106 independence, 2003

James

Absolutely awful, power steering pump shagged and a possible head gasket failure. But the bodywork is almost pristine with only a few rust bubbles on the roof. How would I go about keeping her roadworthy, with all the mechanic in skills of a drunken baboon. And some fool has knackered the thread on the coil pack. But, a deep socket and a hammer could probably sort that

Is it the 1.1? They are known for blowing hg's....

How badly did it overheat? As above maybe easier to whack new engine in because block warpage....

I can do most things now but I too was a mechanical dunse when I first started.....get on YouTube and just watch everything thats what i do.

3 hours ago, Braddon81 said:

These are probably one of the easiest cars you work on if your not well versed in spanner work. What makes you think the head gasket has gone?  Is it over pressuring the coolant?

This in spades. Learn the skill you need pal. And you're learning on an almost valueless car that still enjoys good spares availability. In other words you can afford to bollocks the job once and learn on the rebound. Bon chance mon amie 

• 8 months later...

And so it would come to pass, I replaced the engine, luckily the local scrappie drinks in my local and he let me have the engine cheap and a hoist to do the work with. Should have documented the change for you gents. But I was at the very limit of my skill and my phone is shit and there the camera acts more like an impressionist painter than a camera. Just needs a new bush on the gear linkage and it'll be like new*

*if your new 106 came from the factory with a broken heater blower motor

On 8/17/2020 at 6:29 AM, Bitzer said:

Rear axle

Suspension is in good nick. But I've heard the horror stories