Fabergé Greggs: Camper Master Cylinder woes

Fabergé Greggs

7 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Is the electrical bit on the back actually connected to the lock part and has it got all its wires attached?

Pop the Vespa badge off and there is 1 screw holding on the "horncast", you can get to the back of the switch.

That’s tomorrows job then. 👍

25 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

A quick squizz of probably not the right wiring diagram (GT200 was all I could find) shows that everything goes through the main 15A fuse which I think is mounted on the starter relay under the seat somewhere so deffo check that too.

GTS250 Wiring Diagram.pdf

The thing that makes me think the main fuse is ok is that it looks like the seat solenoid also goes through that fuse, and it's working. God knows though 

6 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Probably being thick here, but why are the GTS250s so nickable?

I guess a combo of being fast but not a maxi scooter makes them good for city getaways, they're trendy with the kids, when you crash it you can stick the engine  into one that's registered as a 125. 

Well now, some fiddling happened. 

All the fuses checked out ok, so took the ignition switch off and soaked it in a little bath of alcohol, whilst operating it with pliers. Success! Well, kind of. it's still very iffy but at least I can get the ignition on now if I hold the pliers in the right place. 

IMG_5532.thumb.jpeg.1013ca3daf3ff52f85d175c92a1caa79.jpeg

That let me get the ignition on for long enough to get a flashing immobiliser light with a specific sequence, translated as: Can't see the antenna/key. I'm kinda worried that if the ECU is fucked or it's lost the keys it's gonna be really expensive. I had heard that they can be fussy, after I'd just about given up taping keys to the antenna I tried one more time.. 

IMG_5531.thumb.jpeg.9a4ea7007d200330d9e7e0871afc2dd2.jpeg

No immobiliser light! Yay! 

Turning the starter over told me that the battery is fucked though, booo. 

Enlisting a colleague's car got us this... 

She runs! 

As a bonus I gave it some juice and it managed to free off the back brake under it's own RAW power. 250cc's for the win! So now I just need a battery and I can ride it around the car park! This bit of a project is pure joy before you have to tackle all the annoying jobs. 

• Fabergé Greggs changed the title to Fabergé Greggs: Free Vespa... Progress!

New ignition switch @ £11.75 and a new battery @£35.95 means this "free" Vespa is sailing perilously close to having cost £50 goddamit. 

Look at where we're at: 

Tell you what,  being used to a manual 2 stroke with 8hp or whatnot, the way this thing takes off with 21hp and 20Nm with a flick of the wrist is IMPRESSIVE! Can't wait to get it out and about for the traffic light grand prix! 

28 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

At 20p per cc that is still strong value.

I think it's only really rust that kills them off.

Top brummage.

Aye, value is still strong so far!

Now I know it fundamentally works, next step is to get it all cleaned up underneath, hopefully without having to crack out the sparkly stick. 

I can’t get it roadworthy too quickly mind, it needs to be carefully choreographed with getting a license. 

TBH the fact its still running a 250 number plate must be pretty rare, fair play for going legit as you'll probably be the only one in London doing so.

I was gonna ask if you were planning to do the test on it as they were gonna let you do an A2 on a 250, but for one the gov.uk site still sez 395cc, and for two the minimum was gonna be 245cc and a GTS is 244cc....

12 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

TBH the fact its still running a 250 number plate must be pretty rare, fair play for going legit as you'll probably be the only one in London doing so.

I was gonna ask if you were planning to do the test on it as they were gonna let you do an A2 on a 250, but for one the gov.uk site still sez 395cc, and for two the minimum was gonna be 245cc and a GTS is 244cc....

Way back in the pre-Brexit days they were talking about bringing us into line with Europe, in allowing someone with a 125 license to do a course to “unlock” bigger bikes which was all part of my master plan. 

Now I think I’m gonna have to stop faffing and do the full beans. 

• 2 months later...

Pretty pleased to say that I passed my big bike test today after about 15 years of really wanting to get round to it.

Obviously, instead of getting something roadworthy to do my new big commute on, the Friday night me is saying "buy this fucked version of the bike that you really really want"

s-l1600.jpg

• Fabergé Greggs changed the title to Fabergé Greggs: Treat yo'self?

hard to get bits for (even 15 years ago)

engine completely different to 91 on (which they then made for 23 years and put in everything)

if youve had a go on a 600 from say the last ten years riding a mk1 cbr6 is like riding a 125 theyre that small (rode one to france and needed a chiropractor afterwards im not a small chap :D )

27 minutes ago, hairnet said:

hard to get bits for (even 15 years ago)

engine completely different to 91 on (which they then made for 23 years and put in everything)

if youve had a go on a 600 from say the last ten years riding a mk1 cbr6 is like riding a 125 theyre that small (rode one to france and needed a chiropractor afterwards im not a small chap :D )

Good intel thanks! How does the mk2 compare size wise? 

Congrats on the test pass m9.

Have a look at the VFR 750 as well, the pre single sided swingarm ones tend to be cheap and they look kinda like that vintage of CBR, well made and a little bigger. Deffo fast enough and make a good noise too. Just watch for rusty exhausts as they are coin to replace due to the amount of pipeage needed for a V4.

