more incoming unpleasantness.............

Rocket88

4 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

That’s rare, MK1 isn’t it ?

Yes, mk1 but hopefully late enough to have the revised steering rack ratio.  Early ones required a ridiculous amount of arm twirling (unless the optional power steering was specified, which always had the higher ratio).  Of course it may well have had the rack replaced during its life anyway,,,

My Grandad had a new D reg one as a company car and then a couple more to follow as a joinery shop manager.

One weekend he turned up in a young Triumph 2500 Pi telling us he was trying it as the person who had it had left the company and he had been offered it instead of his 1800. He found the Triumph a bit cramped and kept the 1800.

That's glorious. I want to sit in those seats. I've had many mk2 Crabs but only one mk1. About 25 years ago I was driving past the petrol station at Ropley near Alton where this two tone beige and white mk1 Austin was sitting. The guy in the car noticed me eyeballing him from my Triumph 1300 and promptly flagged me down and offered to sell it to me there and then. Said he'd bought it to race it but if I wanted it, it was mine for £60. He even had the registration document with him and offers to deliver to my house at no extra cost (they were going that way anyway). Possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done.

It wasn't road legal but that didn't seem to worry them. Unfortunately I never got it back on the road as I had too many other projects at the time and passed it on to a fellow Landcrabber but I spent quite a lot of time just sitting in it. Even bought some leather food for the seats. 

12 hours ago, Yoss said:

That's glorious. I want to sit in those seats. I've had many mk2 Crabs but only one mk1. About 25 years ago I was driving past the petrol station at Ropley near Alton where this two tone beige and white mk1 Austin was sitting. The guy in the car noticed me eyeballing him from my Triumph 1300 and promptly flagged me down and offered to sell it to me there and then. Said he'd bought it to race it but if I wanted it, it was mine for £60. He even had the registration document with him and offers to deliver to my house at no extra cost (they were going that way anyway). Possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done.

It wasn't road legal but that didn't seem to worry them. Unfortunately I never got it back on the road as I had too many other projects at the time and passed it on to a fellow Landcrabber but I spent quite a lot of time just sitting in it. Even bought some leather food for the seats. 

The days of the £60 car.................last one of these I had was an 1800S........1982.....£150 !

59 minutes ago, colc said:

more pics

EBC3211D-1B3B-4416-B49E-845D0BC58E8A.jpeg

Looks wonderful .. but relative to other cars in this piccie - it looks to have shrunk.  I remember them as big chunky cars .. You sure you haven't been fobbed off with an 1100 ? :P

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

That's a grand old thing.  Mirage with Plum interior?  Excellent number plates too.  Crabtastic.

I thought Mirage, but unless it has had a blow over, it is too early for Mirage which was a circa 73 or 74 Colour, polished primer we used to call it.  In the later pics this looks more Dove Grey.

it looks a fine old machine