320Touring - Back in the game with a Berlingo..ROBIN BASTARDS 02/04/22

320touring

4 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

Thanks for the app info,I'll try that for mine. I can say in my experience a lot of parts can be interchangeable electronically. I was told it's not possible but my 406 is BSI controlled and has a 54 plate picasso comms unit,fuse box and brake servo and master cylinder fitted. I've never had issues mechanically with any of my hdi 90s either. Injectors are not coded,no duel mass flywheel or dpf and all that jazz. I'm curious about the Germany beadle too!

Is there a thread for the 406?

Now, lest you think I am getting all posh in my old age, let's have a look at some of the 'lightly used' vibe this wagon gives off.

First up, as befits the user name of the vendor..

IMG_20200806_193057.thumb.jpg.88b09a2c1198384385f825e8e37e2008.jpgIMG_20200806_193109.thumb.jpg.13ac000a849e7e3c68545e6d8f65e7c2.jpg

some rust on the bonnet - no doubt an @eddyramrod patented repair can be applied :)

IMG_20200806_193103.thumb.jpg.ae19a1478883d9149056f494bed8bffd.jpg

The bootlid has a scar - I wonder how it achieved that?IMG_20200806_193140.thumb.jpg.ac732d68ea9adaacaf1bca23741eb983.jpg

It also appears to have been parked by touch along the passenger side.

IMG_20200806_193116.thumb.jpg.8ca379c736d961abe40234e2c171bfe8.jpg

IMG_20200806_193121.thumb.jpg.964f13eddcad033ee5ce9304153778ca.jpg

IMG_20200806_193129.thumb.jpg.12ecbf091aad710c162ea9c2e2af7590.jpg

Lastly, the drivers side sliding door can only be closed when the drivers door is open.

This is because the drivers door top pin is worn, and the door droops slightly, causing a less than perfect panel gap

IMG_20200806_193042.thumb.jpg.f0ea8f4a6fdf81c3c2f1686191facfec.jpg

Mint it is not.

The drive up the a87  a joy -flowing bends and sharp elevation changes rewards a driver who can let a car go with the road. 

Unless you are the driver of a certain 18 plate Audi A3.

This displayed :

A failure to understand that vehicle speed can be modulated using throttle only

A belief that each corner must be taken at no more than 35mph

A somewhat errant understanding of speed limits. 45 in a 60 but pulling away from me at rate of knots in a 40.

I dropped back some - the burds parents were in the car behind, and I thought better of a pass being made lest we lost them.

Instead, we stopped at Elian Donan Castle. It was as bright and inviting as ever!

IMG_20200807_212326.thumb.jpg.05191a8b3fcb3ead881a031f8489054c.jpg

That was taken at 4pm ish.

As soon as we crossed the bridge, the skies lightened and the weather became most clement.

Portree was achieved in good time.

IMG_20200807_173844.thumb.jpg.c27cbce3fa3a3ac0447c1b18c26f7e01.jpg

Scores on the doors

IMG_20200807_173137.thumb.jpg.c376a1fce2049c8668ca5406c168fb6c.jpg

Feet up and beer in Haun..

IMG-20200807-WA0048.thumb.jpeg.b2831fe45f57894d03f0608fdc96e0fa.jpeg

I'll do an initial driving impressions post later.

I done this to our heap of a pug partner at work after the inhibitor broke between 5th and reverse. It would get stuck in 5th then as you snagged it out it would grab reverse. 

A plate and some screws make it usable. People still tried to ram it into fifth and broke the centre console.  

The bungee was a quick fix as a spring was broke aswell. 

Still in daily use!

Screenshot_20200807-215635.png

After having done 230 miles in it yesterday, I have formed some initial opinions.

Space and Layout

The clue is in the name. Berlingo Multispace Desire.

There is hunnerts o it!

Being based on a van body, the passenger space is cavernous. The car has a fivehead instead of a forehead.

The interior is well laid out, with the multitude of cubbyholes easily accessible and logically laid out. Despite overhead storage, there is ample headroom.

The front seats have long rails so plenty of adjustment. The arm rests are a nice touch and make for a leisurely drive.

The rear seats have yet to be tested by passengers, but have 3 X 3 point seatbelts, and sufficient room for 3 ample bums.

