Davies four wheeled fun

Daviemck2006

A cording to the service book it had a belt at about 80k then another at 160k. Its now over 240k. The car is mint inside and good outside. It's obvious the left front wing has been replaced, it does not quite fit correctly but it is a pattern part. The front right seems solid, just very slight bubbling and a slight dent. If it was a grotty filthy thing in the past it certainly is not now! You would have no idea looking at the inside, and driving it that it was, even at the first belt change at 80k. The only fault I can find is the headlights are crap, the lenses faded. But 3000 grit then 6000 grit trapezoid discs then tcut should improve that.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

It now has new timing belt, waterpump, tensioner, coolant and auxiliary belt. It's not home yet, when it comes home it will get oil and filters. Dan says the front brakes are ok for now or else he would have changed them, but it needs a track rod end and a wheelbearing. It shall get these items in the near future.

The car is home and oil, oil filter changed today and the wheelbearing and track rod ends investigated. I had it jacked up and both front wheels off. The wheelbearing is fine, the problem was the hub nut was slack. The drivers side TRE is knackered, and the rubber on the other side is split. So two new TREs ordered, will be put on and then the alignment done. The car is running amazingly well for 240640 miles covered. There doesn't look to be any rust underneath it for a 15 year old car either. Presumably because it has lived most of its life in the middle of England, not where it is now, about 500 metres from the North sea! It has another tyre fitted today too, I found a part worn fulda winter tyre the same as the other one on the front so that went on. I'm not usually happy with only two winters on the front and summers on the back, butmoney had to count, and I'm nearly at £200 of parts now so another £100 for two tyres just now was out of the question. This is supposed to be a cheap runner to save the Leon from the rigours of pizza life!

• 2 weeks later...
Key fob related or mirror glass. Otherwise I'm out.
Mirror glass is the answer. Hardly the cars fault, parked on the high street outside my work whilst collecting deliveries. I'm quite surprised the culprit did not get the bosses landrover discovery as well as I was behind it!

The headlights of the bora are absolutely crap. I'm going to have a go at improving them. I'm intending using the da sander, first with 800 grit discs, then 1600, then 3000 trapezoid and then 6000 trapezoid discs. I think that should improve matters. Then I will have to think of what I can treat them with which will slow down the rate of them deteriorating again. Does this sound like a decent plan?

If it's not bad enough that I have fibromyalgia, have had 4 back operations and am in constant pain, I fell down the last two stairs today and landed on my arse and am now struggling to walk or even move. That's despite swallowing double the amount of prescription painkillers I usually take. If no better tomorrow a visit to the doc or to A&E may well be on the cards. I think there will be no fiddling with cars or delivering pizzas for a week or two. And daughters car needing an MOT within 3 weeks, for which it needs two new tyres which are ordered and hoping to get in the next day or two. I can manage to take it for the tyres for her, but going to my long time MOT man, 10 miles away and standing waiting while the test is being done may be past my abilities just now. Have to see what the next few days bring.

• 3 weeks later...

Daughters car got two uniroyal rain expert5 fitted and passed mot with advisories for both front discs slightly corroded. I was expecting that, and it's more from lack of use lately and her staying between me and the sea.

I'm still off work since I fell, but will be back this coming week. I haven't seen the bora since I fell, my friend with the problematic golf 1.4 has a loan of it while a local garage is trying to fix it. The car sales place she bought it from is paying the bill to get it running then she is going back to Liverpool and they are taking it back and she can pick another car. That seems to be a good result for her.

yeah, heat gun around the edge, and the old ones pop off. i used marine sealant to wob the newies on with. 

these ones are placca but same same

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-Replacement-Plastic-Headlight-Lenses-Cover-for-VW-Jetta-MK4-Bora-99-04-UK/383477938279?fits=Car+Make%3AVW|Model%3ABora&epid=14041286121&hash=item594910f867:g:YPsAAOSw8gBeezOE

49 minutes ago, sloth said:

yeah, heat gun around the edge, and the old ones pop off. i used marine sealant to wob the newies on with. 

these ones are placca but same same

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2PCS-Replacement-Plastic-Headlight-Lenses-Cover-for-VW-Jetta-MK4-Bora-99-04-UK/383477938279?fits=Car+Make%3AVW|Model%3ABora&epid=14041286121&hash=item594910f867:g:YPsAAOSw8gBeezOE

Not sure you can change the lenses without removing the headlamps first.....which means removing the front grille and bumper to get at the bottom access screws and clips.

