Davies four wheeled fun

Daviemck2006

Our Modus is 1.6 petrol (manual) and is pretty nippy. The on board computer reckons 41mpg most of the time, but I've never actually done a proper full to empty and fill check on it.
I never get good mpg from a delivery car. I cant crack 45 from the bora on the computer and everyone else I know with a 1.9pd vw says they get 60 no problem! Even the c1, and it was worked out by keeping fuel logs only averaged 41mpg over 10000 miles, every one on delivery duties. So it has to be the most economical I can get

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, Daviemck2006 said:

.... everyone else I know with a 1.9pd vw says they get 60 no problem! ...

Not going to get that in short distance / stop-start runs; even a TDi 100 might struggle to eke out the mpg on a delivery routine. 50 yes if you make use of all the momentum and coast at every opportunity, 60 no.

It's only the long runs where it's easy to exceed 60mpg. I used to be able to squeeze my TDi 100 past the 80mpg mark before the remap.  Post-remap, it's more like 70mpg for London - Carmarthen trips.

I've just had a twat view the bora. He said it's really tidy and drives really well but needs too much spent on it. So what needs spent says me. Door mirror cracked, front lower grill missing (I hit a fox at 70 last week which lost it) steering wheel is squint. Ok then if you want a perfect car go buy a brand new one for 20 grand, not a 16 year old car with 246000 miles on the clock at £900!

15 hours ago, Daviemck2006 said:

I never get good mpg from a delivery car. I cant crack 45 from the bora on the computer and everyone else I know with a 1.9pd vw says they get 60 no problem! Even the c1, and it was worked out by keeping fuel logs only averaged 41mpg over 10000 miles, every one on delivery duties. So it has to be the most economical I can get

I got 47mpg from my diesel auto Borat round the houses, 53mpg on a run, you are never going to get near a manuals mpg due to the parasitic losses of the auto box.

Re the steering wheel on the squint, disconnect the battery, pop the airbag off and undo the wheel and move it around the splines a little, its a 15 minute job, 10 of them are waiting for the electric to go to sleep.

I got 47mpg from my diesel auto Borat round the houses, 53mpg on a run, you are never going to get near a manuals mpg due to the parasitic losses of the auto box.
My Borat is manual. It's the constant stop/start it gets subjected to is hard work. Theres 3 villages between 6 to 8 miles out on single carriageway windy country roads that get deliveries from us, that's the only time it's ever above 30 or out of 4th gear. 80 to 100 miles in 5 hours non stop delivering aint getting top consumption lol

6 minutes ago, Daviemck2006 said:

My Borat is manual. It's the constant stop/start it gets subjected to is hard work. Theres 3 villages between 6 to 8 miles out on single carriageway windy country roads that get deliveries from us, that's the only time it's ever above 30 or out of 4th gear. 80 to 100 miles in 5 hours non stop delivering paint getting top consumption lol

I was sure it was an auto :D can you cancel my roffle ticket also please :)

Took the steering wheel off and straightened it today. Now I've got the bloody airbag light on. I had another twat drive it before the wheel was straightened and his reason for not offering was because he said the last time he had alignment done at kwikfit he ended up with a bill for £160! I asked him if that was for tyres too, and he said no, just alignment. Theres some right rip off merchants at kwikfit.

• Daviemck2006 changed the title to Davies four wheeled fun
  • 4 weeks later...

There will be an arrival here on Thursday. Something sub a grand to replace the bora on the pizza runs. The yeti has been clocking up far too many miles, and has developed a dent on a door getting used for them. There will not be a long collection thread, as it is only 12 miles from me. I saw it and drove it today, it should be ok for me doing deliveries. It has a high driving position for easy access, 2.0td engine coupled to an auto box to save my knackered left leg. It's a 2006, 56 plate merc a class 180d with just under 100k covered and a clean mot on 1st February. It needs an oil change and the boot lid is stuck shut, but seemed cheap enough possibly due to these faults. Picking up Thursday, but wont be taxing it until 1st of May. I paid a months road tax on the bora to sell if after 2 days, so I'm not paying another months road tax for two days lol

• 1 month later...

