Always check your fuel lines... SLE71R content

Dick Longbridge

Bear in mind this old girl sold for £55k in 2016... the owner has got to be pissed right off. What do we reckon- poor quality fuel pipes? More likely than an electrical fault on a fully restored car I'd have thought.

I would imagine such a significant car will be rebuilt (again) though...

FB_IMG_1596216334932.jpg

28 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

Heavy fire damage might see it declared Cat A or B and therefore off the road for good?

There's no way the owner of such a key car will let it be broken up for spares. As has been proved on here, crowdfunding works if you're lacking monies and people want to see the car live. 

FB_IMG_1596221742054.jpg

FB_IMG_1596221737859.jpg

FB_IMG_1596221946095.jpg

How are batteries secured on the Capri? Doesn't look like it's held in that practical classic picture, unless at the bottom - but that's usually a modern thing afaik. 

If not secured then heavy braking could have dislodged it and shorted against the bonnet. 

7 minutes ago, SiC said:

How are batteries secured on the Capri? Doesn't look like it's held in that practical classic picture, unless at the bottom - but that's usually a modern thing afaik. 

If not secured then heavy braking could have dislodged it and shorted against the bonnet. 

Clamp at the bottom, just one bolt and heavy duty bit of pressed steel. Wrong height battery can cause issues with the bonnet apparently but I have never measured the clearance and there seems a reasonable amount to me. Single fuel line from tank to engine bay (two inch bit of rubber connects tank to fuel line) the short section of fuel line. Modern fuel pipe is very variable. Completely renewed the fuel lines on my old camper and it was pissing fuel less than two years later.

24 minutes ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Possibly the age old ohc with Weber carb problem. Brass pipe comes out of carb body runs of float bowl while pump squirts petrol over top of eng onto hot exhaust.

Someone on antisocial media suggested something similar. Reckoned it had maimed or killed many over the years. 

26 minutes ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Possibly the age old ohc with Weber carb problem. Brass pipe comes out of carb body runs of float bowl while pump squirts petrol over top of eng onto hot exhaust.

Given the low miles, possibly jammed float from modern fuel gumming up the chamber after sitting in there...

Small hand held car type won’t save a petrol fuelled engine bay fire unless you are very lucky. You need a proper plumbed in one. They aren’t crazy money, I fitted one in by old VW camper as they like to fry themselves for fun. Loads of stories of people trying to put them out with the handheld type and can’t remember a single one where it worked. The plumbed in type was about £150 ten years back, not a lot in the grand scheme of things. The fire brigade use a type with a spike on as opening the bonnet is not a good thing to do and most cars are very hard if not impossible to spare the stuff into the bay via the grill due to the radiator.

1 hour ago, barefoot said:

I've got one of these in the engine of bay of my T2 -  https://www.afofireballs.com - I hope never to have to find out if it works, but for just twenty quid I should have one in every thing I drive.

How long have you had it in there, and are these systems periodically tested?

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

How long have you had it in there, and are these systems periodically tested?

It's not designed to be tested, but it's supposed to be good for five years &  I've had it in there a year. The plan is after four years, to buy a replacement & chuck the first one into a flaming garden incinerator fire to see if it really works as claimed!

4 hours ago, barefoot said:

I've got one of these in the engine of bay of my T2 -  https://www.afofireballs.com - I hope never to have to find out if it works, but for just twenty quid I should have one in every thing I drive.

That looks cool (pun intended). Have you mounted it in the engine bay? I prefer the ability to choose when to deploy the fire extinguisher You get with a plumbed in system but at £20 that’s a bargain.

1 minute ago, Tamworthbay said:

Have you mounted it in the engine bay?

Yes, it comes in a little cage which is mounted in the engine bay on the LHS - the carb/air filter is on the other side. 

Like you I'd prefer... But twenty quid is twenty quid, the engine is new, well maintained & the fuel lines are Ethanol/Covid proof, I'll probably won't know if it's any good or not - until I take great pleasure chucking it into a raging fire in 2023.

19 minutes ago, barefoot said:

Yes, it comes in a little cage which is mounted in the engine bay on the LHS - the carb/air filter is on the other side. 

Like you I'd prefer... But twenty quid is twenty quid, the engine is new, well maintained & the fuel lines are Ethanol/Covid proof, I'll probably won't know if it's any good or not - until I take great pleasure chucking it into a raging fire in 2023.

Where did you get it from? And I take you have the engine at full temp with no issues?