1951 Lanchester LD10 - Rear Corner Inspection

vulgalour

I have Gearbox Curiosity.

I am highly amused that this one operates using a principle very similar to an old mechanical adding machine.

Also I smile because it's all completely mechanical. Selector sets the stop on the mechanism in the correct place, then giving the pedal a shove actually changes the position of the band engagement shaft until it hits the stop, which takes a fair bit of force (hence foot pedal). 

With a little bit of work it could be a fully automatic gearbox, also makes me smile. 

Sounds like it'll be fun to drive.

Phil

32 minutes ago, PhilA said:

I am highly amused that this one operates using a principle very similar to an old mechanical adding machine.

Also I smile because it's all completely mechanical. Selector sets the stop on the mechanism in the correct place, then giving the pedal a shove actually changes the position of the band engagement shaft until it hits the stop, which takes a fair bit of force (hence foot pedal). 

With a little bit of work it could be a fully automatic gearbox, also makes me smile. 

Phil

I think that is what they were developing for the Sprite. They gave up and the last of the Conquests had Borg-Warner 3-speed auto-boxes installed instead.

41 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Phil

Like the Packard Ultramatic...with electric push buttons.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramatic

13 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

I think that is what they were developing for the Sprite. They gave up and the last of the Conquests had Borg-Warner 3-speed auto-boxes installed instead.

Detroit Gear and Borg-Warner held so many patents on some essentially very simple principles that trying to get around that and not get sued to the hilt was nigh-on impossible at that time.

I was warned  about driving a Daimler of similar vintage because if you braked hard whilst reversing the engine would increase its revs and fight against you on a bid to destroy the rear end of the car against whatever was behind you. I think that was more of a throttle linkage design error than gearbox problem.

1 hour ago, DSdriver said:

I was warned  about driving a Daimler of similar vintage because if you braked hard whilst reversing the engine would increase its revs and fight against you on a bid to destroy the rear end of the car against whatever was behind you. I think that was more of a throttle linkage design error than gearbox problem.

Heard similar about some American tin- if the engine mount fails, the engine sags down pulling the throttle wide open...

15 hours ago, DSdriver said:

You also have to be careful not to mistakenly leave them in drive by not 'selecting' neutral when the quadrant is at 'N' - and holding them on the handbrake and get out of the car, especially standing in front. Likewise starting on the starting handle. Without getting back in the car they will continue to run forward if handbrake not great or not on. More here:

https://classicmotorhub.com/blog/learning-to-drive-a-pre-selector-gearbox-in-the-lanchester-ld10/

I've just finished washing the car and am now enjoying a sit down indoors and having a bit of a rehydrate.  In the meantime, here are some more pictures and info on what's arrived.  In the boot are two spare tyres and a bare spare steel.  The two boot floors, both the wooden one and the steel one, are in remarkably good shape.  The split cover for the fuel filler neck is present but not screwed down, I suspect the screws I found in the glovebox are for that.  The rear light lenses are different on each side of the car, but there's a matching one for the light on the right in the glovebox, I might fit it, I might not.

202008-03.thumb.jpg.89a6c5e7eb69cd5880c8eb47be4ba8d6.jpg

202008-05.thumb.jpg.61f8187509d3ca64ac400caa9ac234a2.jpg

To answer @wuvvum's query about the boot lid, it does open more than the Conquest's 15 degrees, but because of the shape it doesn't feel like it.  Not the most practical boot design ever.  The hinge on the left can be pulled back to lock it, just be careful when you push it to unlock it because the lid will come down rather rapidly!

202008-04.thumb.jpg.135a9043da146fc2e7ab19de565cd0c6.jpg

In the engine room up front, it seems to be intact.  The fuel line running to the carburettor is currently disconnected with a bit of copper pipe taking it's place that served as the feed line for the remote fuel tank we ran on viewing day.  We will correct this, it's not difficult.  To the right of the image you can see the sediment bowl and the Irn Bru looking fuel in it, the sediment bowl is plastic, surprisingly, I'd expected it to be glass.  There is coolant of some sort in it, though it does smell like something halfway between household emulsion and thinners, so goodness knows what's actually in there.

202008-06.thumb.jpg.4159eb0bf94d256d529461086d54cde7.jpg

202008-07.thumb.jpg.baf737a85531c7dbbd59bf0850050a63.jpg

Let's have an overview of the outside then.  It actually rolled off the trailer fine, slowed a bit by the flat front tyre. The brakes did work and the car is holding quite happily on the handbrake, which was a pleasant surprise.

