Does it exist? 55mpg, reliable, not tedious?

garethj

58 minutes ago, pbottomley said:

Passat B5 1.9 TDI always in the 50's driven gently 60mpg easy

Yep average about 55-56 overall. Depends what age car you're looking at.

I really don't know how I'd replace it, goes really well, comfortable and reliable

1 minute ago, garethj said:

Don’t Passats suffer from leaks and dodgy heater matrix?  I’m sure I remember them being a bit flaky in terms of reliability 

Yup, and pretty much every other VAG malady, I couldn't recommend one myself, the most sensible one you mentioned is the Yaris D4D, they will do well in excess of 65mpg easily.

20 minutes ago, 320touring said:

£550 for the car

200 on decent bilstein dampers

170 on good springs (eibach/h&r)

100 refresh of front arms

£99 on a remap

Some decent tyres

Cambelt and servicing

Done

18 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

They are as dull as ditchwater, I had one, it was remapped, the creaking interior plastics and dead handling pissed me off eventually, they are also a significant downgrade from a 2.2 civic.

Both valid points  to be fair! 

It's a bit dull, but could be made better. Tobe honest, though, you'd probably be pushed to get a constant 55mpg unless you drive like Miss Daisy,  which sort of defeats the brief somewhat.  

25 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

They are as dull as ditchwater, I had one, it was remapped, the creaking interior plastics and dead handling pissed me off eventually, they are also a significant downgrade from a 2.2 civic.

42-44mpg out of the civic is pretty poor, maybe have a look at your driving style? my friend gets almost 60mpg from his.

Back to the 205 1.8d then:)

Can't argue with New POD. 3.0 outback here, albeit lpg. But hits the dizzy heights of 24 mpg on lpg. 28 on petrol.  But depreciated zero in 2. 5 years as bought cheap and no dpf, dual mass flywheel, cambelt, flaky injector, worn out turbos.... 

Mpg the least of your overall cost worries.... 

Current car is a Honda Civic and my spreadsheet of costs is fuel and a headlight bulb.  Depreciation also zero as it is for most old cars to be honest.

I’m not a complete stranger to running old cars and I’ve had everything from a 10mpg XJ-S (pre HE) to a 60mpg Skoda?

4 hours ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

What about a Volvo C30 'drive-E' with the fancy smooth alloys, theyre supposedly pretty thrifty and look interesting, not sure how much driver joy is available mind you.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-59-VOLVO-C30-S-DRIVE-D-1-6-DIESEL-3-DOOR-HATCHBACK-20-TAX-64-MPG-RED-CLOTH/174386736908

I was about to suggest one of these, although its a bit more expensive.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008062188875?transmission=Manual&sort=price-asc&annual-tax-cars=TO_30&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&advertising-location=at_cars&make=VOLVO&model=V40&fuel-consumption=OVER_60&maximum-mileage=125000&radius=1500&postcode=so157np&fuel-type=Diesel&page=1

Tax

Annual tax
£0
CO₂ emissions
94g/km

Fuel

Urban
70.6 mpg
Extra urban
83.1 mpg
Combined
78.5 mpg

Laguna 2 DCi of course, comfortable and looks fantastic.........oh wait you want reliability

anything peugeot citroen with the old 2.0 HDi will do low 50s quite comfortably

1.9 TDi passat is another good contendor

weird how you're getting such low fuel economy from a spaceship civic, my dad frequently got low to mid 50s

2 minutes ago, maxxo said:

Laguna 2 DCi of course, comfortable and looks fantastic.........oh wait you want reliability

anything peugeot citroen with the old 2.0 HDi will do low 50s quite comfortably

1.9 TDi passat is another good contendor

weird how you're getting such low fuel economy from a spaceship civic, my dad frequently got low to mid 50s

Mid 50s mpg from a 1.8 petrol Civic?  I’m like driving miss Daisy and 47mpg is my best ever

his was the 2.2 diesel, but i've heard you can get 50ish from the 1.8

i can't help but feel i'd be tempted to stick with a car that will probably never go wrong

maybe just part of me is getting sick of diesels and how long they take to get up to temp (i live near a dual carriageway and i hate merging with a cold engine)

could try a 2.2 civic? those are pretty bulletproof (my dad got 257k from his before he traded it in with zero issues) and sound fantastic for a diesel

Nothing with an old IDI engine is going to cut it when it comes to fuel economy compared to a modern common rail injection system.  If an old IDI can get very good fuel consumption (Citroen AX 1.5d for example) it's going to be glacially slow.  Even a BX Turbodiesel, which will just about achieve 50mpg if you're careful is actually a remarkably slow car these days and will be tiresome in modern traffic.

Has anyone mentioned a Mercedes A-class Diesel?  They are supposed to do fairly decent empeegees and are now quite cheap.