They also fold up vertically behind the front seats - providing easily enough storage for a load widdin pallet.

You can see why they are popular as micro campers.

Also worth of note are the pop out side Windows, sliding rear side doors and a boot hatch that can double as a pretty damn good rain shelter.

Driving Dynamics

Now, anyone looking for sporty pretentions should likely not be reading about a Berlingo.

However, for those who enjoy a practical gallic approach to Hoonery, please read on.

The observations below apply to this specific example:

The front cabin in roomy with sensibly laid out ergonomics and easy to identify controls. The steering wheel is large, and girthy, reflecting the cargo based origins of the beast.

The wheel is adjustable for height, but not reach, and moves in an arc as you adjust the height. With it at the top, it sits much like a bus steering wheel. Luckily there is sufficient room betwixt the wheel on lowest and the seat to allow for even my portly thighs.

The steering wheel also conveys what the front end is up to - in a surprisingly positive fashion. It's not as sharp as an Alfa 156, but nowhere near as vague as a Vectra B.

As it is softly sprung, the ride is pleasant despite dampers and springs that are not in the first flush of youth. The recent new rear axle fitted for the MOT in March (same design as shared with the Peugeot 405) means the back end feels taught but compliant.

Like a lot of commercial vehicles, handling and comfort is improved slightly when carrying a load. The improvement is noticeable with a full tank of derv and the luggage for the weekend away.

Initial turn in is slow, mainly due to the HDi up front, but once pointed, it is happy to carry speed through the corners. So much so, that you can easily flow along behind much faster cars without discomfort.

The brakes arrest progress sufficiently, but I think a fluid change is in order to improve pedal feel and performance.

Lastly, but not least, the engine. The 2.0HDi in its various guises (Inc ford tdci) were quite the revelation back in the day. Smooth, reliable and frugal performance on a par with the VAG offerings of the time.

Fast forward 15 years and 207k miles, and this 90bhp non intercooled version feels like it has done a shift. Turbo noise is noticeable, there is a stutter on light throttle (4th/5th gear between 40-50ish). It disappears when you go Fu'Gutty, though, so you can drive round it.

It likes to rev - at least in diesel terms. The turbo feels 'late', and the engine is not a fan of low rev/high load situations.

Personally, I think a good service/EGR clean/new fuel filter and potentially a MAF replacement will smarten it's performance considerably.

To its credit though, it pulls well, and as I do more miles I get used to the characteristics, and can see the merits of the engine.

I'll consider giving it a fettle once home!

4 hours ago, chaseracer said:

I need to get the EGR valve sorted on mine... missing it now ?

Do what I've done. When engine is stone cold remove the vac hose from the egr diaphragm and plug it up with a bolt then also remove the blue electrical plug from diaphragm too.  It doesnt trigger any eml lights but will show a fault on a diagnostic tool. car runs fine with it shut off. 

@320touring the 90 never is a ball of fire. The stutter you describe sounded like mine did too but mine was around 1600 to 1800 rpm light throttle but went when foot went down. It will be either a mount or driveshaft as mine has gone after the bits have been changed over. Can you put up a pic of the maf sensor please? I have a couple known good ones which are from a picasso and they fit onto the air intake ducting where the 406 has the maf unit attached to air box with screws then the intake ducting after it. I can get one posted if it looks the same.

Also regarding the micro camper setup you can buy a unit that fits straight into the rear if the berlingo with seats out and it's sort of an all in one job with a slide out stove,storage and seating area. I think you can also get an awning affair which pops over the open bootlid

13 hours ago, bub2006 said:

@320touring the 90 never is a ball of fire. The stutter you describe sounded like mine did too but mine was around 1600 to 1800 rpm light throttle but went when foot went down. It will be either a mount or driveshaft as mine has gone after the bits have been changed over. Can you put up a pic of the maf sensor please? I have a couple known good ones which are from a picasso and they fit onto the air intake ducting where the 406 has the maf unit attached to air box with screws then the intake ducting after it. I can get one posted if it looks the same.

Cheers Bub. Will grab a pic when back home:) funnily enough, @jaypee had suggested it could be a mount. Worth some investigation!

