owner car with 3 folk actually owned it!!!

Can it be justified? Well, man maths comes in here.  53 plate.  High miles at 155k. But known it the past 35k miles.  It is actually in bloody nice nick. So, no cheap tax, mpg aint so bad really (3.0 Outback reference point here). 

Anyway, cost me 1400 quid - what else can you get for 1400 quid that is well sound and ready to go?  Look at gummy at it will get a fooked Focus.  

So, 2 cars. Both 3.0 6 cylinder gas hogs.  One day sense may kick in....

I imagine I will soon think I don't need a standby so it will be on here soon in For sale.....

jag.jpeg

Not worth having anything you don't love. Ive just retired her mk4 golf 20vt for a mk6 fiesta st. It looks like a training shoe, its loud, hard as a board and the fuel consumption is worse than my 330ci. In every way its worse than the golf. And I love it. Keep looking for an excuse to go out again. Thats why we are car people ?

Good move there from sensible to just nice. My experience of the 3.0 V6 in the X350 was that it suited the car really well. What with the aluminum construction I did not find it lacking in performance and the fuel economy is in the 30s MPG. It kind of makes the 3.6 and 4.2 V8s kind of pointless. The diesel is too scary in terms of maintenance and potential problems. I'd say if you want an X350 either buy the V6 if you want a nice car, or the XJR if you want something really special.

I almost pulled the trigger on this but in the end the lack of AC and the length of lockdown put me off , I left it too long and the decision was made for me when I got a message saying it was gone , still wondering if I made the right decision as I do like jags but I really want an XJR .

2 hours ago, Lanciaman said:

It's a cracking example and cheap enough to allow a bit of spend to sort the ac. In theory. I'll barely use it so if you feel the need! 

I've bought an E280 since which I've fallen for in a big way , I havent enjoyed driving a car this much in a long time , quick enough ,40mpg average and such a lazy drive , all you need is a right foot and a right hand 

Indicating needs a left hand but being a German car that's optional anyway 

looks like a lot of car for 1400 quid

Always fancied one. I "won" a nice looking dark blue LPG one , one owner decent mileage on ebay about 2 years ago. Sadly when I went to collect I got a bad feeling about it, and used the huge scrape down the side of the car which had been deliberately not mentioned or photographed on eBay to back out the deal

maybe one day......

2 minutes ago, Lanciaman said:

It's actually OK on fuel. Miles better than the outback. 30mpg plus realistic.  Outback runs lpg which is just as well. I drive it like a pussy and it does around 21mpg on lpg. 

yeah I heard they ok.  Probably not too different to my current Volvo v40 with 2.0L petrol and slushbox auto.  Just need to find a sub 1500 quid one now :)