Always check your fuel lines... SLE71R content

Dick Longbridge

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

Where did you get it from? And I take you have the engine at full temp with no issues?

I bought it from ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Automatic-Fire-Extinguisher-Suppression-Ball-auto-high-risk-secluded-areas/222773142988?hash=item33de5065cc:g:agIAAOSw-3FZB2fF And I will admit that I was a little nervous the first time that I took the van for a long run. I was a bit twitchy up some long M5 hills on the way to Cornwall, but the engine's never going to get any hotter than that, unless there's a serious problem. TBH I never even think about it any more.

DSCN4245.thumb.JPG.e32c871a4189d36a2eb47d377c104a50.JPG

36 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

£55k?! Just because it was on the telly? I can’t get my head around that. It must have doubled or tripled the actual value just because of Minder. Who would pay a £30k premium just so they can say “oh yes, this actual car was once on the telly a bit about 30 years ago”? 

Depends how bad you want it I suppose. There’s only one of them!

Besides that consider what a full restoration would cost. I haven’t spent that much but mine owes me a lot, and mine was never a tv car!

4 minutes ago, junkyarddog said:

To my eye that car never looked that well restored in the first place.

More like something Des would have done from a back street garage,than a professional job.

Might explain the flames!

Ive never actually seen this car tbh, so no idea how good it actually was. I remember it being in PC mag ages back though. Did it ever get displayed at the classic motor show or anything like that?

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Looks like rust blebs along the top of the bulkhead near where the bonnet sits and also around the light area

FB_IMG_1596221946095.jpg

I mean nothing serious but not 100% pristine. 

Missing the cam belt cover, no air filter either. Not concourse by any stretch but maybe that is what it was like in the program perhaps? 

3 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

Missing the cam belt cover, no air filter either. Not concourse by any stretch but maybe that is what it was like in the program perhaps? 

Missing the brake fluid level warning light switch wiring too, or did Ford fit the same cap to everything and then omit the wiring of it was a base model? I forget, but I'm pretty sure our '78 Fez L had it fitted.

Shame though. Ethanol is a government plot to get rid of all older cars on the roads! (Maybe).

Phil

1 hour ago, PhilA said:

Missing the brake fluid level warning light switch wiring too, or did Ford fit the same cap to everything and then omit the wiring of it was a base model? I forget, but I'm pretty sure our '78 Fez L had it fitted.

Shame though. Ethanol is a government plot to get rid of all older cars on the roads! (Maybe).

Phil

My 83 L has it, usually there were only a couple of looms so would expect it to be there.

22 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

Depends how bad you want it I suppose. There’s only one of them!

No, there are thousands of them, but only one with that registration plate. Which you can buy for a tenner. I don’t get it at all. (Nice car, btw, I’m only questioning the sanity of the valuation)

3 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

No, there are thousands of them, but only one with that registration plate. Which you can buy for a tenner. I don’t get it at all. (Nice car, btw, I’m only questioning the sanity of the valuation)

I don’t either tbh, I wouldn’t spend money like that on any car. But maybe that one person had the money and had to have that one particular car?

2 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

It’s worth what someone will pay for it. Is a painting worth £10 million? Or even a pizza worth £10? If someone will,pay it, it’s worth it to them. It may not be worth it to you but that’s why it’s not yours if that makes sense.

I wonder what the previous owner paid for it!?

I seem to remember one of The Professionals Capri’s was basically a rotten scrap yard car someone just happened to have lying around in a yard somewhere, before it was found and repaired. They were basically just like any other old nail at one bit with virtually no value. It’s just in more recent years the ‘value’ has crept in for a rare TV car.

I wish I had one of them sat in my garden!

It’s a ringer anyway, look.

9254DEF6-4DD7-4F80-BE34-D490DD94438F.jpeg.190d7beddaaca28bdecaf7d2958def4d.jpeg

Seriously,I’m the worlds worst mechanic and I’d feel pretty confident I could get that back running in a weekend. It doesn’t even look as if the panels got hot enough to warp. I’m afraid I can’t see why it’s worth so much, but I’m sure the insurers would rather throw £10k at a repair rather than £55,000 total loss.

7 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

No airfilter is a bit of a no-no, a fuel leak from wherever plus a spit back and whoomf!

I blew the head gasket between cylinders on my first Capri with a twin choke Webber. Being clueless I thought the sudden shit running was due to the carb sticking. I took off the air filter and got my (soon to be ex) girlfriend to look and see if the butterfly moved. I then pressed the throttle and was rewarded by a blap blap and two flashes from under the bonnet. My ex jumped about ten feet as a bloody great flame had come out the carb and trimmed her eyebrows for her. She was convinced I did it on purpose! 

Thinking of getting one of these now...

https://firesafetystick.com

An interesting kind of fire extinguisher... you actually ignite it to activate it ?. Long discharge time (compared to a small dry powder extinguisher), (allegedly) 10 year shelf life, no residue to clean up afterwards, and more compact. The explanation of the chemistry on the website is a bit rubbish, but there is a Wikipedia article that seems to describe the same principle.

