New V8 (L322 Range Rover) Shyte Bought(ed) Coolerection Saturday Coming!

Hawkeyethenoo

On 8/9/2020 at 12:45 AM, Hawkeyethenoo said:

One. 55L (on leaving Cirencester) top up which is just over half a tank. Range was 612miles at that point. Returned 27.3. Was in the low 30s early doors with the temp in the low 30s and the AC working perfectly, thank feck!

20200809_001111.thumb.jpg.973ce938de7ba11fe76d86c612d5823b.jpg

Avg speed.

20200809_001120.thumb.jpg.120d507a71b2afaac0c2e887e6fe77b9.jpg

Highest speed on a private road was an indicated 110 and was still pulling well. 

Holy shit I managed to squeeze 18mpg out of mine this weekend and I thought I had done well.

13 hours ago, garbaldy said:

Holy shit I managed to squeeze 18mpg out of mine this weekend and I thought I had done well.

Refuelled to full on Sunday at Morrisons and it took 62.5L quick bit of calc' and it had actually returned 25.5mpg.  

Reggie's had the first proper fault yesterday too. Park assist went on the blink. Tried reading the codes but weirdly I wasn't able to check the codes using yon iCarSoft LR v2. Only erase the codes. That didn't work. I checked all the sensors and could hear them all clicking. Just getting the long bleep on start up and then the flashing light.

I thought right your dirty bastard and disconnected the battery and went away and sat in the garden for a bit and had a cold beer, pretending I wasn't bothered that my new car was broken already. Went back later reconnected the battery and BEEEEEEEP! Flashy light. Still pretending I wasn't bothered -- I went away and had my tea and when I came back an hour later and started it up the fault was gone and it has stayed gone. Fecking Range Rovers....

Ronnie now he's on eBay and is booked in for his MOT on Weds has also thrown a wobbly and O/S front indicator has gone on the, blink. Bulb is fine, it's the lamp holder as if I mess about with the bulb it works but the slightest movement and it stops and the flasher relay goes into mad mental mode. New bulb holder on order....  Message on the dash says, check rear fog lamp.

20 hours ago, Crackers said:

Fantastic job. I still think the L322 was a real high point in LR's recent history - both the original and facelift models have aged really well in their own ways, much like the Disco 3 and 4. Excellent purchasing; much approval given.

Agreed. Cheers dude.

Nice looking motor.. 

The 3.6 was an alright motor the only real issues are.. 

The Turbos - EGR coolers - Head gaskets - Intercooler pipework - etc ? 

early L322s had the TD6 which wasn't a bad motor but it had a shit gearbox, the M62 powered early L322 has problems with the engine and gearbox... ;) 

The best pick of the bunch is the 2006 + ajv8 powered cars bullet proof motors.. 

Yours will have the ZF6hp gearbox which needs a service every 60k ZF LIFEGARD 6 don't put dextron in it for godsake!

11 hours ago, Cooper1 said:

Yours will have the ZF6hp gearbox which needs a service every 60k ZF LIFEGARD 6 don't put dextron in it for godsake!

This, THIS, and I cannot stress it enough, THIS!

LR might tell you these are a "sealed for life" gearbox. They are wrong, and the boxes do shit themselves bigtime if not serviced. Don't ask how I know.

19 hours ago, Crackers said:

This, THIS, and I cannot stress it enough, THIS!

LR might tell you these are a "sealed for life" gearbox. They are wrong, and the boxes do shit themselves bigtime if not serviced. Don't ask how I know.

Gearbox has been serviced. EGRs have been deleted/blanked with ECU remapped to suit. This should prolong the life of the turbos...  ?

Previous owner changed the oil every six months and it's due again now, so will be tackling this shortly. Service kit arrives today. 

2 hours ago, Hawkeyethenoo said:

Gearbox has been serviced. EGRs have been deleted/blanked with ECU remapped to suit. This should prolong the life of the turbos...  ?

Previous owner changed the oil every six months and it's due again now, so will be tackling this shortly. Service kit arrives today. 

Excellent news. Sounds like it's been looked after, and the EGR is always a good one to do.

This lump of a thing has just been delivered by two men in a very full van.  :thumbsup:

s-l1600.jpg

Will be fitting it at the weekend. Wish me luck. Came complete except the wiper motor, reversing camera and lower inside trim. It's as grot free as it looks in the photos. £195 delivered.

Wanted to change the AA cover from Ronnie to Reggie, phoned the AA on Weds and they were busy, so requested a call back within 72hrs. The AA phoned me back today, which was good as they say they're closed at the weekends for admin stuff. Changed over vehicles, added my other modern, Golf, both on the full AA package and both covered by breakdown repair insurance. Max of 6 claims per year, max per claim £535, with £35 excess. Also took out the family package which covers my wife and son as drivers of the cars and as passengers in any vehicle. Total cost was £52 extra to pay on the policy which runs till Feb 2021. I think that's stonking value based on the service and payouts on the previous Range Rover, now sold. 

https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/breakdown-repair-cover/how-to-claim

Haven't done much with Reggie as I spent most of today working on Pete the Porsche. He's now been rebuilt and back on his wheels. Battery was flat so on charge overnight and MOT very soon.

Tailgate swap completed.

From this rather rusty one.

spacer.png

To this very near mint one.

spacer.png

Pretty straight forward job really. Most difficult part is removing the loom from the old and then refitting it in the new without damage. New Bosch wiperblade also fitted. Also treated the new tailgate with a serious dose of waxoil. ?

