Jump to content

Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - Hobbyweld 15 isn't the same as Hobbyweld 5, and it costs you a good 6 hours of a Saturday to make the mistake right.


Recommended Posts

Well I mean, I was going great guns really.

IMG_20210531_153945351_HDR.thumb.jpg.dda10e0a199f8cf9ffd25670c0310ecb.jpg

IMG_20210531_160745112_HDR.thumb.jpg.6e1d35922e84cf2ad6577e5065d29619.jpg

Then I offered it up to the car, and it's at this point I remembered I should've just tacked the steel.

IMG_20210531_162233788_HDR.thumb.jpg.d19e09dac77b09261cc02030039a3d37.jpg

IMG_20210531_162251673_HDR.thumb.jpg.21925264809a66bdc0e87ac44b361ec5.jpg

Don't know right what's happened. I think my template, which I made from the bit I cut off, may have had a drop.

That's enough for me today. I'm sunburnt again, and disappointed with that repair panel.

Anyway, onward!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually no, the bit I cut off hasn't bent.

IMG_20210531_163311676.thumb.jpg.d146ad32ea720993c147ea08034101dc.jpg

I'm not sure how I screwed the pooch on that so badly to be honest. But I can cut a V at a specific part of that and bent it back and it should be good to go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Measure... many times cut/weld  2 maybe 3 times. 🤷‍♂️ . A pain but easily rectified,  the thing is you are still making progress.

I (think) I have dyscalculia, the dyslexia of maths. So measuring loads of times never helps. I have to measure and go away and forget about it, then go back to it and measure it just to make sure it's fine. 

I'll cut the V tonight and try it again tonight, as we're blessed with actual sunshine!

11 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Welding skillz improved beyond recognition. 11.5 out of 10.

I was quite impressed with myself when I did that - until I offered it back to the car :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, St.Jude said:

I (think) I have dyscalculia, the dyslexia of maths. So measuring loads of times never helps.

Interesting.  I believe I have this, but it has not stopped me doing engineering things all my life.  I can work in Imperial or Metric as required but find Imperial easier, I think because mistakes are easier to spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

From the pics it Looks like the welding has just distorted and pulled it out of shape to me,  bit to much heat for thin sheet in a short time. 

Great welding and the tin shaping is very good. 

Top work!

I had another look today as I left my bluetooth thing in the garage. I got the old piece, the new piece, and the paper template I made from the old piece. The paper template, when it's flat, matches the new piece I made. The paper template when flat, doesn't match the old piece. So I duffed it up on the template.

14 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

Interesting.  I believe I have this, but it has not stopped me doing engineering things all my life.  I can work in Imperial or Metric as required but find Imperial easier, I think because mistakes are easier to spot.

I was meant to get checked before Coronavirus kicked off, as I'm a software developer and I kept making really silly/simple mistakes with numbers. It would explain a lot for the last 10 years anyway!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ian_Fearn said:

Welding skillz improved beyond recognition. 11.5 out of 10.

Having once had a go at welding (which is enough to allow me to hold forth with authority upon the subject anywhere on the interweb), I concur.

Plus even I know that there is a big difference between welding thick pieces of clean metal together where no once will see them, and repairing thin, easily distorted car bodywork. You've already achieved miracles with this fucking thing, don't be deterred by the odd minor cock up.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, warch said:

Having once had a go at welding (which is enough to allow me to hold forth with authority upon the subject anywhere on the interweb), I concur.

Plus even I know that there is a big difference between welding thick pieces of clean metal together where no once will see them, and repairing thin, easily distorted car bodywork. You've already achieved miracles with this fucking thing, don't be deterred by the odd minor cock up.

 

Thank you!

I rectified the cock up, but it's still got a little gap at the bottom. Nothing major, I've a strip of an off cut that will fit the gap without an issue. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

More going on.

I haven't quite finished with the one sheet I bought, but decided for speed I'd cut the strip from the fresh sheet.

IMG_20210609_183233_130.thumb.jpg.b3fd51ffb242484a88078823df5fd0e6.jpg

Made a new panel, and tacked it together, then checked it again. This time, thankfully, it was a good fit. Ish. Got a little to fettle but will do that when it's complete on the car.

IMG_20210609_184158189_HDR.thumb.jpg.449294859183aea47f2a9ba1ab79ae61.jpg

IMG_20210609_184208401_HDR.thumb.jpg.f69d1f010035770dbb5c47dab0f22b9f.jpg

IMG_20210609_184322271_HDR.thumb.jpg.115e20770c396b449da742ce0916f7c3.jpg

IMG_20210609_184920465_HDR.thumb.jpg.8b79f7027ff509717e939178230a3baf.jpg

And the violin - that's et viola isn't it? - another section offered up and welded on (not in this photo).

Polish_20210609_205254775.thumb.jpg.675ad2f83aebf5b89262beeffe1caca7.jpg

Tacked one bit on the underside of the arch. Light was crap and I needed to do a bench.

The rust is from the flash rain we had at the weekend, when I was drunk, and didn't even think I had left that unprotected. I'll Vactan in when I grid back the welds. All of that panel, by the way, is welded. 

