Make America Ugly Again

PaykanHunter

51 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Wait for @danthecapriman!  Here is one of us who deliberately and specifically bought and fitted a set of Federal headlights to his Volvo, and I've seen it; looks good to me!

Never heard of someone intentionally federalizing their car, everyone is after Euro spec parts! ?

24 minutes ago, PaykanHunter said:

Never heard of someone intentionally federalizing their car, everyone is after Euro spec parts! ?

Apparently, in the US they like to convert their cars to the Euro style headlights. Over here people have started doing the opposite.

Everything I've done on mine uses Volvo parts or OE spec parts designed for the car so it all fits as it’s supposed to, which also means if you put the original Euro spec bulb holders back onto the wiring the original Euro lights will all go back on with no trouble. I’ve kept all the parts in a box should I ever want to or if I ever sell the car.

14 hours ago, PaykanHunter said:

I would love to know how many Americans bought the SD1, and why?? ?

According to Wikipedia, so I'm sure it's true, the SD1 was only officially sold in 1980 and 1981, in 1981 480 were sold and in 1981 774 were sold. Some unsold ones carried over into 1982.

Almost without exception, the septic-spec modification of a euro-spec headlamp is a complete dogs breakfast of styling.  Some work a little better than others, but most of them just look exactly like what they are: an afterthought.   The Volvo kinda works, but then that's only because it has square boxy styling in the first place, so the square headlamps fit the overall style.  That Rover looks gopping.

I can see why so many American cars of the 70s used shutters over the headlamps.  Big square heavy barge of a car with silly little round headlamps at the front just doesn't work, so hide them in normal service and only uncover them when it's dark.