Mrs Sparts MG diary.

spartacus

The fixings at the front under the box are the old rad support bolts. There was a bag with new rad support bolts in so I used those instead of the old ones.  The bolts we couldn't find were the ones to hold the fan assy on and the alternator. The alternator bracket is there just not the bolts. 

Mrs spart said spartacus was in process of restoration so the new rad support bolts would enforce the fact he was replacing bolts and fixings as he went. The alternator bracket was at the back of the garage on a pice of card with the rad mount and looked recently painted.

The grill screws couldn't be found and neither could 2 of the 3 supports for top of grille. 

I couldn't fit rad until the fan assembly is fitted because space is tight with rad in situ so I couldn't really do much more which made me feel a little disheartened that I couldn't do much more than what I did. Also missing the fuel hoses from the twin carbs. I don't have any experience of the twin su setup so was unsure how the u shaped linkages fitted between air box and carb,one had either choke or throttle cable going through it the other didn't. 

If someone can point me in the right direction of spare fixings or where to get them from ill gladly go back and finish assembly of the rad etc. Also would appreciate any guidance regards the u shaped brackets that fit onto carbs. I'm not ashamed to ask for advice from people who know more than I!

Take care folks. 

And @Mrs Spart the caravan didn't go as planned as on the way there to view it, the alternator shorted out internally on the van so lots of smells and burning from alternator in a busy bakewell town centre made for an interesting afternoon. 

Also took me nigh on 3 hours to get back the 35 mile due to m1 being closed after an accident. I'm grateful the alternator didn't catch fire on m1 as I wouldn't have known till was too late.

Have a look on Moss that I linked earlier for parts diagrams. You can order from them but might be better ordering on eBay for small bits. I use Moss a lot for small bits as they're local. There is a Moss branch in Bradford, I don't know how far that is for you. 

Big bits I've often bought from http://msc.parts , they've seem the best price. 

Appears Rimmer Bros is the most local to you: https://rimmerbros.com/

Not the best customer service or the cheapest but they will be easy to pick up odd bits and pieces for your BGT. 

27 minutes ago, bub2006 said:

Also would appreciate any guidance regards the u shaped brackets that fit onto carbs.

I'm not entirely sure what U brackets you are talking about. The ones on the linkage? 

Carb mountings to engine and filters is just nuts, studs and bolts. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've not seen things like it before so hard to explain.  Pretty much a u shape that slid over the bolts for airbox to mount to carb. 1 of them had a cable attached to it and was hanging at the side of the carb with I assume to be throttle or choke cable. I'll have a look online. 

Ah this looks like some has changed from HIF4 this to HS4 on this. 

spacer.png

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/mg/mgb-c-v8/fuel-system-induction-controls/carburettors/engine-controls-su-hs4-carburettors-mgb-mgb-gt-1962-72.html

Presumably this:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/bracket-filter-front-ahh6731.html

Part number should be searchable elsewhere on eBay/Google. 

Looks to hold a trunion to hold the cable stationary operate the choke. 

So the MG is slowly getting there...

All the parts back in, with thanks to "Car Surgeon" @Mally👍🏽 Absolutely mesmerising work... He just seemed to know what went where and worked out that all the bolts were in fact there 👍🏽👍🏽

Plus...

It started 😱👍🏽🥲

I've not heard this car for 20 years... I won't lie, mixed emotions of happiness and sadness all rolled into one... It was bitter sweet that @spartacuswasn't physically here to witness it but I'm sure he'd been extremely chuffed 👍🏽👍🏽

20210606_111520.jpg

Should note... Does need a little bit more tinkering to it but to hear that engine once more 👌🏽👌🏽

Later today, off to the Post office to make it officially tax exempt 👍🏽👍🏽

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles/apply-for-vehicle-tax-exemption

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-exemption-from-mot

Result - that's brilliant to hear! I bet Spartacus would be chuffed to bits too. Did Mally replace the water pump gasket? I see Spartacus mentioned it was leaking earlier in the thread.  

When things have settled down a bit for you, it would be wise to get the MG thoroughly serviced after so long sitting around. That, and the old girl should hopefully be more reliable for you this time around! 

Yes, mostly together, couple of brks missing for the top of the grille, but all bolts are in at the bottom so its going nowhere.

There were new points and condenser, but the wrong type.

Points are very old, large pip on and closed up.

I emeried the points with wet and dry, reset the gap something like and after a few spins it started and ran well.

We checked the clutch was free and after a few tears, she drove it out 6ft, and reversed it back in. Perfect.

I should add that I didn't do all the work, @Mrs Spartis quite capable with bolts, ratchet, combination spanner and rolling on the floor to check for leaks.

It's a very nice car, you wouldn't think it hadn't run for 7 years.

Brakes are free and work well, needs new front discs and hand brake lever a little high, lights seem fine.

Tyres look surprisingly good, do for now without a doubt.

