Davies four wheeled fun

Daviemck2006

After chris picking me up, taking me to his house my mobile banking app decided to play silly buggers and blocked me and my card. FUCK FUCK FUCK! About 1/2 an hour later on the phone and I got it sorted and got the man paid. Poo count still zero. Off to the petrol station then3cd82c8f16d0ed0a10c29e9130fae9e7.jpg
16a10fc64488a912517760aba4689bb9.jpg
1ad328af8d296cbbc208a4078918e7e4.jpg
e26ee35a328b522aa845402bbb4dbbc9.jpg
6 &1/2 hrs after leaving the fuel stop and 391 miles later I am in my own bed, knackered!Still got well over 1/4 tank left, trip computer says 42mpg, 5hrs 40odd minutes driving time and average speed 70mph.
Poo count still zero, breakfast couldn’t have been enough. First impressions of the car to follow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Average?!? Fuck me you must have been booting it. They're not a bad old beast the Bora, at 238K someone must have been looking out for it, it'll go on for a while yet I bet
Every inch of it apart from the first one mile and the last 40 miles which was deserted single carriageway I know like the back of my hand, was on motorway or dual carriageway and on the cruise control at 80. So nipping on but not being stupid. Well the 60 miles between Dundee and Stonehaven was at 70 on the cruise as it has average speed cameras.

The car has a remarkably full service history stamped up, including two cam belts. It is also in really good condition for 15 years and 238K. All in all I'm happy with it.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I have just had a good look over the bora. It is a rare thing in this area, a vw group car that still has wings on it!usually the front wheelatches are rotten at 10 years old. In fact my own leon is showing the first signs of rust developing at 8 years old. I would say the bora drives as good as said leon, and said leon is at 74k I think. The only think I an not too enamoured about is the tyres. But that's more because I'm fussy with tyres, not that I buy premium tyres cos I don't, but just because there are 4 different makes on it, including one winter grip with good tread and one budget well worn on opposite sides of the front. The soare is unused and original to the car but I won't be using it as at 15 years old its probably fucked by age. The two rears have both good tread but again mismatched budgets. But if that's the only thing I can find to dislike on a 15 year old car with 238k covered then there's no problem really. Theres even a brand new set if discs and pads in the boot

Goodyear Efficient Grips. They're not especially expensive, great economy/noise figures and my god they grip like limped, especially in the wet.
Weah, I have had them before and was well impressed. My tyre of choice in the recent past has been in royal rain expert. I shall price some up, but I have a set of Leon 16" alloys with decent bridgestones on them that I am hoping are the same fitment. I am aware that the vag have two different fittings

Yeah you want pre 2005 5x100

My leon is 5 x 112 so that would mean getting tyres changed then. Hmmmmm probably just go for 2 new tyres soon and put up with two mismatched budgets. Or find one winter the same as the one good one there is. But then I wouldn't like two winters and two summers.

15 hours ago, Daviemck2006 said:

I have just had a good look over the bora. It is a rare thing in this area, a vw group car that still has wings on it!usually the front wheelatches are rotten at 10 years old. In fact my own leon is showing the first signs of rust developing at 8 years old. I would say the bora drives as good as said leon, and said leon is at 74k I think. The only think I an not too enamoured about is the tyres. But that's more because I'm fussy with tyres, not that I buy premium tyres cos I don't, but just because there are 4 different makes on it, including one winter grip with good tread and one budget well worn on opposite sides of the front. The soare is unused and original to the car but I won't be using it as at 15 years old its probably fucked by age. The two rears have both good tread but again mismatched budgets. But if that's the only thing I can find to dislike on a 15 year old car with 238k covered then there's no problem really. Theres even a brand new set if discs and pads in the bootemoji4.png

When I bought it off Jamiechod last September I paid extra for the brand new wing Jamie had ordered for it as the original was crispier than an 80s Ford. I think it was the driver's side. It's a repo panel but the fit isn't too bad and it was pre painted in the correct colour. I believe it had the discs and pads in the boot too when I bought it.

