Rover 75 progress thread(christmas and new years progress)

montytom

As above this afternoon I went and picked up a 2001 Rover 75 diesel auto in old english white with aubergine leather interior.

It came up on here and I really had to have it so after some messaging we went out to pick it up. 

All was well apart from the battery being dead(has been parked up) 

We started the car as it had been on a trickle charger. Sounded good but then I turned it off straight away-bad idea.

Signed paperwork got a picture and went to start it but dead.

I was so embarrassed but Carl was a true gentleman and jumped it using his lovely little yellow 130 turbo diahatsu.

Needed diesel but not wanting to turn it off we went to the closest one and I walked into the shop and my dad filled it up while the car was still running.

Got the car home and it never missed a beat. It has a burning smell from the front which normally is either a pulley going or the fan (the later ones had 2 speed fans). The car is off the road for a few weeks at least while we go through the issues (which were told to me) I'm truely greatful to Carl for letting me take custodianship of this wonderful car. 

I own an s type diesel and honestly I prefer the 75 and I always have done. 

Great car and a great easy deal with a very honest gentleman.

I can only say everyone I have met on this forum have been great. Thankyou Carl was great to meet you. 

Anyway some pictures

20200815_181510.jpg

20200815_181547.jpg

20200815_182220.jpg

20200815_182250.jpg

20200815_182210.jpg

48 minutes ago, plasticvandan said:

Lovely,same.colour as my 416 :-)

Thankyou I've not seen many white 75s and I'm glad it's a lovely colour.

18 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

These look so inviting. Like grandmas house, only missing the tea and biscuits.

They are very inviting with the orange lighting on the dash like an old open fire.

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Do these earlier cars have a 3-speed radiator fan or did I imagine that?

Yes they came with a 3 speed fan and the later ones became a 2 speed. I'm sure I can buy a later style 2 speed fan

1 minute ago, HMC said:

Such a great colour combo. Is it “Japanese spec” or am I confusing my rover 75 knowledge? Either way 素晴らしい 
(fabulous)

Hi Matt hope alls well? Japanese spec ones had the aubergine interior but they were Dorchester red in colour

I will always remember - bout 5 years ago - there was a smashing OEW 75 with Aubergine cloth (rare AF) for sale at about £1200.  At the time, that was dear (genuinely good cars were still three figures). I gambled, thinking it'd stick around for a while but NOP - sold within 3 days.  

I'd have also bought this one had I seen it.

Sills are a common 75 weakness; on my launch car they went from very very sturdy to a fail within 12 months.  Do them well and keep on top of it and it should be one of those jobs that only needs doing once.

On 8/15/2020 at 10:52 PM, AnthonyG said:

Lovely car, good to see it’s moved on to another caring owner.  I don’t generally like white cars but OEW has a nice mild ivory shade to it. 

And that interior! Just WOW ❤️

Thankyou I've never had a white 75 before and it is a lovely colour in person aswell. The interior/exterior combination works lovely  

On 8/15/2020 at 10:58 PM, Split_Pin said:

Tremendous transaction here! I've had 3 diesel 75s and my current one is the only one that the radiator fans have worked as it's had the gold resistor modification from DMGRS.

Looking forward to the updates.

Thankyou I will try to post up as often as I get time to. I'm sure it's your youtube videos I've been watching if so the contemporary looks stunning.

On 8/16/2020 at 10:37 AM, dave j said:

That interior looks like a nice place to sit! Well bought

Thankyou it's a very welcoming interior as all 75s seem to be. I just love them

23 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I will always remember - bout 5 years ago - there was a smashing OEW 75 with Aubergine cloth (rare AF) for sale at about £1200.  At the time, that was dear (genuinely good cars were still three figures). I gambled, thinking it'd stick around for a while but NOP - sold within 3 days.  

I'd have also bought this one had I seen it.

Sills are a common 75 weakness; on my launch car they went from very very sturdy to a fail within 12 months.  Do them well and keep on top of it and it should be one of those jobs that only needs doing once.

Thanks my old launch car had the back of the sill replaced as was soft but the back seems solid. It's the front which is odd but I done a bit of poking around and it seems someone jacked it up and broke the protective paint and it's just gone from there. I've found a sill panel on ebay. Just need to get paid again luckily I get paid weekly so hopefully Friday.

21 hours ago, greengartside said:

AP= Norwich, would be interesting to see which dealer sold this new? That’s a bloody lovely colour combo as well, I’m a fan of the original Sat Nav/TV unit as well. Great purchase.

I wouldn't be able to tell you I'm afraid as the service book isnt here. I'll do some research when I have time and hopefully if they are still a dealership for certain makes I'll give them a ring as I'd like to know aswell. Thanks for letting me know its Norwich as that narrows down somewhat

Ok so I'm just back home after my first night back on-i do sunday to thursday nights driving lorries to hospitals.

I thought first things first wheres the water leaking from into the drivers footwell.

We tested the plenum drains the other day as they were clear on top and they gushed the water out. All good there.

Today I started the car and let it run for a while then opened the sunroof and checked the passenger side hole and that went straight to the floor. Again all good.

I checked the drivers side and it went straight into the footwell behind the pedals. So we know where the leak is now.

I got down on my hands and knees to check the rust and the passenger sill is ok no issues there. The drivers side rear is solid aswell. The drivers front(normally the backs go)

Is holed but I think I know why-someone has jacked the car up incorrectly and bent the sill cracking the paint protection and causing it to rot. 

While down on my hands and knees I looked over and the passenger front abs cable was hanging down ripped out. 

Again that's great news as hopefully that will stop the abs light being on. 

I'm really starting to enjoy this car and cannot wait till I can get some more time on it. 

