more incoming unpleasantness.............

Rocket88

2 hours ago, colc said:

Yup...........and I presume that you're now going to tell me that nuns and kittens are going to die....................you are obviously wildly concerned for my safety, for which I thank you.

I wouldn’t want us to fall out because of my response to your contribution to my BMW wanted thread. I’m not here to make foes.

MANY years ago I used thick MDF boards to mount bucket seats in an Alfa Romeo Sprint. Sometime later I was involved in an accident and.... nothing happened, my seat fixing did not fail and I did not end up flying out through the windscreen. However, now that I am 25 years older, I wouldn’t consider using wood to secure a car seat. I am sure that even BL used properly designed metal fixings, no doubt for good reason. I hope that your installation stands the test of time.

4 hours ago, Peter C said:

I wouldn’t want us to fall out because of my response to your contribution to my BMW wanted thread. I’m not here to make foes.

MANY years ago I used thick MDF boards to mount bucket seats in an Alfa Romeo Sprint. Sometime later I was involved in an accident and.... nothing happened, my seat fixing did not fail and I did not end up flying out through the windscreen. However, now that I am 25 years older, I wouldn’t consider using wood to secure a car seat. I am sure that even BL used properly designed metal fixings, no doubt for good reason. I hope that your installation stands the test of time.

No problem..but when you consider BL's "proper designed metal fixings" bear in mind that two of these were the only thing holding Morris Minor two door front seats in !

E00F01E2-5D34-44BC-9A97-43A6D870980E.jpeg

You'll want a steering wheel knob for extra giffer points. I feel your pain there, 3 full revolutions of the steering wheel to pull into my driveway...

I wonder if this would pass the Mousse Test*.

You probably can't turn the steering wheel fast enough to pass the Moose Test, though.

Phil

*Turn the steering wheel as fast as you can and if a blemonge on granny's finest crockery sitting on the back seat slides to the other side, you pass

57 minutes ago, PhilA said:

You'll want a steering wheel knob for extra giffer points. I feel your pain there, 3 full revolutions of the steering wheel to pull into my driveway...

I wonder if this would pass the Mousse Test*.

You probably can't turn the steering wheel fast enough to pass the Moose Test, though.

Phil

*Turn the steering wheel as fast as you can and if a blemonge on granny's finest crockery sitting on the back seat slides to the other side, you pass

The twirling would be a lot more bearable if The Maquis de Sade [ Issigonis, you bastard] hadn't made the driving position so wilfully uncomfortable...........hence the replacement seats, and looking into dropping the column a bit.............

On 8/28/2020 at 3:09 PM, colc said:

After driving this ungrateful old shed [it's actually quite endearing] 18 miles to T.Wells on it's bumpstops, to get the suspension pumped up, I get a call to tell me that both rear sphere hoses are leaking. Got it recovered back here, and spheres being removed on Monday, and sent for reconditioning................Total cost, about £100 with postage , which is pretty reasonable.

Might have to invest in a pump to re-pressurise it after fitting.

Apart from the rather scabby body, and rear end droopiness, all other mechanical bits seem in good order. Quiet engine, good clutch and box, and steering seems ok., as are the brakes. Statutory B series leakage is present, of course. Driving position is awful [wonder if you can fit one of those Mini column drop thingies]

Who did you go with in the end? T.Wells so i’d bet either Pete or the garage he used to work at!

On 9/1/2020 at 4:23 PM, colc said:

Yup...........and I presume that you're now going to tell me that nuns and kittens are going to die....................you are obviously wildly concerned for my safety, for which I thank you.

I’m partial to a bit of a bodge, now and then, but that’s a bodge too far for me. The inertia of any impact, even low speed, will pull the fasteners right out of the wood and you’ll end up with a face full of steering wheel and windscreen. Take care. I’m enjoying this thread and the car looks great. ?

1 hour ago, motorpunk said:

I’m partial to a bit of a bodge, now and then, but that’s a bodge too far for me. The inertia of any impact, even low speed, will pull the fasteners right out of the wood and you’ll end up with a face full of steering wheel and windscreen. Take care. I’m enjoying this thread and the car looks great. ?

What you can't see is that the back of the seat is welding to a sheet of steel covering by the red vinyl, which is in turn bolted to the original 1800 runners.........the most flimsy part of the arrangement is the original fixing of the runners to the car.........!

2 hours ago, Rod/b said:

Who did you go with in the end? T.Wells so i’d bet either Pete or the garage he used to work at!

Jim Litchfield Engineering.......Powder Hill lane......nearest to me who had a pump. He discovered that the Flexi hoses on both sides were shot..........car recovered back here, rear suspension removed, hoses and spheres on there way to Blackpool [!] for reconditioning...................