12 hours ago, chaseracer said:

12 hours ago, chaseracer said:

Already considering options for it, but would make my own. The one in the first link, everyone you see sitting on them looks scrunched up - think the legs are too high.

The 2nd link, I don't think there's a box alive that could hold me aff the deck?

1 hour ago, 320touring said:

Cheers Bub. Will grab a pic when back home:) funnily enough, @jaypee had suggested it could be a mount. Worth some investigation!

Funnily enough my juddering has returned this morning on way to car boot in the cold and damp. I'm thinking still a mount but possibly a bit of damp somewhere. Lashings if vaseline on the connectors I think.

Foolish.

adjective

1.Resulting from or showing a lack of sense; ill-considered; unwise:

2.Lacking forethought or caution.

3.Buying a cheap french car on Tuesday, humping it up the steepest climb in the UK on the Sunday. Preparation included cleaning the seats and topping up the screenwash

Only 14 miles from Portree there is a place called Applecross. It has a lovely Inn, and glorious views. Sounds ace. There's only the small matter of the sea in the way.

Instead, one must drive 75 miles down off Skye, then up to Strathcarron and round through Lochcarron before tackling a road that sorts the wheat from the chaff.

The Pass of the Cattle.

I could wax lyrical regarding this road up and over to Applecross. But hopefully will at least know of it.

"The historic mountain pass was built in 1822 and is engineered similarly to roads through the great mountain passes in the Alps, with very tight hairpin bends that switch back and forth up the hillside and gradients that approach 20%. It has the steepest ascent of any road climb in the UK, rising from sea level at Applecross to 626 metres (2,054 ft), and is the third highest road in Scotland."

Ideal.

Now, what you need to know is that road is open to pretty much everything bar large lorries and learner drivers.

That means motorcycles, cars, bicycles runners and walkers.
And me in a 15 year old Berlingo with the Burd and both her 73 year old parents.

With the varied traffic, one is often slowing until people get to passing places to allow you to carry on. Passing bikes up hill is best done courteously, holding back and letting the rider work on the arduous climb!

All the time I am doing this on the climb up, I see the temp gauge moving upwards.

It has always run cold. I suspect the thermostat is gubbed.

The road:

applecross-inn.jpg.b9328c08453d111b669e5d86742ebe09.jpg

The road:

MMJFJ3.thumb.jpg.ee01a0a2c9fe3179fd6a3452296bfeab.jpg

Stop.

Start.

Climb.

Glance.

Repeat.

The main climb was then over. Into the side we go.

IMG_20200809_123321.thumb.jpg.807240187720d49b7f65c5216e7cb42f.jpg

She is somewhat toasty.

Nice view though

IMG_20200809_123531.thumb.jpg.4bb65ee683dec8c59356913ed9b91c8b.jpg

Time to deploy the age old trick.

Fans to full, heater to max warmth. A wee Tate of throttle too, to get the coolant circulating. The coolant circuit was full, and no steam/bubbling.

The Burd n parents are distracted by the view, and photos aplenty are taken.

A few minutes later:

IMG_20200809_123953.thumb.jpg.942af0c2d35f73ce7d5cf8d4ab208403.jpg

Getting there...

I called the Burd and Outlaws over. Time for lunch! 

Down the other side with the heaters still running and by the bottom she was bang back at normal.

IMG_20200809_130533.thumb.jpg.868a9dc297555f5be02ce22d40ac561f.jpgIMG_20200809_130703.thumb.jpg.549619f995f362f99b51a7162f3e0ca3.jpg

despite the "toasty at the top" incident, we were still 30mins early for lunch, so had the for a short perambulation.

IMG_20200809_131426.thumb.jpg.bcb0c89d1410b2e649334bceb06bb441.jpg

We've (the Burd and I) have been here a few times. The scran is always good, and the views are tremendous regardless of the weather.

Both parents loved it but suggested it may be a touch more than remote in the winter. In particular, the Burd's maw is not a fan of mountain roads. She made the mistake of looking out the window a few times!

After a fine repast and a refreshing coffee, it was time to go right back over it again.

In a rare display of learning, the heaters were put onto full heat and 1/2 fan as soon as the car was started.

Much happier this way, we crested the rise with a needle at 90 and no worries.

