Wartburg V.Renault 5

fotorabia

I was living in Berlin in 93 n some local hippies invited me to a free holiday in the Sth of France. We d been offered a free ol Wartburg Deluxe by a East German family in Potsdam so we went out n took delivery of it.Lovingly original with self emptying ashtrays..we brougth it back to Berlin and bought a few trays of 2 stroke oil and off we set..we headed off into France and when about 100km from Lyon we passed thru a quaint local village.We decided to stop for a coffee so my mate Sunja did a u -turn and pulled up outside the caf..unfortunately not quite getting our arse over the white line.I was sitting as front seat passenger and undid my safety belt.Upon doing that we were then rammed at about 70kph by a drunk French famer in a new Renault 5.I whiplashed after headbutting the dachboard full force..my rearward jettison breaking the seat !..we were pushed into a hedge blocking my door and the car instantly filled with petrol fumes..we d just filled it up..and the impact split the fuel tank wide open..the exhaust pipe runs under it and it was a miracle we didnt explode.I did a Ejection thru the sun roof and didnt realise the extent of my concussion so immediately photographically documented the incident.The rear tail light was set into our back tyre! When the fire brigade arrived one of them asked me what kind of car it had been so i repied its an East German Porsche! We abandoned the wreck! I ended up in hospital in Lyon with severe concussion n whiplash! We ditched the rest of the hippies and completed the rest of the journey by jumping one of the supertrains.Ill post a photograph soon of the accident.

Welcome - a couple of eye-watering stories of nasty crashes (this and the Spanish MB 240D story).Do you have much shite there in Wanganui?My brother and his family (originally from Leeds) live in your town... not a big place is it?Edit:Just heard on internet radio the sad news of the death of NZ's most famous son... link:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7182376.stm(sorry for the hijack)

Wanganuis a pretty small place... a town NZ tried to forget hence why its the last place u can afford to buy a house..plently of 80s original Japper nonsense..some beautifully preserved..last Mitsi Galant street sale lost its wheels after one night just up the road from me...the vintage car club keep their excess collection in the shed nxt door to the one i live in..they just "threw' out a DKW ,Skoda recently..and i bought a a beauty 65 Viva HA on Natural Gas off them for 120 quid..ill squizz around town soon wif me camera..spotted a Mitsi Geneva Mirage rotting outside someones beach house yesterday...my mate owns one..he loves it!?

Wow, that R5 didn't come off too badly considering, bet they got that fixed up if it wasn't too old. Wartburg presumably never ran again though, but the bootlid looks mint! (maybe the car's still there :lol: )

these images bring that neck injury flooding back..funny...i was thinking that the Warty might still be languishing in some local junkyard...the object that Jesus is retrieving from the boot was a vintage saxaphone which incredibly was undamaged..whilst the disciple on his rights suitcase was totally crushed..he had to do the rest of his holiday with a rubbish bag...when we finally got down sth me in resplendid neck brace..for my birthday i insisted on a picnic in the local junkyard...wonderful!..are those images to old to be worth posted ?

Amazing period photos! I take loads of photos of my cars in the hope that one day in the future they'll be interesting. Back end looks pretty stoved in, quite an impact!