Well the new arrival above did not last long. It was the merc a class which worked its gearbox within two weeks of buying and arnold Clark gave me 600 quid for even though it did not meet their conditions of buyage. The fenlander will be leaving my custody on Saturday. I have made an executive decision to stop buying, running and selling elderly cars, I'm just not getting the fun out of it now because I am not able to do much fixing of them due to my health and it costs too much paying others to do the work. The pug 107 on my drive at the moment needs a clutch, it belongs to my sometimes errant son who is mentally struggling just now. It needs doing though and the car moved from my drive. I havent got anyone to weld the 205 yet, it seems that noone really wants a weldathon job. So that leaves me with the yeti and the hilux. I have kind of decided both are keepers, I would part with the hilux if a decent offer came along, but it's not advertised anywhere just now. So I dont have a cheap to run dont really care about car for my delivery job. So I told the boss that I need one of the companies vehicles to use. I refuse to drive the knackered combo van, the drivers seat is utterly fucked and no use to me. So I now use the seat leon that I owned for over 2 years and sold to them 6 months ago. It has been abused in that 6 months though, theres at least 4 scrapes along the passenger side, the rear bumper pushed in and split, the front bumper ditto, the inside is manky, looks like it's never been hoovered since it left me, the alloys all kerbed heavily and it gets a new tyre every two weeks or so when the Turkish lad that mostly drives it rips the sidewall out on the granite kerb outside the shop. To be honest I dont know why the lad still gets to drive anything. He only has a Turkish licence so not even a driving licence. That will invalidate the insurance when he has the inevitable big crash that's coming. I feel like grassing him off to the cops before he does hurt someone. It was at 78000 when I sold it and unmarked. It's at 91000 now. Never been serviced either, the service indicator says its 4000 miles past it's time which is about right from when I last serviced it. Oh well, I got my money for it so I shouldnt care, it's not me paying the bills for tyres every other week or the bills for repairing the other cars the guy hits. The car will soon be a sub £500 banger.

• 3 months later...

I have sold my hilux, and replaced it with a vw caddy maxi van. It is 2014 and has covered 115000 miles and has a full vw service history and new mot. It's due a service and timing belt just now. The vw dealer which has serviced it since it was 2 years old is going to send me a print out of its history, but quoted me a ridiculous amount for a service and timing belt change. It will get done, but not at vw prices! This van cost me £500 less than what I got for the hilux and its super clean for a van. The plan is to turn it into a mini camper. The wheels on it are the standard wheels off my yeti.1a9a7dc4f1db2b5bbfaae5ea710a49d5.jpg

3 minutes ago, Daviemck2006 said:

I need to post a pic of the yeti with its replacement wheels lol. I think the hilux is one of the few vehicles I did not change wheels on, although it was considered

You should start a thread on non stock wheels as you're the master of this haha...

You should start a thread on non stock wheels as you're the master of this haha...
You know me! I like putting usually bigger wheels on. I'm disappointed I did not take the genuine leon fr alloys off the leon when I sold it. I was going to change them a couple months ago, but the clown who drives it most of the time has kerbed every one badly. The kerbs outside the shop are solid granite and very sharp edges. He rips the side of a tyre every other week! It would be better for them with its standard wheels on rather than the 18" low profiles. But I wouldnt be able to sell them now they are so damaged. I've advertised the standard 16's locally for the tyres but no takers.

• 3 months later...

That's just under a year I have owned the Yeti. Passed mot today with no advisories. Done 6000 miles in the year. The only expenditure is diesel. Not one drop of oil, coolant, no tyres or brakes. Underneath looks as good condition as above. The only very slight fault is the powder coating is very slightly peeling off the rear anti roll bar. And it's very slight! The car was serviced along with its mot last year and the service interval is 20000 or 2 years , it will get serviced in the summer every year regardless of milage. That should be less than 10000 since the last one. Looking at the mot history it had advisories for two front tyres worn at 3 years old, and one fail for a broken spring at 5 years old and that's it. It has kind of justified me buying it from a dealer, first car I've done that for a few years now. And looking at Arnold Clark's website theres one the same age, model and mileage at over 12 grand. Which is 3&1/2 grand more than I paid from a skoda dealer last year. It's an impressive car. The only complaint against it is that the seats are a little to firm for me. The caddys seats are more comfortable despite being much lower spec.

