320Touring - Back in the game with a Berlingo..ROBIN BASTARDS 02/04/22

320touring

2 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

this had 150k IIRC, red with black bumpers..so presume boggo spec..

Actually not a terrible price for one of those. 

One of the cars you own where you think "why do I need this?" then when you don't have it you think "I wish I had another berlingo", really wierd, just so practical and actual fun to drive. 

Don't seem to offend anyone either which is odd. People cite things like old minis and beetles as "cars everyone loves" but that's bullshit, I fucking detest beetles, they do nothing for me, don't mind a mini and a four those vw fucking god awful t2 bus things they really are the pits. 

16 minutes ago, vaughant said:

Actually not a terrible price for one of those. 

One of the cars you own where you think "why do I need this?" then when you don't have it you think "I wish I had another berlingo", really wierd, just so practical and actual fun to drive. 

Not a bad steer, reasonably comfy seats for what is basically a van, loads of visibility as there's loads of glass and as accommodating as a van for moving shite; it would be a surprise if they weren't rating well on the £/smile rating.

5 hours ago, 320touring said:

I don't think my mate gets the same MPGS as me - he uses it for a relatively short commute, mainly on town roads, from cold. He has however said that his old Galaxy 2.3 petrol auto used to do a 75L tank every 2 weeks on the commute, whereas this does a 65L tank every 4 weeks. So it's saving him money.

The HDI 90 is still not as good as the VW ALH/PD for MPG (awaits @loserone@davehedgehog31 and @Lacquer Peel to come and murder me😂). but it drives well with a decent wodge of torque.

I reckon a switch to the Bosch fuel system and a remap would make it even better.

I agree about the 2.0 HDI not being quite as efficient as a VE or PD TDI but the Berlingo is a big box of a thing and you seemed to get good fuel consumption from it.  I wasn't too bothered as I had a supply of [redacted] when I had it. 

• 11 months later...

Initial investigation suggests the Berlingo:
Is in howlin need of a clean
Handbrake meets the rear wiper arm
Brakes could do with a bleed (adjusting handbrake should help the feel)
Needs front left bearing imminently
Still leaking oil from turbo
Steering a bit stuff due to stop leak I think
Needs 2 front tyres.

Positives:
Still boosts like a Basturt
Gearbox ok
Suspension feels fine.

Current thoughts - get a proper look at it at the weekend
Get it in for an MOT

Managed to get two part worns fitted this morning. The front end no longer looks like a Kojak tribute act.. "Who loves ya , Berlingo?" As Telly used to say...

IMG_20220304_095506203.thumb.jpg.29d8917d6699b69b146aecdff624142e.jpgIMG_20220304_095456453.thumb.jpg.d34d294d5062e33b8eda0217fa89683f.jpg

Tomorrow it's off to the unit for a once over to see if it's worth doing anything with. 

I look forward* to almost an HR each way of the wheelbearing of doom

Verdict is in:

Wheelbearing front passenger side is gubbed.

Handbrake passenger side not working

Shunt from the driveline under load when turning - it had a new driveshaft when my mate had it, and I suspect it's the wrong one. It's a horrible feeling.

Two sidelight bulbs needed - fitted.

I dunno what to do with it...

signal-2022-03-05-12-00-22-857.thumb.jpg.dbd1d4e2db4350ec1f0934dcff1e5c22.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

In a rather odd turn of events, due to external shenanigans, I've been unable to get this in for an MOT and get any work needed done..

It's lay for about a month, went to move it today and some Robins have made a nest in the rear arch..

IMG_20220401_162317112.thumb.jpg.9dfa2e9d1523633db6110f336791b021.jpg

That'll be nothing getting done for a bit...

• 320touring changed the title to 320Touring - Back in the game with a Berlingo..ROBIN BASTARDS 02/04/22
3 hours ago, 320touring said:

It's lay for about a month, went to move it today and some Robins have made a nest in the rear arch..

That happened to our tractor a few years ago, though that was Mr and Mrs Thrush and family making themselves a cosy home in the battery tray under the bonnet. Have seen a nest made just behind the radiator also, inside the loop of the fanbelt, supported by the pulley at the bottom and the belt up each side! Had to leave everything well alone until they all moved out...

• 6 months later...