20200817_110937.jpg

20200817_111139.jpg

20200817_111234.jpg

20200817_111247.jpg

20200817_111356.jpg

20200817_111401.jpg

Ok so another update. I'm now finished for the week so went to bed for a couple of hours then took my mother plant shopping. I then picked my dad up from work then went back and started taking the drivers side interior apart to determine the location of the leak from the sunroof drains either the pipe coming out or a split in the hose. 

Well I undone the trim under the steering wheel and then undone the headlight switch pack. 

I was the pipe and thought I'd just touch it and it just slipped out of the pipe that goes into the wheel arch.

We then went to screwfix and bought a dehumidifier to get the car nice and dry.

We then went to halfords and bought some hose connectors and stuck it in and glued it into the hose and also then pushed it into hose that sits into the wheel arch.

Now we connected the battery and opened the sunroof tipped water down the sunroof drain and I can now confirm it's totally leak free. 

Happy bunny indeed.

I've also bought a service kit for the car and also I have bought a new abs cable. I've also bought 2 front and 2 rear sill repair panels

Just waiting for the cable and repair panels  to turn up. Then it will be just a case of getting the airbag light off and the sill repaired. 

Maybe the teardrop mount aswell as it's got a vibration when I drove it home and also a couple of times knocked over bumps. 

Absolutely loving this car.

20200821_140637.jpg

20200821_140639.jpg

20200821_140646.jpg

20200821_145830.jpg

20200821_145852.jpg

20200821_183129.jpg

20200821_184702.jpg

• montytom changed the title to Rover 75 progress thread(jobs getting jobbed)

Woke up this morning and went and give my dad a hand fitting a new wiper arm to his astra and had he postie putting a parcel through the door. I wasnt expecting this till Monday but it gives me something else to fiddle with. 

I only bought a cheap £10 ebay abs cable but on our old 75s they have always worked ok. 

The 75 groups will tell you to only buy the expensive £100 cable but they have never not worked. 

Anyway so once this is back together and the battery charged I'll go check see whether the abs light Is off. If it is that's another cheap fix. 

On another note the sunroof drain fix has lasted the night and not got any water into the cabin so I will put that all back together.

20200822_093749.jpg

23 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

I had a Tourer one I sold on, had both rear abs sensors done, and used two cheap sensors. It fixed it fine. 

Thanks my dad has always used cheap ones and as you say they were fine.

22 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Good progress on this and glad you are enjoying it.

Thanks this is my 7th 75 so luckily when working on them It all comes back. My dad has also owned 3. Its enjoyable knowing the issues and going to the usual places. 

It's been taking my mind off things to be honest so that can only be a good thing

3 hours ago, New POD said:

7th? 

Yes I bought my first many years ago but I bought it on a budget and the previous owner being less that genuine topped up the slave cylinder- or master I get confused. 

I drove 15 miles then the clutch hit the floor. I had no spare money and no room to do any work on it so i had to get rid.

I then bought a 1.8 s reg but that didnt feel right to me so I sold it through the club.

Then I had numerous v6s but again money was tight and had nowhere to store them so gave them away. I then bought a diesel tourer auto but sold it as I saw something else I really wanted and having no excess space couldnt keep it.

3 hours ago, Mally said:

They don't tend to last long.

Apart from my first one I have owned or been gifted some 75s and then I have had to get rid due to money/space issues. Trying to run a v6 75 and a diesel auto tourer 75 while earning minimum wage and having to have them on the road paying tax insurance and parking permits cost a bit much. Also sometimes I saw other cars which I bought so something had to give. 

I now earn a good wage have space and I'd like to think I'm a little more mature. I'll be keeping this one and any other vehicles I purchase. Thanks Thomas

My statement was a little tongue in cheek.

I bought my Tourer for £600, it had 9 months MOT, and I  was quite prepared to scrap it after that.

Surprisingly to me, I still have it 4 years on. Never spent over £100 on repairs. probably £250 in total. Absolute bargain.

As with your first one, if the clutch goes it's probably scrap, the V6 likes a drink and can have cooling problems.

Many owners pass them on for little money as they can't afford the repairs.

Really nice cars if you get the right one, and do your own repairs, but can be a money pit if you rely on a garage.

Don't take everything I say as gospel :)

56 minutes ago, Mally said:

My statement was a little tongue in cheek.

I bought my Tourer for £600, it had 9 months MOT, and I  was quite prepared to scrap it after that.

Surprisingly to me, I still have it 4 years on. Never spent over £100 on repairs. probably £250 in total. Absolute bargain.

As with your first one, if the clutch goes it's probably scrap, the V6 likes a drink and can have cooling problems.

Many owners pass them on for little money as they can't afford the repairs.

Really nice cars if you get the right one, and do your own repairs, but can be a money pit if you rely on a garage.

Don't take everything I say as gospel :)

Thankyou I wasnt trying to be confrontational just get the facts over sorry if it came that way. My last 75 I have gor over 4 years. The shortest was a couple of days but in all honesty the v5 is my favourite. I never had much luck with the diesels and i had issues with my last which i fixed then sold(story of my life get something right then sell it)

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Pretty much why I have had 3 in the space of 2 years. One went well but needed a lot of work, the second was sold when I won my Audi in a roffle and I've still got my 3rd one. 

I don't know about you but I seem to gravitate back towards them!

I have done. I bought my first one when I was 21 and I'm now 33 so bar last year when I got rid of my last till when I picked this one up I've had a 75 in my life

I woke up this afternoon to a parcel waiting for me. 

I opened it up to find it was the sill peices for the 75. I only needed the drivers front as it was holed but ordered all 4 ends as its normally the rears that go.

For now I'm going to tape over the hole in the sill until I can get it in somewhere to get it redone. 

At least I now have the metalwork ready for it.

20200824_190053.jpg