• 1 month later...

Just noticed I haven't said a word on my own vehicles for ages. Probably because I have nothing to say! The two moderns, yeti and caddy, just start when needed and drive with no problems, and the yeti does about 42 mpg and the caddy nearer 50, so in the present times it does more miles.

I still have the 205gti sitting here, I have no motivation to do anything with it, so will probably do a full for sale ad soon. I have also acquired from my son a knackered, filthy, disgusting pug 107. It needs a clutch, is up on axle stands in my drive with the gearbag out. I honestly dont know whether to scrap it or put a clutch in and flog it. It's a 2012, done well over 100k, and not been looked after. It's only good point is it has genuine pug alloys with cracking tyres. It has been bumped, scratched, the boot is leaking and its mouldy, it's been sticker bombed with some of them removed leaving it looking like the pile of shite it is.

I have had covid, it was not serious, just a cold for a couple of days, but my motivation which was not great anyway has disappeared totally. I am hoping now that is passed and I'm a bit stronger again, and the weather is improving to get the caddy insulated and lined and interior lighting put in. I have been quoted over a grand for this to get done professionally, the parts needed just over 200 with the rest labour and vat. I shall attempt this myself.

If I get the 205 gone, to be honest I'm never going to do it, and the 107 gone whichever way seems best I will be a bit happier, because of them I have to park one modern on the street, which is congested and narrow and I have had a motor scratched out there. It was the hilux, which as you all remember was pre scratched anyway. However it did knock a little more off when I sold it. A mate bought it and he sold it on, but it's never been taxed and the mot is now out so I've no idea what happened to it. Probably exported as I did have enquiries from Africa when I advertised it, but took the easy offer and cash in the bank with no problems.

Once I get the space on the drive back I wouldnt mind something small and fast just for fun, but not a project. Number 1 for the bonus ball on wednesday would do. A puma 1.7 would fit the bill nicely lol

• 1 month later...

With me being a bit pissed off just getting 42mpg out of my caddy van, when everyone else I know gets nearer 60 from their 1.6td vws I have put it into the garage for a carbon clean, remap and because theres no record of it being done a timing belt, waterpump and tensioner. That little lot will cost me in the region of £600. Ouch!

My 42 mpg is mostly running from here to Aberdeen or Elgin, so usually a 80 mile return trip on single carriageway roads at 55 mph. This compares to the delivery one I drive when working which gets 45 or so on deliveries which is severely hard on it being stop start all the time. It feels much nippier than mine, its 2 years older, just turned 100k, mine has done 123k. They have the same heart both being the 1.6 TDI 102 hp. I'm hoping this improves mine both in low down pull and mpg.

• 4 weeks later...

The 205 is gone to a new home, where it is going to be restored properly. It was 570 miles of driving for me, towing the trailer with the yeti. It, and me coped well with the journey, used £160 worth of diesel.

The caddy is running well, it has a new timing belt on it and been remapped. I haven't done a mpg check yet, but it certainly feels a bit happier, although it still feels a bit of turbo lag under 2000 revs.

In other car news my daughter has upgraded her car. I did ask why she felt the need to change, her car was a 2015 seat leon 1.6tdi estate which had done under 50k, looked after and really good condition, when she bought it she was doing 20k a year, but changed her job soon after that and only did 25k in 4 years! She has gone for another leon estate, a 2019 1.5tsi petrol. It's a nicer trim then the 2015 car was, being the fr rather than base. I emptied my playing with cars budget to help her with the extortionate cost of buying said car, although it was over 2 grand less at a seat main dealer than any that arnold clark had, and as an approved used seat has 2 years servicing, mot and warranty. Arnold would have added on another grand for all that.

• 1 month later...

