Rover 75 progress thread(christmas and new years progress)

montytom

Ok we have sorted the leak into the interior(we hope) but using the dehumidifier is doing something as its sucking up some water but as the carpets are so thick it's never going to clear it. 

We have spent the last couple of hours getting the whole carpet out. It staggers me how well these cars are built.

Anyway the carpet is in the garden dripping dry. 

Before we put it back in we will clean the car and also treat the seats. 

I'm going to take the airbag plugs apart and see if they can be reused otherwise I'll get some new ones. 

20200905_151018.jpg

20200905_151024.jpg

20200905_151025.jpg

On 9/5/2020 at 8:35 PM, Split_Pin said:

Forth bridge construction there, I'm happy taking my family in mine.

Exactly I remember somewhere that in a frontal impact the 75 was so strong it actually scores higher than the 2007 jaguar xf which is comforting. Everything seems put together so well. 

• 1 month later...

Bit of an overdue update. 

My dad was having a look around the 75 and took the rear wheels off to paint the inner arches and found the discs to be past their best. We had a set of brand new rear discs and pads so we started to take them off. 

The passenger side went smoothly but the backing plate on the drivers side had rusted through. 

I bought a genuine backing plate and also a new handbrake cable and we got that all back together.

I then bought a cheap cable and downloaded toaf(a rover 75/at diagnostic program)

Plugged it in and the car said about the abs issue being the passenger sensor.

We have the new one but the connector on the other end is missing so I am just waiting for them to arrive then solder them in and then see if that clears the fault. 

We still need to put the carpet back in amongst other jobs but the car is getting there slowly.

On another note we rubbed down my sinclair c5 chassis and my dad painted it( I tried painting it but being a clumsy bugger I had the nozel turned and sprayed my trainers instead)

Just now, Bitzer said:

Whyntcha just solder em wirez toogezer?

The connectors were only a tenner so will be a much better job doing it like that and also if the sensors play up we can just unclip rather that cut and solder again.

The car doesnt need to be on the road urgently so would rather wait and do it properly. 

• 2 months later...

Ok so having time off over christmas and new year and having nothing to do I decided to get on with some work on my 75.

We put all the gubbins back in and now have the carpet in(what a pain in the arse job)

My dad was there to help as he had alot of holiday left over. We have also sorted out the abs issue. The issue was the car had no arch liner in and the wiring got caught round the caliper and ripped out. Theoretically it should mean that I now have working cruise control as that runs off the passenger front sensor.

While the seats have been out we have given them a couple of going over with the leather cleaner. We have put a new velvet door seal on the drivers side and also bought a couple of arch liners. We have painted the passenger front arch then put the arch liner in with new clips.

What I need to do now is solder the under seat connections then put in the centre console and tack up the headlining. 

The hole in the driver sill is still there but my dad knows how to weld to a good standard so he bought a welder this morning so he can weld the car up and I can practice.

It seems to finally be coming together now.

I only have a few pictures and sorry for the long essay.20210101_162544.thumb.jpg.9091c624379fc113d955a056ef6f6c02.jpg

20210101_162548.thumb.jpg.de1c379954fad98c84f8e28e2d1cc3c1.jpg

20210103_150646.thumb.jpg.405b3692ae1d10fe9a5ef2257fae7468.jpg

• montytom changed the title to Rover 75 progress thread(christmas and new years progress)
4 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

This is a great looking car. Rover 75s are really growing on me. Especially with aubergine leather.

Thankyou I have always loved the 75s since I was a nipper and after having 10 of them they still make me look back. Lovely cars