IMG_20200809_152907.thumb.jpg.2ec3c55b6eaa0ac0722f0252a7f6bb56.jpgIMG_20200809_152848.thumb.jpg.8ea562ef8a48d9a854bb2adbacda1ae9.jpg

IMG_20200809_153033.thumb.jpg.bf6c48b488f1925bc41c153c4830d685.jpg

this never gets old. Even when it's covered in mist (quite the fun drive).

Down the other side was grand. Temp normal, few cars coming the other way. Lovely. Maw-outlaw calm too.

The ride home was uneventful, and included a stop at the Co-op in Kyle of Lochalsh

IMG_20200809_164813.thumb.jpg.1d25cabf417de7677ab30b67cbc975bd.jpg

Home and the scores on the doors..

IMG_20200809_174539.thumb.jpg.3a287f8fe52f6a934510beb8d26c6d61.jpg

Paw-outlaw seems very relieved he didn't have to drive his Volvo XC60 there and back.

Only 230 miles to do tomorrow.

Nice 306 DTurbo shooting brake there M9.

Fun fact, this is exactly the same chassis as a Xsara Picasso, I think I read that anyway and the rear beams and wishbones are interchangeable.

The front end in turn is just the 306/Xsara one widened by about 40mm by making the wishbones slightly longer at the baljoint end.

To determine if Siemens or Bosch you should be able to see the ECU under the bonnet on the passenger side. Everything would need changing I think, injectors, pump, looms. There are options for the Siemens now as someone has posted but they cost more than your preferred £0.

The turbo drain pipe is likely to be an absolute shitter of a job, the turbo is hidden somewhere down the back of the engine. I don't even think you can really see it because of subframes and stuff. If it were me I would take it to my tame Polish mechanic and think the £40-50 he might charge worth it it terms of keeping rust and oil out of my eyes.

If you do try it yourself tho I'm pretty sure the turbo on these is an old fashioned flappy wastegate with a mechanical actuator, so you may be able to achieve some additional GLF with a few turns on the WG arm or even an eBay special bleed valve.

Chodspeed sir, these are truly the car that everyone needs, but nobody actually wants.

1 minute ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Is that 380 miles on a bit more than half a tank? Impressive. 

I just found this particular example depressing and couldn't wait to get out of it, I wouldn't say no to a nicer one.

Looks like it aye, am hoping it gets home on this tank...

I quite like it ? mind you, you've seen most of my scrap!

3 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Nice 306 DTurbo shooting brake there M9.

Fun fact, this is exactly the same chassis as a Xsara Picasso, I think I read that anyway and the rear beams and wishbones are interchangeable.

The front end in turn is just the 306/Xsara one widened by about 40mm by making the wishbones slightly longer at the baljoint end.

To determine if Siemens or Bosch you should be able to see the ECU under the bonnet on the passenger side. Everything would need changing I think, injectors, pump, looms. There are options for the Siemens now as someone has posted but they cost more than your preferred £0.

The turbo drain pipe is likely to be an absolute shitter of a job, the turbo is hidden somewhere down the back of the engine. I don't even think you can really see it because of subframes and stuff. If it were me I would take it to my tame Polish mechanic and think the £40-50 he might charge worth it it terms of keeping rust and oil out of my eyes.

If you do try it yourself tho I'm pretty sure the turbo on these is an old fashioned flappy wastegate with a mechanical actuator, so you may be able to achieve some additional GLF with a few turns on the WG arm or even an eBay special bleed valve.

Chodspeed sir, these are truly the car that everyone needs, but nobody actually wants.

Aye am lead to believe it bears more than a passing resemblance to the Xsara Picasso and potentially the 405 in the rear beam dept. The handling feels vaguely familiar.

Based on the fuel filter housing (yes really) it's the Siemens setup I have. And the two fuel filters I have won't fit:(

I reckon once I get it back I'll give it a service and see what the script is with the turbo seal. If I pull the oil out before jacking it up, I should be able to get a look at things without gallons running down my arms.

Do you reckon the WG arm needs turning in or out for MOAR BOOZT.

Been looking at brake stuff today too. Obvious, cos it's french there are a minimum of 3 versions for each component..