This is actually a later one but seems decent with a years test, the older ones sometimes pop up in serviceable condition for SHITE PRICE which to me is about 500-750 (£1 per cc innit)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234470457319

1 hour ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Pretty pleased to say that I passed my big bike test today after about 15 years of really wanting to get round to it.

Obviously, instead of getting something roadworthy to do my new big commute on, the Friday night me is saying "buy this fucked version of the bike that you really really want"

s-l1600.jpg

Have a few good drinks. Then buy it.

11 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

s-l1600.jpg

Worth the purchase for the color scheme alone, top rad!

I know nothing of motorcycles, but that one has a turquoise saddle and looks like every 1980s graphic representation of 'an superbike' and therefore you'd be silly not to buy it, right? Who cares about things like parts availability, performance or anything else when you have TURQUOISE AND PINK?

Please be carefuly though M8 and don't kill yourself now you've got yr big boy licence, thx

On 4/8/2022 at 9:46 PM, Dave_Q said:

Congrats on the test pass m9.

Have a look at the VFR 750 as well, the pre single sided swingarm ones tend to be cheap and they look kinda like that vintage of CBR, well made and a little bigger. Deffo fast enough and make a good noise too. Just watch for rusty exhausts as they are coin to replace due to the amount of pipeage needed for a V4.

This is actually a later one but seems decent with a years test, the older ones sometimes pop up in serviceable condition for SHITE PRICE which to me is about 500-750 (£1 per cc innit)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234470457319

VFR is a great shout! I think I might have played too much GTA Miami Vice as a youth and now a bike has to be white though, or display

On 4/9/2022 at 3:26 PM, barrett said:

every 1980s graphic representation of 'an superbike' 

It's true kids, computer games will ruin your life. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Fabergé Greggs changed the title to Fabergé Greggs: That free Vespa that “wasn’t too rusty”

It's a shitter but not a massive surprise, the good news is that until the concourse judges lie on the floor to look underneath it nobody can tell what it looks like as long as it's solid. 

There is also a chap on the GTS FB page by the name of GTS Parts who sometimes has frame cuts to sell, think I have seen floors for £75 or so which could save some fabrication?

Or just crudely hammer a bit of fridge side over and MIG it on, the MOT man careth not either way

• 1 month later...

Where we at? The Morris is being delightful as ever. So much so that I treated it to some new rear tires to match the front ones (Nankang 155/80 R12). The rear ones were about 30 years old so this was looong over due. 

Here it is parked next to something infinitely less desirable. 

IMG_6064.thumb.jpg.edd799276b313f46e7109cdb31c05800.jpg

It rewarded me by the indicators going wonky which I traced to the flasher unit, presumably because Lucas.

1126572156_IMG_60662.thumb.jpeg.8d9ce9cd91232c5cdad4800cf56432a2.jpeg

I had a 2 pin solid state one kicking around for the scooters, which according to the wiring diagram, shouldn't work. However, it does. Presumably because Lucas. 

IMG_6068.thumb.jpeg.30e2cae0467e701a78b0a3c73e15a201.jpeg

This brought a very bright and consistent flash rate, even at idle with the headlights and wipers on and stuff. Very non-Lucas. 

Anyway, talking of scooters, that Vespa GTS has been on my list of things to sort for aagggeees. Remember that hole in the floor? 

IMG_6791.thumb.jpg.eca3aec3fb516286dc777bf4643fd49b.jpg

Well it looked like this 

IMG_6796.thumb.jpeg.6cb572b09396a994b3a4318de1062e91.jpeg

(not pretty I know)

Then it looked like this after some skillfully applied red hammerite: 

IMG_6797.thumb.jpeg.ddbd3d7c70533f3abe53cdb773be1678.jpeg

Then I had to faff around getting indicators to work, bleeding the brakes, changing a couple of bulbs, pumping the tires up, applying zip ties to broken bodywork, all which took an annoying amount of faff. 

Then I pinged down to the only MOT station I could find that would see me there and then... 

1678090920_Screenshot2022-05-24at18_38_23.thumb.png.8dab434cb14b9e11c3620f573a49e828.png

DOH! He was closing shortly, so gave me 30 mins to get home to try and fix it before he left for the day. 20 mins of that was travelling time though, giving me 10 mins to fix it. Eeek. 

Switch tested ok, I could get voltage to the horn, but no horn. Must be the unit itself. I smacked it on the ground a couple of times but that didn't help. Then I noticed it had a little screw on the back that didn't appear to do anything, which I removed. This caused the horn to go "click". Then when I screwed the screw back in, the horn went "HORN". Still to this day I do not know what that screw does. Anyway, never mind that, because: 

181810322_Screenshot2022-05-24at18_42_33.thumb.png.c30cdd03802f94272aa79955ebb82873.png

Yay! Does anyone want to buy it? Whereas once upon a time it felt big and very fast, since riding a 650 on my test I need much, much more speed. Might roffle if there's interest. 

IMG_6801.thumb.jpeg.f99b296ff2365a9891dacda91329492b.jpegIMG_6798.thumb.jpeg.4adcbe48f7c66b765ccc1d1ef16cf393.jpeg

• Fabergé Greggs changed the title to Fabergé Greggs: Vehicular happenings