Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - Scrapped 20th August 2021 // Final Video To End 2021

St.Jude

Commiserations on this one, dude. I followed the Weldathon with interest, and increasing awe, as I really like these wee things - a schoolfriend owned an identical green SWB one as her first car c.1997 (posh parents).

Those with long memories may recall that it was a fucked master cylinder that finally made me call it a day in very similar circumstances on my silver Phase 1 Laguna RN, which I'd finally got to start and run successfully, only for the brake pedal to slowly sink to the floor... not unfixable, but not a feasible fix on a gravel driveway in the sleet for the fourth weekend running, with MrsDC looking increasingly tight-lipped each time I came roaring back into the kitchen bleeding, swearing and making the sink all dirty again...

If you have a plastic syringe, you could try sucking up some brake fluid from the reservoir - if there's rust particles swirling round in it, that might confirm an internal collapse... but I deffo wouldn't blame you for never wanting to go near it again. No-one can say you didn't do your damndest to save this 'un.

Sometimes you gotta know when to fold 'em, and all that...

Best of luck with the Lada, though!

4 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

Commiserations on this one, dude. I followed the Weldathon with interest, and increasing awe, as I really like these wee things - a schoolfriend owned an identical green SWB one as her first car c.1997 (posh parents).

Those with long memories may recall that it was a fucked master cylinder that finally made me call it a day in very similar circumstances on my silver Phase 1 Laguna RN, which I'd finally got to start and run successfully, only for the brake pedal to slowly sink to the floor... not unfixable, but not a feasible fix on a gravel driveway in the sleet for the fourth weekend running, with MrsDC looking increasingly tight-lipped each time I came roaring back into the kitchen bleeding, swearing and making the sink all dirty again...

If you have a plastic syringe, you could try sucking up some brake fluid from the reservoir - if there's rust particles swirling round in it, that might confirm an internal collapse... but I deffo wouldn't blame you for never wanting to go near it again. No-one can say you didn't do your damndest to save this 'un.

Sometimes you gotta know when to fold 'em, and all that...

Best of luck with the Lada, though!

Glad I'm not alone in having that moment! 

It is a shame, but we're a few days down the road now and I haven't changed my mind or feel any regret for not fixing it. The only regret I have is actually not calling it quits earlier and just doing the Lada. But that's wrong of me to think that, as it'll go in to the Lada all of the welding etc.

It's also made me appreciate my Corolla more, especially as my mate is still rocking about in it with no real desire to get his own wagon. So I doubt I'll get rid of the Corolla now.

1 hour ago, Nyphur said:

Just caught up on this thread, what a hateful bastard the car is but I admire your tenacity in getting it this far.

Well if you wait a week or two you'll see the video(s), as they're recorded but haven't been edited yet.

Ironically, I just realised I got this a year ago the other week. £350 on 6 months of, well I don't know. A car that got me from A to B and gave me a little bit more flexibility with what I could do. It took some plasterboards to drown out the neighbors, took us to Yorkshire on holibobs. £365ish I get back, which puts me down £100 (maybe even £200) for the time effort and expense for the other 6 months.

IMG_20210810_192120691_HDR.thumb.jpg.91f35f22abebd8005d086c31eafb72e6.jpg

Took the rest of the plastics off, stick them on eBay for £40. Same with the spare wheel and roof bars.

• St.Jude changed the title to Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - On the brink of scrap, get's collected 20th August
20 hours ago, St.Jude said:

Glad I'm not alone in having that moment! 

It is a shame, but we're a few days down the road now and I haven't changed my mind or feel any regret for not fixing it. The only regret I have is actually not calling it quits earlier and just doing the Lada. But that's wrong of me to think that, as it'll go in to the Lada all of the welding etc.

It's also made me appreciate my Corolla more, especially as my mate is still rocking about in it with no real desire to get his own wagon. So I doubt I'll get rid of the Corolla now.

Well if you wait a week or two you'll see the video(s), as they're recorded but haven't been edited yet.

Ironically, I just realised I got this a year ago the other week. £350 on 6 months of, well I don't know. A car that got me from A to B and gave me a little bit more flexibility with what I could do. It took some plasterboards to drown out the neighbors, took us to Yorkshire on holibobs. £365ish I get back, which puts me down £100 (maybe even £200) for the time effort and expense for the other 6 months.

IMG_20210810_192120691_HDR.thumb.jpg.91f35f22abebd8005d086c31eafb72e6.jpg

Took the rest of the plastics off, stick them on eBay for £40. Same with the spare wheel and roof bars.

link?

5 hours ago, 666jjp said:

link?

To what?

I've not had chance to do anything with the videos yet, but I remember I did the first one about the subframe.

As for the flared arches and stuff like that that's going to be sold, I've nothing for them yet as I still think someone might come in an rescue it.

1 hour ago, 666jjp said:

ebay, saw this and thought they were already on there, good news that it may be saved.

Ah!

I'll put it up when definitely no one wants to save it, as it'd be a dick move to have sold bits of the car only for someone to save it.

But, honestly, I doubt it

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here we are.

IMG_20210820_115031574_HDR.thumb.jpg.4ded2fabc3a040a16a8f17df6597aedc.jpg

Sold to the scrap man. We'll leave it at that. I'll go about putting the spare wheel and other bits that should've gone on it but didn't. Now I also realise that the two rear seats are in the back of the MG! 

The only regret I have is for not driving this through the reception of Adrian Flux. Cancel that insurance policy eh?

Can't help but look at that reg. AWW. Yeah, fucking AWW is right. AWW it did what it did. AWW I did what I did. And AWW that it's gone.

But it makes good entertainment, does it not? Two videos on YouTube coming about this, so the very least this fucking thing can do is give me some sweet sweet ad revenue!

• St.Jude changed the title to Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - Scrapped 20th August 2021 // The Soon-to-be Zanussi
1 hour ago, St.Jude said:

Well, here we are.

IMG_20210820_115031574_HDR.thumb.jpg.4ded2fabc3a040a16a8f17df6597aedc.jpg

Sold to the scrap man. We'll leave it at that. I'll go about putting the spare wheel and other bits that should've gone on it but didn't. Now I also realise that the two rear seats are in the back of the MG! 

The only regret I have is for not driving this through the reception of Adrian Flux. Cancel that insurance policy eh?

Can't help but look at that reg. AWW. Yeah, fucking AWW is right. AWW it did what it did. AWW I did what I did. And AWW that it's gone.

But it makes good entertainment, does it not? Two videos on YouTube coming about this, so the very least this fucking thing can do is give me some sweet sweet ad revenue!

nick-hot.gif

• 1 month later...

Finally got round to editing the video.

The whole video, from March through to August, took over 2 1/2 hours. Far too much like a Peter Jackson Hobbit thing for me.

So here is the condensed version, at 93 minutes: 

Part 3 will come in the next month or two. I like to drag these things out y'see.

• St.Jude changed the title to Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - Scrapped 20th August 2021 // New Video For It
  • 3 months later...
  • St.Jude changed the title to Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - Scrapped 20th August 2021 // Final Video To End 2021