Coasting vs engine braking

bunglebus

1 hour ago, Eyersey1234 said:

Buses are fitted with retarders that slow the engine down without using the brakes, I wonder if one would help your Discovery 

I know most larger PSVs and coaches have them, I’ve only ever seen van sized mini buses with retarders abroad (sprinters) like in Tenerife or south of France where it’s hilly and they don’t like eating brakes. I’ve often wanted an American pick up with a cummins diesel and retro fit an exhaust brake off a 7.5ton DAF trick or something like that. 

3 hours ago, bunglebus said:

You'd have to have deformed feet to heel and toe in a Beetle. Much as I like them, the pedal arrangement is...odd

Ball of your foot on the brake, heel on the bottom of the accelerator.  I've done it many times to keep a badly-set-up beetle engine running.

Floor hinged clutch is indeed a bit wierd, but having a floor-hinged accelerator pedal I find very comfortable.  Brake pedal doesn't matter.. I try to use them as little as possible.

11 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Ball of your foot on the brake, heel on the bottom of the accelerator.  I've done it many times to keep a badly-set-up beetle engine running

Yes I remember doing it in my Beetle and bus - as you describe. Just find it odd having the brake pedal so much higher than the accelerator. 

Anyway, odd 1930s car design aside...as you were

At the beginning of lockdown, I started doing food deliveries for people in isolation.  As there was no traffic, I could coast anywhere with even a slight downhill without annoying anyone.  Can judge it so you hardly use the brakes at all.  I do coast, and don't generally drive that fast.  I think I have done it more in the last few years and I hardly ever seem to replace any brake parts now.  

With a beetle the first inch or two are “free play “ on the pedals. They be level with the throttle by the time they make any affect anyway. 

To answer the original question, I’ve never coasted, apart from coming to a stop from slow speed. My old V70 D5 went to 99.9mpg on the instant read out on the overrun. No fuel needed when it’s not doing any work.