Does it exist? 55mpg, reliable, not tedious?

garethj

My spaceship Civic is very reliable but 42-44mpg is the best I can get.  My mileage could be rising soon so extra mpg could be useful.  The thing is, I really like Honda levels of reliability, so what are my options?

I’m hoping that where most people get 55mpg I can get 60 which is a handy increase.  I normally beat the advertised economy by a bit anyway.

I thought a Toyota Auris SR180 would be worth a look but actually their economy is mid 40s.  Obscure and a bit speedy is good though!

I had a Skoda Octavia Tdi that would crack 60mpg but the seats were agony.  Is something like an A3 going to be better even though I really dislike Audi drivers?

Would a Peugeot 206 HDi be good?  I think the 2 litre engine is ok but how reliable will it be?

An Audi A2 is funky enough but do they hold together?  Perhaps a Yaris D4D is better but they seem fucking dull.

BMW Compact, or are they all fucked now?  An obscure little Volvo?  I rather lost touch with anything newer than an 850 so no idea what’s out there.

Ideas appreciated ?

What about a Volvo C30 'drive-E' with the fancy smooth alloys, theyre supposedly pretty thrifty and look interesting, not sure how much driver joy is available mind you.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-59-VOLVO-C30-S-DRIVE-D-1-6-DIESEL-3-DOOR-HATCHBACK-20-TAX-64-MPG-RED-CLOTH/174386736908

9 minutes ago, Mr_Bo11ox said:

What about a Volvo C30 'drive-E' with the fancy smooth alloys, theyre supposedly pretty thrifty and look interesting, not sure how much driver joy is available mind you.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-59-VOLVO-C30-S-DRIVE-D-1-6-DIESEL-3-DOOR-HATCHBACK-20-TAX-64-MPG-RED-CLOTH/174386736908

That looks pretty funky.  Wonder if the other diesels are a bit cheaper to buy.  I’ll have a browse, thank you ?

I had an Audi A2 TDi for a little while and it would easily crack 55mpg, plus it felt bigger than it was and had plenty of torque. I sold it to my friend who then had loads of problems with it...

I've had several Volvo V70 D5s and if you go for a Euro 3 engined one it'll do over 50mpg if you've got a light right foot.

Short answer is no.

I'm a mk9 civic 2.2 diesel owner and have mpg and reliability and tedium in equal measure.

If I wanted to get less tedium and sacrifice a bit possibly on the others I would go ford focus.

Tricky problem which I don't think can be answered.

We ran an A2 tdi for a couple of years and couldn’t get more than 55mpg out of it. 60 miles per day, mostly motorway.

It was a great little car but I was always worried about repairs if it got pranged with it being aluminium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, Agila said:

Short answer is no.

I'm a mk9 civic 2.2 diesel owner and have mpg and reliability and tedium in equal measure.

If I wanted to get less tedium and sacrifice a bit possibly on the others I would go ford focus.

Tricky problem which I don't think can be answered.

This is where I’m at and while my Type S has the same trick rear suspension as the Type R and the way it looks is really cool, it’s a bit monotonous to drive.

Dunno about a Focus, it just seems unforgivably dull and probably not as reliable as something Japanese

3 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Prius, Auris Hybrid, will easily better 55mpg, my boss's new Superb 2.0tdi does 68mpg on the 60 mile run from Chorley to Bowness which is amazing, they are all boring though.

I’d really like to be spending £1500 or less.  Moon on a stick, obvs?

6 minutes ago, 320touring said:

£550 for the car

200 on decent bilstein dampers

170 on good springs (eibach/h&r)

100 refresh of front arms

£99 on a remap

Some decent tyres

Cambelt and servicing

Done

They are as dull as ditchwater, I had one, it was remapped, the creaking interior plastics and dead handling pissed me off eventually, they are also a significant downgrade from a 2.2 civic.

42-44mpg out of the civic is pretty poor, maybe have a look at your driving style? my friend gets almost 60mpg from his.