Looks like the owner (who paid £55k for the Capri in 2016 remember) and who also owns the Minder Daimler, tried selling them both in 2018. I can only assume that his reserve was too high or something as he still owns them both. 

Not casting aspersions, but I wonder what sort of insurance payout he'll get for the Capri repair? As has been mentioned here and elsewhere, the repair in theory looks relatively straightforward. 

FB_IMG_1596221737859.jpg

Given it’s probably now in the hands of the insurance company, I wonder if they’ll care about the cars value or perceived value?

I mean, just because the owner paid £55k for it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s worth that in the eyes of the insurer. They might just see it as ‘an Capri’ and write it off as severely damaged. The panels to fix that alone wont come cheap (I know exactly how much as I’ve recently done it!). 
I really hope the owner doesn’t have any trouble though and it just gets sorted ASAP. I just don’t trust insurance companies!

I guess it depends on if has an agreed value of x. 

Curious this association of car and celebrity. Years ago I had a look around a Range Rover carawagon with a view to buying;  firmerly owned by Mr J Saville it turned out . It wasnt priced higher because of its celebrity connections Back then , but I wonder today what effect the connection would have.

1 hour ago, HMC said:

..... Years ago I had a look around a Range Rover carawagon with a view to buying;  firmerly owned by Mr J Saville it turned out . It wasnt priced higher because of its celebrity connections Back then , but I wonder today what effect the connection would have.

That might well devalue it today.

Yeah, all boils down to if they have an iron clad agreed value policy I'd think.  I would expect otherwise the insurer will simply see it as any other mid 70s Capri of equivalent spec and value it accordingly.  Perceived value and what they paid for it above the "normal" value doesn't usually count for anything in the eyes of an insurance company.

Couple of folks I know had some Very Expensive costume year destroyed by the idiots in TSA a few years back, and they wound up getting back - after months of fighting - getting back the value of the raw materials, something like £400.  Nowhere near the £3500+ they were out of pocket due to the costs of actually commissioning someone to turn a pile of bits into something useful.

If there's a way for them to weasel out of paying a penny they will.

Even with that in mind though, a Capri of that era in good order is probably going to be knocking on £15-20K isn't it?  Based on that value I'd probably expect to see it sorted.  It's not got hot enough to take out the tyres so I imagine the frame has survived relatively unscathed.

Having seen fuel hose from reputed sources disintegrating after six months on the car is why I've taken to using A1 Marine fuel lines for everything these days. 

Really interested to see these self contained extinguishant systems appearing now... I'll definitely have to take a look at those.  Especially for the Jag given they seem to have gone out of their way to ensure that any fuel system leak in there will almost definitely cause a fire.

8 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Having seen fuel hose from reputed sources disintegrating after six months on the car is why I've taken to using A1 Marine fuel lines for everything these days. 

That’s the thing that’s worrying me now, especially with higher ethanol % fuel on the horizon. I’ve been trying to get stuff that’s unleaded A1 hose, but I’m not sure really what I should be looking for?

Is there a standard that I should be getting?

If it did have an agreed value of £55k, it would be interesting to see how easy it was to get the insurance to pay out for that....... call me cynical but I could see them playing the cars "the agreed value was only for setting the premium sir, we only pay current market value"

Regan's Granada has just been restored, a mighty fine job which I am  sure didn't come cheap.  Not sure they engine was rebuilt through despite Bill giving it some gas on most occasions.

2 hours ago, danthecapriman said:

That’s the thing that’s worrying me now, especially with higher ethanol % fuel on the horizon. I’ve been trying to get stuff that’s unleaded A1 hose, but I’m not sure really what I should be looking for?

Is there a standard that I should be getting?

ISO7840 is what you're looking for.  If you go to actual marine suppliers it will cost more, but those places will have every bit of hose traceable back to the exact batch it was made in, so it's worth paying a few quid more I reckon.

A1 hose doesn't need to be differentiated between unleaded, diesel etc.  It's resistant to just about anything short of direct nuclear assault.  Wouldn't want to run LHM or brake fluid through it, but any vehicle fuels you should be fine with.

1 hour ago, Isaac Hunt said:

If it did have an agreed value of £55k, it would be interesting to see how easy it was to get the insurance to pay out for that....... call me cynical but I could see them playing the cars "the agreed value was only for setting the premium sir, we only pay current market value"

Regan's Granada has just been restored, a mighty fine job which I am  sure didn't come cheap.  Not sure they engine was rebuilt through despite Bill giving it some gas on most occasions.

You’ll have to ask our fellow forum old ford restoration wizard.

We did rebuild the engine in Regan's Consul.  Anything the car needed got done as we knew how much it would get scrutinised.  The only things wrong are the tyre profile and pressed number plates but the customer sourced and supplied those.

Many cars that come in often have rock hard fuel lines splitting around the the clamps.  It's asking for trouble and so easy to check/change on your driveway.  Had an XR2 come in Monday with more fuel on the carb than in it due to leaking lines and a split gasket.  Jubilee clamps rusted and missing the screws, coolant hoses rock hard and cracked.  People need to be more careful.