Today on Terrifying Product Recalls

djoptix

Assuming people pay by card, do you think they could actually contact every customer who bought one.  I get "marketing spam" emails frequently from Euro crap pats, and not one of them has had this warning, which leads me to believe that putting up a sign in shop is not even the least they could do. 

27 minutes ago, New POD said:

Assuming people pay by card, do you think they could actually contact every customer who bought one.  I get "marketing spam" emails frequently from Euro crap pats, and not one of them has had this warning, which leads me to believe that putting up a sign in shop is not even the least they could do. 

I think actually that's their legal obligation. They don't have to contact every purchaser about the product. Like @Jikovron said, these are lethal. So it shows how much they're actually that bothered by it. 

Best thing to do would be, if you have one obviously, to attach it to a spring and bring it in as such. "I was half way through using them when I saw they could kill me, so I thought it would be best if you dealt with it".

I can’t find the video but there is a yank guy on YouTube who used rope to hold a spring in compression and put a cannon ball on top. He then set fire to the rope and the bloody thing went off like a cannon and threw the ball at least 100ft in the air. Lots of energy in one of those springs.......

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

I can’t find the video but there is a yank guy on YouTube who used rope to hold a spring in compression and put a cannon ball on top. He then set fire to the rope and the bloody thing went off like a cannon and threw the ball at least 100ft in the air. Lots of energy in one of those springs.......

I used to enjoy taking the whole strut out and taking the top bolt off with an windy gun. Obviously have the thing horizontal and pointing away from you...

The strut used to fly across the yard, very funny, if a tad irresponsible. And that was just Fiat Panda struts!

And check out my spring compressors. 

IMG_20200728_160103.thumb.jpg.223e8466d467872fff42300a3f3904f4.jpg

They have a special* bend in them that means they can fit behind a Lada front spring - just.

*(It definitely wasn't a moment where they both started sliding around the spring and I had to get a crowbar in there to lever everything out...) 

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

I used to enjoy taking the whole strut out and taking the top bolt off with an windy gun. Obviously have the thing horizontal and pointing away from you...

The strut used to fly across the yard, very funny, if a tad irresponsible. And that was just Fiat Panda struts!

I do that but i put the strut against a wall

4 hours ago, Jifflemon said:

3ae687eadf3e1ecc4569f72c1be03517.jpg

Had similar “fun” with (I think) silverline ones....

I’ve had a set of these for years and done loads of springs with them, never had an issue, but then again they may have been made back in the day when metal was easy obtained ?

What are people using them for? I use mine to dismantle/reassemble the suspension strut whilst it's off the vehicle. I never get anything beside my hands in the way of the top of the strut whilst I refit the top mount and nut. If that sounds rather sanctimonious I have a friend who lost an eye using a compression tool, which is an experience I am not keen to emulate.

When i was studying vehicle engineering at college, we had a day when we got introduced to using these.

Our lecturer told us he wouldn't be in the same room as them getting used because he'd 'retired' from being a mechanic after seeing his colleague get his head blown off when a spring compressor failed. Killed instantly.

He then wished us all the best with them and left the room.

Springs terrify me, I'm very careful to have the struts pointing left-right when I'm compressing them, in case things go wrong. I've had my set for years and they seem pretty safe, even if the screws that are meant to lock the springs in place are useless

s-l500.jpg

I had a set like this before, and I remember one flying past my head as I was taking the rear coils off a Sierra

s-l640.jpg

I changed the front strut on a Mondeo by compressing  the spring and keeping it compressed with beefy cable ties while installing it as the compressors didn't fit in the arch. It worked, but knocked the mud out of all 4 arches when I cut the 1st cable tie....... I won't be doing it again,  -- I don't buy Fords anymore!

IMG_20200728_095251.thumb.jpg.dfc5ed8112e08a631a4ee015319fb5cf.jpg

It’s the and pay any difference the cheeky chunts. They’re lucky you’re not slapping their arse for selling death shite. I won’t use these things unless I have absolutely no choice. Used to rap the slings in rope before winding them bastards down.

Still scared and would buy a used strut in preference.

Mrs PD saw me using a pair of spring compressors one day.  The next day she turned up with one of those foot operated things you can get at machine mart and demanded that I hand over the old ones which she slung in the boot of her car never to be seen again. Obviously she is a keeper. If any shitter wants to borrow it they are welcome. Im in Durham

I did a pair of c3 springs, but they are a like a pigtail spring i.e wider at top than bottom. The compressors same as the black ones above moved all about and really struggled to hold the spring because of the shape of the spring.

When I needed the top mount changing I fucked it off to the local garage, wouldn't like to do another c3/c2 again.

But surprisingly a Clio 182 front spring I would remove without a compressor as they are barely under any tension at all.

Just cut a couple of coils out of the springs, you'll never have to compress them again. On the plus side your car will look cool* too. ?

I have never* cut a Lada coil spring with a plasma cutter while it was still under tension and on the car either, and nobody can prove otherwise... 

*except when you have to plan your route to avoid every speed bump...