You're right about it having excellent history, that's what interested me in it. I changed the oil with Quantum oil and a Mann filter too when I got it in September. I can't remember if I changed the air filter, I usually do change them. If I did that would be a Mann filter too.

When I bought it off Jamiechod last September I paid extra for the brand new wing Jamie had ordered for it as the original was crispier than an 80s Ford. I think it was the driver's side. It's a repo panel but the fit isn't too bad and it was pre painted in the correct colour. I believe it had the discs and pads in the boot too when I bought it.
You're right about it having excellent history, that's what interested me in it. I changed the oil with Quantum oil and a Mann filter too when I got it in September. I can't remember if I changed the air filter, I usually do change them. If I did that would be a Mann filter too.
Yeah, the drivers side wing is mint, and the passenger side just showing very slight bubbling. There is also a 5litre oil bottle in the boot with just a little oil left in it which I would assume would be the remains of that oil change. That's good to know when it was last changed, it will get changed again soon, better for the sake of a few quid to look after the engine as it is so good at its age and miles. Goes to show how if you look after a car it will look after you.

15 minutes ago, drewd said:

When I bought it off Jamiechod last September I paid extra for the brand new wing Jamie had ordered for it as the original was crispier than an 80s Ford. I think it was the driver's side. It's a repo panel but the fit isn't too bad and it was pre painted in the correct colour. ....

2 minutes ago, Daviemck2006 said:

Yeah, the drivers side wing is mint, and the passenger side just showing very slight bubbling. ....

The original wing panels last very well. It's the pattern wings that may not be up to scratch. On mine, I replaced the nearside wing with a pattern, as the original was dented as a result of a car park misjudgment*. Took me half a day to fit it - I ended up taking the front bumper off for access, and all those screws, bolts and things. Six years later, it's the pattern nearside which is corroding in the arch, whilst the original offside is still rust-free.

8 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The original wing panels last very well. It's the pattern wings that may not be up to scratch. On mine, I replaced the nearside wing with a pattern, as the original was dented as a result of a car park misjudgment*. Took me half a day to fit it - I ended up taking the front bumper off for access, and all those screws, bolts and things. Six years later, it's the pattern nearside which is corroding in the arch, whilst the original offside is still rust-free.

Yeah I had to remove the bumper too. There's a foam block on the inside of the wing at the top of the wheel arch which I suspect was fitted as sound deadening. When I took the original panel off it appeared that the foam had retained water and trapped it against the lip of the arch, causing it to rot out. There was around an inch of rotten metal from the edge of the arch up, and some paint bubbling up even further than that.

I agree that the genuine panel was much heavier suggesting it was a better panel when new, but by 14 years old it had had it. I remember thinking if they'd just made the foam smaller it would allow the water to drain better. My brother had a MK4 golf that had gone in the same place.

4 minutes ago, drewd said:

Yeah I had to remove the bumper too. There's a foam block on the inside of the wing at the top of the wheel arch which I suspect was fitted as sound deadening. When I took the original panel off it appeared that the foam had retained water and trapped it against the lip of the arch, causing it to rot out. There was around an inch of rotten metal from the edge of the arch up, and some paint bubbling up even further than that.

I agree that the genuine panel was much heavier suggesting it was a better panel when new, but by 14 years old it had had it. I remember thinking if they'd just made the foam smaller it would allow the water to drain better. My brother had a MK4 golf that had gone in the same place.

There is indeed a foam block, but I can't remember if I put it back when I fitted the pattern wing....

The original offside wing is still rust free at 16 years old....

Apparently the petrol ones don't have this foam panel so they don't rust to the same extent. I do not know this personally, it was my usual garage when I had my daughters old A4 in for MOT a couple of years ago and both front wheel arches had been filled with wob by me just to cover the sharp edges. That got it past the MOT and it was sold soon after

• 2 weeks later...

Well both myself and my son really like the bora. There does seem to be a very minor niggle though. The starter seems very slow. I am wondering if either the battery is not quite up to scratch, or if the starter is on the way out. I wonder if any of the previous owners of the car noticed this. It could just be due to my usage of the car, its stop/start short journeys and being started quite a lot over the course of a night.