Temp gauge is missing its capillary tube so that ain't going to function. (pain of a job getting the gauge out) I've done a few.

So off home I go, win, win.

20 minutes up the A1 whist in stationary traffic, I get a txt. Won't start! Want's too but won't.

Thought about turning back, but I'm moving nowhere, and I suspect the points, which I can't do anything about.

So, correct points and condenser on order from Moss.

When they arrive I'm going back, fit the points and  clean out the carb float chambers. Can't be much else. Should prob get plugs, but they look good. To be continued.

TDLR

Nice car, brrm brrm, splut.

👍🏽

So...

As per @Mallyadvice, the MG is now officially MOT and Tax exempt 👍🏽Very straight forward went into the Post Office with the current V5 document and filled in a V112 MOT exempt form... Painless! Just awaiting for the historic V5 document to arrive... But the post office says everything done and ready to drive straight away. Thank you again for that 👍🏽😊👍🏽

As per @SiC advice (from Aug 2020), looked into Hagerty Insurance... £118 to insure for the whole year 👍🏽😊 Perfect, thank you 👍🏽

Couldn't find the V5 document for @spartacusworkvan and ended up filling in a V62 form... 5min later the workvan is now under my name and awaiting a new V5 document 👍🏽

This week;

I believe @wesacosais collecting @spartacusFiat Panda 👍🏽🥲 & @spartacusDeath Bike is being collected by @motorpunkon behalf of @64A60👍🏽🥲

9 minutes ago, Mally said:

I didn't,  but that's the wrong type.

The  condenser clips into the points spring, and the fly lead pokes through a hole in the dizzy base to connect the coil.

There is no post with a nut on this car.

Lucas 45D dizzy? It should have a 25d but could well have been swapped for a new repro 45D. 

You can still fit those HQ condensers, just requires soldering it onto the tab of the condenser. 

4 minutes ago, Mally said:

Every things been swapped on this, it's the wrong colour, wrong wheels, wrong interior.

Yeah that's why I suspected it's a 45d given your description - picture above is on a cheapy repro 45d. The supplied 45d condenser on Moss/Accuspark/all of them is the same awful quality condenser that blights classic cars that we all know about. However a HQ one can easily be soldered in by chopping the crap one off. Much better doing that than the points burning out a couple of miles down the A1. 

Depends on the budget and dizzy condition. 

If the budget is there, I'm a massive convert to the 123 Ignition. This replaces the dizzy with one specifically designed for electronic ignition. Also readily available cap and rotor as used on so many other cars, made by Bosch, Beru and others. So none of this repro nonsense. My BGT has been running the best it ever has since I put mine in. That's after going through several old original Lucas dizzy and modern repro "Lucas" units. I could have had the original Lucas dizzys rebuilt by the Distributor Doctor, but the 123 was the same price and had the above advantages. Basically a unit that can be fit and forgotten about for years.

If the budget isn't, then spend it first on the brakes. Short term Accuspark are alright or a Gammatronix spark assist (I believe Spartacus used one on the Panda). The Gammatronix can be had from eBay (cottage business) and is of the same ilk as the old fashioned Sparkrite units. I.e. chop out the condenser and put between coil and points. Both of these rely on the dizzy itself being in decent condition. If original Lucas then it may be a bit worn, but can be rebuilt (same cost as a 123 ignition though). If repro (Indian / Chinese made) then the experience of many is that they start out ok but they start to loose timing. My cheap 45d started loosing it badly after only 800 miles. 

Points you're getting should get it running and moving about though. 

5 hours ago, Mally said:

When they arrive I'm going back, fit the points and  clean out the carb float chambers. Can't be much else. Should prob get plugs, but they look good. To be continued.

Don't forget the points in the pump in the boot! Might have already been changed out to something newer already too?

Might also be worth ordering a length of Ethanol resistant Gates Barricade hose from Moss while you're ordering from there too. Btw Moss fuel filters are a bit crap though as bizarrely they are smoked, so you can't see inside. The usual generic ones from a car parts shop I find much better. 

I have to admit I put complete faith with @Mally... @Mallyhonestly if you seriously think it does need any special parts, let me know and I'll order them. 👍🏽👍🏽

Having met @Mally, I think he knows I'm not OCD on things... If it works and does the job, I'm happy. 👍🏽😊

On 8/1/2020 at 6:42 PM, spartacus said:

She did have a name for it bitd, because it spent so much time at the garage it was c#@t, I'm hoping that now she's got a tame mechanic, (me), that it won't spend so much time being repaired, so maybe Tim will stick, I'll certainly encourage it.

I do feel so sorry for @Mally... Once again @Mallykindly drove over here, with hopes of getting the MGB GT going...

And it did go...

Momentarily before living up to it's old name of c#@t... One day I may take pity on it and call it Tim 😒🤣😂

Thank you again @Mallyfor popping over, honestly I am ever so grateful... 🤞🏽for the rotor motor🤞🏽😬