320Touring - Back in the game with a Berlingo..ROBIN BASTARDS 02/04/22

320touring

15 hours ago, beko1987 said:

My 2 0hdi starts to hunt and judder if I keep a stable low speed with low revs (45/50 in 5th type of waft), I'm hoping when I do my fuel filter it comes out in a similar state and cures it! 

Either that or engine mounts or something fun*

14 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

My old Blingo did used to judder actually when doing 30ish in 5th.

I fixed it by changing down when it happened.

Sticky EGR valve. Fresh engine mounts help here as they minimise the potential for shunt.

19 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

My old Blingo did used to judder actually when doing 30ish in 5th.

I fixed it by changing down when it happened.

I had a 2.0hdi which did the same, I changed the top Engine  mount on the drivers side of the engine As it was pretty worn which reduced it but it was still noticeable. I then gave up and lived with it 

Thanks to Andyrew I've got half a bottle of diesel injector cleaner in it at the minute, although it still did it on the way home, I just drive around it! It might do some good though

I cleaned the egr valves in both my lagunii and it made a big difference, sure I've heard on the hdi it's buried at the back of the engine though. Deserves some pondering for sure though, even if it won't fix the issue it's a good thing to do, on the blue laguna it was just solid, I had great fun uncovering the holes and areas that shouldn't be full of carbon

I'll have a look at the mounts one day, it is a bit shunty although usually when I've been lazy with the clutch... 

This is now out on loan to a mate of mine - standing in for his 23 mpg 2.3 auto Galaxy.

Hopefully it does him a turn!

I brimmed the tank before taking it to him - 544.7 miles on 55.00L of derv.

45.02mpg. not too shabby given it was getting lashed up the m74 and M6 then tootled about town.

• 5 months later...

The MOT is due on 11th march for this. Current cunning plan is to put it in for an MOT a couple of weeks before expiration.

That way if it passes or doesn't need much, we can get it done.

If it needs loads, we can have a couple of weeks to get something else lined up.

• 2 weeks later...

This went in for MOT today. 

Needs a couple of inner sill patches and a couple of outer sill patches. That's a pretty good win in my book!

As my welding gear is at the unit 3 counties away, and my mate lives 20mins from @blackboilersuit, its heading over there for some fettling.

Many thanks to @blackboilersuit for his help!

Welding started today.....

DSC_9934.thumb.JPG.ac3ebbf2ade5143fa3479ffedab3e2f9.JPG

This...

DSC_9923.thumb.JPG.8575efd57c3b83c710379c67a59fb28a.JPG

Became this...

DSC_9930.thumb.JPG.369ff3d740917ef9cb63cbef04fda1e1.JPG

And this....

DSC_9931.thumb.JPG.4dac223b87f6361d9ba72a6325284b34.JPG

Became this...

DSC_9937.thumb.JPG.c8227d2ae66a19c9de80b807000f21ca.JPG

Not perfect but 100x better than all the rest of the "MOT standard" patches already on the sills.

Have made a start on the first of the inner sills but was loosing the light so called it a day. Weather permitting will get back on it tomorrow.

This is the first significant bodywork I've done since fitting the old clarke welder with a euro torch and it's been a joy to use. Hasn't worked this well in over a decade.

Today I have mostly been repairin' the back of the N/S inner sill and surrounding area.

This is what we started with.......

DSC_9938.thumb.JPG.3411e64ab70c4827409e713d1afb67ed.JPG

Annoyingly the first thing I had to do was cut off the solid gusset to get access to the area where the closing panel between floor, rear arch and inner sill was completely missing. Everything was then cleaned up with a carbide burr on a dremel as that was the only tool physically small enough to fit in the work area. This was a disheartening process as the area behind the arch liner that appeared solid turned out to be 6mm of rock hard factory seam sealer sat on top of bran flakes. Eventually I found something resembling metal to rack the first plate onto and then we were off. Soon the void was covered thus....

DSC_9940.thumb.JPG.c81d0c1cc90082771bb1cd78b06a4b3d.JPG

After that it was a simple enough job to plate up the inner sill and replace the gusset I had to chop out with a piece of 2mm flat bar. Leaving the finished job looking like this......

DSC_9943.thumb.JPG.86b6d00b32547a03bf0352499b8beceb.JPG

Apologies for the photo's not being great but the working space underneath the area in question is somewhat sub-optimal.......

DSC_9941.thumb.JPG.73969dd7030fcea684fc277bbbe6e3de.JPG

Tomorrows job is the other inner sill which looks to be in much better condition so fingers crossed this time tomorrow it'll be all done and ready to be picked up and go for its re-test.

Final day on the Berlingo.

No access for a grinder so once again the Dremel with a carbide burr is the tool of choice.

DSC_9948.thumb.JPG.ca4363e3188cc1b005a722e49aa18474.JPG

This cleared all the grot from around the offside rear inner sill to reveal this.....

DSC_9947.thumb.JPG.54e2cd273f5a630c7d1833e106f027aa.JPG

Some very careful welding later and we have this.....

DSC_9950.thumb.JPG.51cb2d09fad7c38663429795a5b3fa15.JPG

It'll do but it's not the prettiest. This area while still being solid is starting to get thin and blowing holes was all too easy. It's good enough for a ticket though and that's all that matters. To sort it the same way I did the other side would need draining the tank to remove the filler neck to give better access so I elected to take the easier of the two options! At the end of the day it's a 200k+ mile, 16yr old van and not a restoration.

A quick refresh of the tidemark with a can of stonechip and we're good to go. Ready to be collected and go for a re-test.

DSC_9951.thumb.JPG.3f5fc0bb0640189324355bf1c7b6fe2d.JPG

I don't think my mate gets the same MPGS as me - he uses it for a relatively short commute, mainly on town roads, from cold. He has however said that his old Galaxy 2.3 petrol auto used to do a 75L tank every 2 weeks on the commute, whereas this does a 65L tank every 4 weeks. So it's saving him money.

The HDI 90 is still not as good as the VW ALH/PD for MPG (awaits @loserone@davehedgehog31 and @Lacquer Peel to come and murder me😂). but it drives well with a decent wodge of torque.

I reckon a switch to the Bosch fuel system and a remap would make it even better.

11 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

looked at a newer shape one (58reg) the other day, loadsa room and was £1499 on a local cheapo car sales place..i was surprised how roomy they were

They seem to come up quite often with moon miles as ex taxis - usually sub £2k here.

My mate (ex Saab owner) bought one that had come off a schools contract from a local private hire. Relatively low mileage, 6 years old. She loves it - built a wee camper pod for it, and uses it as a van for her husband's brewery.

8 minutes ago, 320touring said:

They seem to come up quite often with moon miles as ex taxis - usually sub £2k here.

My mate (ex Saab owner) bought one that had come off a schools contract from a local private hire. Relatively low mileage, 6 years old. She loves it - built a wee camper pod for it, and uses it as a van for her husband's brewery.

this had 150k IIRC, red with black bumpers..so presume boggo spec..