Hmmm I may just have a go with the orbital sander first then. If I knacker them then at least I know I can just replace the lenses.I have 1200 grit discs and 3000 and 6000 trapezoid discs. But first job will be fixing the door handle. That will totally do my head in doing a delivery shift and getting out and in the car god knows how many times in 6 hours

22 hours ago, Daviemck2006 said:

The cable connecting the door handle to the door latch has broken so until the new one arrives I've got no door card and opening the door with a bot of wire. At least I can get out lol

Better than one day when I assisted getting one of the coaches on my school run back to the depot when the throttle linkage failed...I wound up dangling through the floor hatch with a bit of string (actually a shoelace) tied to the fuel pump to provide throttle inputs.  The intention had been to shout instructions, but with my ear about 5" away from a Bedford Y series engine I couldn't hear anything else...so ended up going by ear on engine revs and memory of where the road went - up to and including managing double-declutching. 

Sounds like a story from the 60s, but this was 1999 I think!

TKS 666T.  That bus was nothing but trouble the whole time I knew it.  Eventually catastrophically overheated and completely seized one day.  Leaving it stuck in the dip just before the farm at Thorneybank...If it had made it another 100 yards they'd have been able to park up out of the way...rather than completely blocking the road.

Better than one day when I assisted getting one of the coaches on my school run back to the depot when the throttle linkage failed...I wound up dangling through the floor hatch with a bit of string (actually a shoelace) tied to the fuel pump to provide throttle inputs.  The intention had been to shout instructions, but with my ear about 5" away from a Bedford Y series engine I couldn't hear anything else...so ended up going by ear on engine revs and memory of where the road went - up to and including managing double-declutching. 
Sounds like a story from the 60s, but this was 1999 I think!
TKS 666T.  That bus was nothing but trouble the whole time I knew it.  Eventually catastrophically overheated and completely seized one day.  Leaving it stuck in the dip just before the farm at Thorneybank...If it had made it another 100 yards they'd have been able to park up out of the way...rather than completely blocking the road.
I once drove Hays vanhool b10m from Aberdeen to huntly with a big nut wedged under the idle screw so it was idling at 1100 revs. No throttle just had to select an appropriate gear to get an appropriate speed.

• 3 weeks later...

The bora is keeping up its 500 miles a week average. I got it today for my deliveries and found that the back brakes are scraping. There is a new set of discs and pads in the boot. I have no idea if they are front or back. It will need the back wheels removed for a look see. I wont have time tomorrow and probably the weather wont be helpful. I will use it for work tomorrow evening, then hopefully on sunday get the pads and discs off it and hope the discs and pads I have are the correct ones. If they are not then it will be Monday before I can go brake bits shopping.

• 1 month later...

The bora still has not got it's new brakes. It is now on SORN due to a few reasons. The rover is doing what the bora did for now. It's too cold for me doing the brakes, needs pads and discs all round, and at least one track rod end. I have all the parts. The MOT is due in 3 weeks. I also have a slight lack of money right now. The Leon's MOT cost a fair bit with the headlight replacement saga, a service and two tyres, the Hilux is in a garage just now needing a bit spent on it too for its MOT tomorrow. It's not good having all the MOTs in one month in winter! The bora is going to be a keeper, as is the hilux so I want the MOTs to be split up a bit, so the bora can wait a few months as long as the rover behaves. The leon is going to be advertised for sale once things improve, ie covid restrictions lift, and I dont think the rover will be a keeper for long, just until the bora goes back on the road. The rover, being lowered and having the sports back box, is too low and suspension too hard riding for my liking, which is a pity as I do like it. It sends some bone jarring shocks up my spine, which is not good with me having had a few back operations. The rover is covering a fair few miles now, but not adding to its mileage as the speedo ain't working.