1951 Lanchester LD10 - Rear Wing Removal

vulgalour

1954 - at the Motor Show Lanchester showed a new successor small car - the 'Sprite'. But for complex reasons it did not reach production and then Lanchester closed.

Here is the story:

https://www.jaguarheritage.com/jaguar-history/jaguar-engineering/lanchester-sprite/

And the write up from 'The Motor' 1954 Motor Show edition. 

What a waste of development resources  but again the new car was £1077 when the new similar sized and a new model for '54 Austin Cambridge was about £700.  

Once Lanchester closed several 100 workers were let go too - some probably worked there from pre-war days. 

20200805_090013.jpg

20200805_085926.jpg

20200805_085950.jpg

20200805_111538.jpg

Super quality old car made as good as they could make it...may have an interesting history if you can find more from the archives at Gaydon or the Coventry Museum of Transport or owners club. Amazing some of these off-beat cars ever survived the 60's and the MoT. Possibly tucked up in a garage somewhere - these cars appealed to well-healed gentlefolk. These Barker bodied cars seem to survive better than the Briggs all steel ones.

Barker were owned by Daimler who also owned Hooper - two in-house coach builders for extra cachet.

21 hours ago, vulgalour said:

...  Presumably having the wings in steel rather than aluminium was done because they can brush off more substantial bumps.

I have a recollection of the Evening Standard newspaper delivery vans in London having rubber front wings. Presumably so they could bounce off other cars/traffic islands/policemen.

18 hours ago, DSdriver said:

I have a recollection of the Evening Standard newspaper delivery vans in London having rubber front wings. Presumably so they could bounce off other cars/traffic islands/policemen.

pretty sure GPO moggies n the such like had rubber wings for the same reason as well :) 

6 hours ago, loserone said:

What's with the road signs window sticker in her car?

My old man's Sprite had one of those, it was a "Fellow British People, your road signs are no longer words! Heed, they are pictograms, and for those of you who are galactically stupid, here are the simplest ones and what they mean. Your future contains traffic circles."

Nobody believed they'd last, like motorway speed limits and VAT.

2 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Yes they were issued at the changeover of signs - bit of detail that came with the car from the 60's. I can't remember if they were official or given away by petrol companies. Like a lot of ephemera easily discarded and possibly quite rare now.

"Sybil, put your glasses on, what does that squiggly thing in a triangle mean?"

4 hours ago, lesapandre said:

Yes they were issued at the changeover of signs - bit of detail that came with the car from the 60's. I can't remember if they were official or given away by petrol companies. Like a lot of ephemera easily discarded and possibly quite rare now.

Yeah, my old man was aghast when he came back to the car after popping into the newsagents and found my mother picking it off the window. Granted, this was about 1978.

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I wouldn't expect anything less.

It never crossed my mind until a chick i went out with once , gave me directions to her new yard ..."turn left , down the  lane 400yards and i'm opposite the sign with a bra on it ".  Er wot?    " There's a bra sign ...you'll see the sign with a bra on it .... I'm opposite.." .... Sure enough  ,sleeping policemen humps and a bra sign ?  but they look more like tits...