Well my mission to make space on my drive continues. Today I sold my trailer. I wish selling cars was so easy. Put on facebook marketplace and gumtree about 10pm last night, 1st reply 10am today saying he was coming to get it. I thought righto, heres the 1st timewaster. Nope! He was here by 12, asked 200 off the price, I counter offered split the difference, he handed over the cash, hooked it onto his car and left. It was priced at a fair price compared to similar trailers I've seen recently, I wish cars were that easily sold!

I have one more car sized item to get rid of out of my sight and that is my sons wrecked 107. It's been sitting at mine for months, the gearbox been out and new clutch fitted, it needs new discs and pads fitted, the battery tray and battery refitted then gone. He is not showing any interest in it, ive just done a car take back on it and offered £401 for it as is. I'm very close to accepting that and getting rid. Otherwise I will finish it off and sell it, but that's hassle. May take the easy option.

• 4 weeks later...

So as reported elsewhere sons 107 is off th copart. 12 plate, abused, lots of issues, millions of miles so took the easy option. That's me down to my two vag motors and a caravan. Caravan is available for hire, if anyone wanted it for up here in ne Scotland. Can be self tow or I can site it for you for fuel costs. Fuel costs might be £5236 the way things are going

• 2 months later...

Haven't updated this in months, but then I dont really have any shite cars here. I did a buyage though, a 2003 caravan, Lunar quasar pretty much a standard layout twin dinette 5 berth. Really clean and everything works. Bought for taking the grandkids away for trips and weekends. I also have had a couple solo trips. It now means the caddy is highly unlikely to get made into a mini camper. There is one problem with it in that there is a soft patch on the floor which is on the to do list to get seen to. Would a caravan that age qualify for caravanshite?

Both the yeti and caddy are working as they should. The caddy got a new varta battery last week, the first time I have put a spanner on it in a year and 9000 miles. It also passed MOT today, a clean pass with no advisories. Proclaimed a good one by my trusted MOT man, who I have used for 40 years. I was debating selling it as my left leg doesn't work properly, and the clutch is sometimes a problem for me, but the yeti is auto for days my leg is bad, and I actually prefer driving the caddy, probably because it is manual. So, for now I think I will say it's a keeper (subject to change lol)

I think you are right to use that caravan and forget making the Caddy into a camper. A lad on Cliosport did one and made a very tidy job of it, but in the end decided to sell as it was too small and cramped, a bit of a shame really (pics below)

IMG20220626230536.thumb.jpg.adea1796876ff07281999bbfe21c3e6d.jpg

IMG20220626231034.thumb.jpg.6193573c949a8c88b886bef29317c2f7.jpg

IMG20220626231225.thumb.jpg.6e10e2bc0562bed9f2f249ffd8b25f4e.jpg

IMG20220831191443.thumb.jpg.4a358afe7c17433a49fd3adafa66ae1f.jpg

IMG20220831191553.thumb.jpg.96535787500122e667591c86d26f0c50.jpg

Also I'm pretty sure that although not shite, plenty of readers will be interested in the Caddy and the Yeti.

22 hours ago, Daviemck2006 said:

Haven't updated this in months, but then I dont really have any shite cars here. I did a buyage though, a 2003 caravan, Lunar quasar pretty much a standard layout twin dinette 5 berth. Really clean and everything works. Bought for taking the grandkids away for trips and weekends. I also have had a couple solo trips. It now means the caddy is highly unlikely to get made into a mini camper. There is one problem with it in that there is a soft patch on the floor which is on the to do list to get seen to. Would a caravan that age qualify for caravanshite?

Both the yeti and caddy are working as they should. The caddy got a new varta battery last week, the first time I have put a spanner on it in a year and 9000 miles. It also passed MOT today, a clean pass with no advisories. Proclaimed a good one by my trusted MOT man, who I have used for 40 years. I was debating selling it as my left leg doesn't work properly, and the clutch is sometimes a problem for me, but the yeti is auto for days my leg is bad, and I actually prefer driving the caddy, probably because it is manual. So, for now I think I will say it's a keeper (subject to change lol)

Squidgy floor is common issue - we had it on our lunar that was only 4 years old - you can get it cut out and or braced underneath to fix it.