I'm so used to the panels flexing, now it's solid. Even the bit above, although I have warped it slightly. Nothing the filler won't sort out! 

Or a hammer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, St.Jude said:

I have learnt that I fucking hate welding upside down, and that there is a reason these boys who do this day in/out use a rotisserie! 

Yeah, you've got to love working on things like inner sills or arches whilst lying on your back under the car... No room for a mask so you end up stunt welding with your eyes shut, a process guaranteed to produce a beautiful weld 😅 It's also inevitable that some molten metal will drop down your sleeve and bore a hole in your arm at some point when you're working with your arms up in the air.

I've been admiring your commitment to repairing the rot on this Rav4, because a) I think they're brilliant trucks which are getting rarer so it's good to see one being saved and b) I've got a Subaru Legacy that needs almost identical welding doing to it which I've been putting off for ages because I know it's going to be an utter ball ache. Seeing your progress is very enouraging!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2021 at 11:09 AM, Rust Collector said:

Yeah, you've got to love working on things like inner sills or arches whilst lying on your back under the car... No room for a mask so you end up stunt welding with your eyes shut, a process guaranteed to produce a beautiful weld 😅 It's also inevitable that some molten metal will drop down your sleeve and bore a hole in your arm at some point when you're working with your arms up in the air.

I've been admiring your commitment to repairing the rot on this Rav4, because a) I think they're brilliant trucks which are getting rarer so it's good to see one being saved and b) I've got a Subaru Legacy that needs almost identical welding doing to it which I've been putting off for ages because I know it's going to be an utter ball ache. Seeing your progress is very enouraging!

Years of boxing have given me a high pain threshold, so it's not even the pain of the blobs that I hate. It's the mask, making my head twice as large (and I already have a fat head), making it hard to get comfortable, then realising the weld isn't great. The frustration builds as there is no real good outcome from the badness of it all. With the panels I've made, it's orgasmic in comparison. When it's right it's great. The payoff of suffering to get it right, of having a right panel, makes it great. But I don't get that with welding upside down, and that's what's difficult.

I miss my Legacy. I shouldn't have sold it. But the bloke I sold it to scrapped it even though it wasn't in bad condition. I might get another one day, I've suffered with one rotten Jap car another one wouldn't hurt!

But I would say, if you've the money, try and get the pattern panel instead of what I did. But that's up to you, your wallet etc. I'm tight, and I've paid more in time than money because of it.

-

As for today, I was out the door at 8:30, thought the gas was low. Went to Car Spares, he gives me a bottle. I get home - he's given me Hobbyweld 15, not the 5 I gave him. Called them up, they don't have it so it's being brought across in a few hours. 

So until then, I made the mistake of telling the wife I couldn't do anything, so I'm being dragged off to look at cots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

3pm came and I got the bottle of gas. It brought me to 4pm to get anything done, and I would only be half way through if I started. So I didn't do anything.

Except for buying a camping trolley, cutting it, and adding it to the welding trolley I made. Even replaced the bungee cord hold the bottle with a chain.

IMG_20210612_173059352.thumb.jpg.6d62c4d3ab3fc50affd2b48ba4f3c063.jpg

This means I don't have to carry it to the car, and back again, when I start and finish the work. I also moved the fuel tank to my storage unit, so that's another thing I don't have to move.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been on the Fourtrak this afternoon too. So I’m currently drunk on Japanese off roader rust, but this is looking great. 

Keep at it, it’ll soon be done. That’s what I tell myself often. Or rather what the voices say. It’s not like normal weekend activities like chilling out seem much fun. I’d much rather burn my armpits with weld blobs, whilst covering myself in rust, dust and powdered cow pooh.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rickvw72 said:

I’ve been on the Fourtrak this afternoon too. So I’m currently drunk on Japanese off roader rust, but this is looking great. 

Keep at it, it’ll soon be done. That’s what I tell myself often. Or rather what the voices say. It’s not like normal weekend activities like chilling out seem much fun. I’d much rather burn my armpits with weld blobs, whilst covering myself in rust, dust and powdered cow pooh.

There's absolutely nothing to do really is there? No pubs, no football, no barbecues, no films to watch, so I might as well do the welding!

I am one piece away from a "completed" welded arch though. Which would then mean I can attack it with the flap disc, then the primer, filler, primer, paint. Which is a great position to be in.

Until I remember I've got to do this all again on the other side.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • St.Jude changed the title to Toyota RAV4 GX "Jack" - Hobbyweld 15 isn't the same as Hobbyweld 5, and it costs you a good 6 hours of a Saturday to make the mistake right.

So for the first time since March, I've got an arch and wheel well made of 1mm steel. I dare say it's been years since it's had steel this thick right here too.

IMG_20210616_195527_782.thumb.jpg.949e21306beea10c189806f3cce94b61.jpg

I've warped the panel at the top, I've got to add some spots to some places I've missed, and remind myself what I did with the sill. Then I can prime this all up and move on to the driver's side.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...