Reggie service today. Oil N filter, air N pollen, N fuel filter too. Messy but worthwhile. Used the correct grade of 5w/30 which meets the Ford spec. Went with Millers (5L x 2 from Opie Oils £75) made/blended in Yorkshire. Takes 9 fecking litres. Picked up the service kit from one of the many LR suppliers and was impressed that it came with a new sump plug and O ring. Also bought myself a new jack.  :salute:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands-trolley-jacks/halfords-advanced-2-tonne-low-profile-trolley-jack-657305.html

£96.00 with the trade card. Pick it up tomorrow.   :highfive:  It's like a trolley jack, but one for adults.  :grin: SGS yin is now demoted to second choice. It's alright for the money paid about £50. Their, SGS axle stands that came with it are really good. Safety third. 

Agreed to buy these from a real gentleman from sunny Didcot. ?

1826469164_LR5002Wheels.thumb.JPG.d666abc44c9138eaedf1f84e2b927069.JPG

Set of four LR405 5002 style wheels with what looks like a pretty decent matching set of Goodyear Eagle F1 255/55/20, + all 16 wheel nuts N centre caps. Plan would be to keep the set of 19s as winter wheels and these new shiny 20s as the summer set. Trying to arrange delivery either via Shiply or wheelcarrier.co.uk. These trucks do 'andle /  turn in better/flatter, with the 20s fitted. 55 profiles are meant to be the best for alround comfort too.

If anyone wants to quote for delivery, please do let me know. ? Oxfordshire to Central Scotland.

New jack collection occured and now set up. Really decent bit of kit which is reassuringly bloody heavy!

20200825_141235.thumb.jpg.ca61f612e7f4d5e6fdcfb9b95b82502b.jpg

Foot pedal is used to raise the jack upto lifting height required and then away you go with the 'andle. Twist said 'andle to lower away. Handy wee tray on top for wheel nuts. Will be a pleasure to use. I've since given the SGS away to a pal of my son's who enjoys spannering. He's delighted with it. ?

20200825_143604.thumb.jpg.6bd46b8683c07791114dc1c5745c62e8.jpg

New shiny wheels will be delivered within the next couple of weeks. Delivery sorted via Shiply for £58, door to door.

Will be asking the local spray shop to quote me happy on the rusty arches....

Near side is the worst.

20200831_131645.thumb.jpg.ff57bf6ab3b5583e75d95eafe1d68f2a.jpg

20200831_131710.thumb.jpg.45ada8e453ddae0ec533eab21066709c.jpg

Offside isn't so bad.

20200831_131750.thumb.jpg.16f58c993882ca5ae7bf5eac4ce517ce.jpg

Must get those sill covers off and survey what lies beneath...  Help ma Boab.

1 minute ago, Cavcraft said:

Proper nice looking car that, very jealous. What's the old Range Rover you have, same shape?

Thanks. Yes this is the 'upgrade' to my now sold 2004 L322 TD6, Ronnie. Reggie the TDV8 is the real deal, proper wafty with slightly better MPG than the TD6 with much more shove, proper fast for a truck.

Okay. I had a go. Those with actual skills in panel beating I apologise in advance.

I set about removing as much rust as I could with 40 grit and sanding pad things. When I got bored with that, probably too soon, I switched to yon rust eater gel stuff and applied two thick coats of that at half hour intervals and left that on for another half an hour before wiping clean with a damp rag. Heated a can of waxoyl in boiling water and used up all the remaining can about 3/4 spraying it like a mad man into all the orifacies. Left all that to air dry and broke out the zinc primer. Decided to apply a couple of coats of that with a half inch brush. ?

Gave the wheel arch inner and outer a good coating and then moved to the leading edge of the sill itself. The sill is in pretty good nick with just surface rust apart from the rear jacking point which was a bit more crusty, but still solid. Once that was dry and while it still wasn't raining and there was no wind, I found the tin of brave pills and went over it again with the rattle can.

20200901_160944.thumb.jpg.6ceeba8e5aa406525e009935382107e3.jpg

Rear jack point.

20200901_161014.thumb.jpg.2d6a52fe74383a323fbcce9c6433d211.jpg

Front sill leading edge.

20200901_161030.thumb.jpg.3206aecdb9f6effe8f70a51277cf3e50.jpg

Weapons of choice.  Rattle can of Buckingham Blue as yet unused obvs. Heating the waxoyl and the primer in boiling water for 5 mins before use really helps.

20200901_161244.thumb.jpg.c4cdcb785a88f827a15e3b083ce573ab.jpg

So, I've made a start. the bits that will be seen will need rubbing down and some filler before adding more primer and at some point the top coat and laquer.  The outer wheel arch will only be seen when the door is open so need not be perfect which is just as bloody well really.

While I'm here. Something I'm much happier working on, the oily bits. #V8!

20200901_161406.thumb.jpg.9b994eb2056673ad476ed2d2a31e4912.jpg

Perfect night for spray painting here, zero wind, so just been out and flashed over the primer with top coat, just before bad light stops play.... Cill or sill? came up really well. Ugly bit on the wheel arch still looks well, ugly. Will be getting a rub down and filler tomorrow. Will also be removing O/S cill cover to see what the state of play is there?

10 minutes ago, Matty said:

Bloody hell thats come up well

Cheers! Really pleased with how the cill has come up. Bit more work tomorrow and should be looking presentable. The primer goes on well as does the top coat. I also have a rattle can of laquer in stock for the finishing touch!

In other news had an issue with brakes. Parking brake light was flashing and beeping on start up. Nowt wrong with the e-handbrake. Then I remembered the brake fluid looked a bit low when I was doing the engine service. Found a new bottle of brake fuild in the shed. Topped it up and flashing and beeping stopped.  Fluid looks a bit brown so probably due a flush N bleed in the not too distant future....