202008-08.thumb.jpg.d5db8885554af7337843452f223038f1.jpg

202008-09.thumb.jpg.f83e9bdcf2516820baf661b16afeb736.jpg

202008-10.thumb.jpg.55afd957d88080d2762df2523921c3c2.jpg

202008-11.thumb.jpg.6566a02bdd538194659bc2310150c58f.jpg

There's a lot of dents and scrapes and paint damage all over and that's okay.  What rust there is on the car is very minor, not at all what I'm used to.  The worst of the paint defects is on the aluminium roof and boot lid because a lot of the paint is just flaking off.  Obviously it's not a problem because it's aluminium so we're just going to leave that be.  You'll notice it's wearing hubcaps now too, these were in the car and are a nice snug fit, they've been painted at some point, though not badly, you can still read the Lanchester script on them.  The chrome on the bumpers is shot and there's a good amount of pitting on the handles and boot hinges, again not an issue for what this car is.

Let's move inside.  There's what looks to be part of the exhaust sat on the back seat.  The battery lives under the passenger side of the back seat, it's gone because of course it is, so I'll have to get a new one of those once I figure out what type it needs, I'm not sure if this car is on 6 or 12 volt.  The back seat is actually in much better condition than I remembered and probably just needs a clean and feed and nothing else.

202008-12.thumb.jpg.8b76ceb9516394c69485a911172f233b.jpg

The rear door cards likewise are in better condition than I remembered.  Even the headlining and draught excluder strips are in good, if dirty, condition.

202008-13.thumb.jpg.f260e6bd82ededfb7952c5b2e304cf75.jpg

Up front, the worst of the damage is to the passenger seat where a cat has been using it to sharpen claws.  Both seat bases are a little flat feeling, as if the springs or stuffing are tired, but are otherwise incredibly comfortable.

202008-14.thumb.jpg.c57ca94e40407208c5e140bda0f2886a.jpg

202008-15.thumb.jpg.c67768d110f80d08d61659caf7b113e6.jpg

Both front door cards are not as bad as I feared when I first viewed them, now I can see that it's not so much water damage as rotted out stitching that's the problem, with the driver's door being much worse.  Careful unpicking should allow me to completely save these with the original materials.

202008-16.thumb.jpg.7ad03fd7e487bb6c36e0037acc4eeea4.jpg

Am I still happy?  Absolutely!  The smell inside this car is that perfect old car smell, especially with it being so warm outside today.  It's remarkably cosy inside, you half expect there to be a little pot-bellied stove under the dashboard.  It's the most grown-up car I've ever owned.  Glass and interior next, mostly just to get the dust out of everything.  What's left of the paint does take a shine and I've a plan to spruce that up without compromising how the car actually looks.  Thanks to having the garage, keeping this car looking like it does now without it deteriorating should be eminently possible.  It's almost disappointing there's not more junk in the car really, chances of hidden treasure are quite slim.

very awesome stuff :) im very looking forward to seeing this on the road! any idea on how much work it needs to be road worthy etc?

is it just a case of some new tyres a systems check n your ready to roll? :)

9 minutes ago, vulgalour said:

I'm not sure if this car is on 6 or 12 volt

not a 100% definitive way to tell but a good way is check the voltages of the bulbs fitted perhaps?

although someone could have easily fitted the wrong bulbs at some point

happy to also try and figure out the date of manufacture of the bulbs you pull out :) 

Yes wiping the car over with WD40 or something may be the way forward to keep the weathered look. Stripped and repainted the car wd loose so much character...likewise repairing the interior.

Ford Consul announced in 1950 at about £750  was a world away...and a Zodiac was about £850. The Lanchester must have appealed to the 'traditionalist' who liked the 'Pre-War looks  - but it was expensive and to an extent you can see where the money went in terms of quality of materials and workmanship. But so impractical in parts - why make the boot so small for example - maybe people sent on their luggage by train.

Super car though. Congrats on getting it. Wonder where its been all these years. I really like the scruffy look compared to something 'restored'.

20200808_141208.jpg

Thats amazing! I'd clean and restore the interior as much as possible, and the glass, then as said, wash the outside in oil. 

Best of both worlds then, a really nice place to sit, and looking fab on the outside. Would a clean and feed of the front seats then some period correct* or knitted seat covers be the way forward? Or just a better set of leather from another seat I suppose

What a superb motor car!  I am quite jealous.

I would expect it to be 12v, most post-war British stuff was.  It was mainly the French who persisted with 6v into the 1950s.  And the Ford Prefects, but they were pre-war cars anyway.

Edit: this PDF of a workshop manual appears to confirm that.

http://ld10.awardspace.co.uk/articles/trader138.pdf